I'm scared and furious at my DR

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My MFM Dr decided to do the 2nd trimester screening even though I had told my regular OB no. I figured it was in my records I didn't want it. Well now I find out I have a 1:36 chance of this baby having Trisomy 18. My U/S showed nothing wrong but I'm still freaking out.
I have to see the MFM Dr monday and I'm going off on that man. I thought the blood work was due to MTHFR not this crap.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

April 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, no! That is so unfair! Hopefully they will be able to give you great news and you won't have to worry any more! I can't imagine how long the wait must be feeling! How did you respond when they gave you results for a test that you didn't want?!?!?!?! I'm so sorry you have to go through this... thinking of you!

April 18th, 2009, 01:31 AM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG! I would be so mad too! Im sorry you have to go through this hun

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
April 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was really unfair to take a test on your blood without consent. BUT it is REALLY good news that you had no markers for chromosomal problems with your last u/s. Did they factor in that fact when giving you your results. When I had my test done, they said something like 1 in 1000. After they found the cyst on the brain they moved it to 1 in 100. with the follow-up u/s my chance were back closer to the 1 in 1000. Since you had no markers, I would think that would increase your chances of a healthy baby by quite a bit.

I would also make sure that you do not have to pay for the test that you did not consent to. Those tests can be expensive.
April 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The OB came in to listen to the baby and measure me, he told me your blood results are back and it's positive for Trisomy 18. I asked him who ordered the test he said Dr L. and I told him I hadn't asked for the test, he was also mad. I went to his office he looked at all my U/S results including my NT scan and said something isn't right about the results because the baby appears to be healthy. Here's what I think the problem is my MFM Dr uses Sept 23 as my DD because of my First U/S the baby measured that date, my OB uses the 13 because of the next three U/S measurements. If the MFM Dr put the 23 on the test then there's a 10 day difference.
The OB said with the baby's heartrate being so high he didn't think there's anything to worry about but he also said as a parent he knows how scary it is because the screen came back 1:150 for Downs with his child(he and his wife are both OB's at the office) and she was fine. I wants me to have an amnio done just to give me peace of mind, but I'm too scared to have it done. I know a 1:36 chance equals out to about 2.27% chance so there's hope.
Of course all I have heard from people is how "God is in control if the baby has it, there's a reason", and "What's the point in worry about what you can't control". So what God punishes unborn children and parents now, I know I should say that but it's how they are making me feel.
Here's another interesting thing he kept referring to the baby as SHE.

April 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I don't think that those "God is in control" comments are at all helpful. And, I don't for a minute thing that, even if s/he isn't completely healthy, that it is a punishment.

I think the fact that you don't have any soft markers is an EXCELLENT sign that s/he is fine. The odds are still in your favor for a perfectly healthy baby!

April 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
That is ridiculous to have them do that without your consent. Everytime they should ask your consent every time they stick you! I mean really! Ok, I know Downs and Trisomy 18 are two totally different things and I would be scared to death if I were you. But on the other hand, my brother's friend that was due 9 days before me had a 1 in 7 chance from these tests about Downs they were terrified and all that good stuff talking about the worse and abortion because the father can't handle less the perfect, but she had the amnio and the baby is perfectly normal and now healthy. I would consider it but if you don't want it done that is your choice. I would probably not want it done either, but that is because I'm a wuss. But I'm not going to say it's "God thing" because then God has done a lot of bad things in people's life and it is definitely not your fault, but ask them why they performed these tests without your consent and did they really have a good reason for it? Give them hell!

Thanks to cavewoman

April 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Kristen, I have so many reason for not having the amnio, one being the fear of miscarriage, I have a ton of scar tissue from a previous surgery, plus I'm a wuss. Even if that 2.2% chance showed s/he had Trisomy 18, I wouldn't terminate, I would want to have my child with me as long as possible.
I'm a christian but I believe that some things just happen not because GOD but because we are human and have flawed bodies. I have been told my thinking is wrong but these same people that tell me that believe that every good and bad thing is because of GOD's will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
I don't think that those "God is in control" comments are at all helpful. And, I don't for a minute thing that, even if s/he isn't completely healthy, that it is a punishment.

I think the fact that you don't have any soft markers is an EXCELLENT sign that s/he is fine. The odds are still in your favor for a perfectly healthy baby!
DH's aunt also thinks the reason they didn't have children was because GOD was punishing her for pre-marital sex.

April 18th, 2009, 04:42 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
i don't blame you at all for being angry...there's a reason why they ask you for your consent before running these tests, and your right to not know these results has been completely violated! i can't blame you for being worried - i would be too - but definitely try to keep the risk in perspective...1 in 36 still means 35 babies come out perfectly...and i agree with the other ladies that the fact you have no other soft markers is definitely a very positive sign.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search