U/S yesterday and two vessel cord?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2009, 09:33 AM
..Red..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies. I had my u/s yesterday. Everything looked perfect and SHE was moving around a lot some of the pictures are blurry. Yup, it's a girl. So we will be a house full of girls; poor DH!

Anyhow I got the diagnosis of a two vessel cord. They said I could have an amnio (almost felt like I had to until I spoke to the genetic counselor), but maybe I should? I don't know. I am afraid of the risk of miscarriage. Although I've been informed the risk is there either way, I just don't know which is higher. In any case, everything looked fine except for this, so they have scheduled a fetal echo at 22 weeks. So if anyone else has this, I'd love to hear.

Some pictures!

April 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Congrats Red - beautiful pics of your little girl!!!

I don't know what a 2 vessel cord means? is that a marker for a potential issue that would be confirmed (or excluded) by having an Amnio? Hopefully some of the other ladies have experience with that and can give you good advice on your options...HUGS

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
megal40's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. I can't speak from personal experience but I have a friend that had this when she was carrying her son (her 2nd child). She opted for no amnio or other tests. Jacob is a healthy and fun 3 year old boy today. They did monitor her more closely (I think an u/s every month and every two weeks at the end). I hope that helps. Hopefully you will get some more detailed info from ladies on this board. (Also maybe the high risk pregnancy board?)

Good luck. I hope everything turns out just fine and all your girls get to drive DH crazy!

April 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
There are usually two arteries and one vein in the umbilical cord. In a two vessel cord there are one of each. This means either one was absorbed or just never formed. Apparently this can be a marker of other chromosomal issues or other physical defects. They saw nothing out of the ordinary to believe that it would be something major (no spinal bifida etc). Usually with one of the rarer trisomies you will see some other defects too, but not always. Heart and kidney defects are by far the most common, but might not show up on an amnio if it's just a defect and not a chromosomal problem. It's all so convoluted and complex. I didn't need anything but happy news, not a roller coaster.

And why do u/s tech's have to be quiet? Dont' they know it's better if they talk! I thought forsure there was a problem because the tech moved so fast that I couldn't see the baby move.

April 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Danielley08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know there are several ladies over on the high risk board that have gone through this...one girl from my old DDC (Nov08) had one and her little man came out perfectly fine...I know sometimes it can lead to IUGR (intra-uterine growth restriction) making her a smaller baby...but as for the other chromosomal issues I'm not as sure about...did you get a quad screen done? And what was the genetic counselor's advice?

(Boys' birthdays are backwards...lol)
~Thank you to claire1979 for my siggy~
April 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I didn't have the Quad. I could still have the AFP, but I honestly dont' want a false positive either. Not to mention that I just don't know if I can afford it. My insurance isn't great and I'm not looking forward to the bills. Genetic counselor wasn't too concerned, but the OB seemed a bit more pressuring. So I don't know. But I am going back over to HRP soon anyhow. It was the next stop.

April 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
aww Red more HUGS for you - i know you didn't need one more thing to worry about. You should definitely only do testing if you're comfortable with it - and i'd be nervous about false +s making you worry needlessly too. Hopefully some of the ladies on the high risk board can share some positive stories to reassure you no matter what you decide to do on the testing. HUGS

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Red, I'm sorry you are dealing with this. It sounds like your LO has a really good chance of being OK though which is really great.

Your right, the Quad/AFP tests do have a high risk of false positives, but they can also be a great releiver of stress if the test come back in the normal range. It is a very personal decision to make.
April 17th, 2009, 11:27 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
I don't have any advice, just wanted to say you're in my t&p and hopefully there is nothing to worry about. And a huge Congrats on the girl!!!!!

April 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Red....Yay! The pink aisle Congratulations! That is soooo exciting! What did the girls say? How did you tell them?

With the cord, I'm not sure what I would do... I'm too afraid of amnios, but, I think I'd have the AFP done. I don't know. But, please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. And let us know what you decide.

I love the u/s pics!!!!

April 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Yay a girl!!

I'd like to add a success story. My best friend's nearly 3-year-old daughter Katy had a 2 vessel cord. And the baby girl she's pregnant with also does.

Anyway, Katy is perfectly healthy, perfectly normal little girl. So hopefully yours will be too!

April 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I'm sorry it was mixed! I've heard of a two vessel cord, but other than being a little more careful to watch for IUGR I had never known it could be an indicator of any other problems. I have heard of people that have had it, and none of their kids have had complications.

April 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Red, I don't know anything about 2 vessel cords. I did want to say congratulations on joining team pink!!
April 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Danielley08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been doing some research...you got me curious...and here is something that I found:

When the diagnosis of SUA (single umbilical artery) is made on antenatal ultrasound, a detailed anatomic survey should be performed. A fetal echocardiogram should be considered. Genetic counseling should also be considered. If no other anomalies are revealed on ultrasound, an amniocentesis for chromosome evaluation is not absolutely indicated. Finally, a repeat ultrasound in the third trimester to evaluate fetal growth may be appropriate, as well as close antenatal monitoring because of the associated risks of IUGR, preterm birth, and stillbirth.

So it sounds to me, if they found no other abnormalities on the u/s then there really isn't a need for an amnio...I'd say they'll probably just want to do a little more detailed follow up to monitor her growth...

I'm sure she'll be beautiful and healthy

(Boys' birthdays are backwards...lol)
~Thank you to claire1979 for my siggy~
April 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
CONGRATS on your daughter!!!! How exciting!!

I'm sorry about the two vessel cord worrying you! I agree with Danielle, and think you should go check out the High risk board. I hung out there quite a bit during the 1st half of my pregnancy, and there were quite a few who floated through there that had babies with a two vessel cord. Not a one of them, while I was there (or that came back to offer support to a new lady that joined the board with this issue) had a bad outcome. It is scary, there can be complications, but I think they are a much smaller percentage than the babies that are born healthy and happy. So my prayers are that you and your precious little girl are part of the group that stays happy and healthy, and that you don't get too stressed out over it (although of course that's easier said than done, I know).

Congrats again on joining Team Pink!!!

April 20th, 2009, 09:41 AM
So everyone says not to worry. At least not about the two-vessel cord. Well except for the doctor. I see my regular OB this week, so I'm sure we will have a discussion. Looking forward to that. Now if the baby could move regularly, I'd be happy. Oh and names. I don't have a girl name that DH likes. UGH that hard part!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search