Swollen Feet & Other up-dated info.....

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do any of you know remedies for swollen feet?? My feet are getting so swollen, they turn purple with little white spots on them. I feel like I am going to get stretch marks on my feet!!!

OK, so I have had my blood pressure and urine checked, and that is OK. The only thing they found is that I have a heart murmmer which I have to go back to the dr tomorrow for. (I have been a bit short of breath lately)

for the swollen feet, I have tried laying on my left side, propping my feet up, cutting out salt, and putting a fan on my feet to cool them down. None of it works anymore - They are swollen all the time now. I wake up to feet that look like they belong to a 500lb woman!!

Last edited by IAMommy; April 24th, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
April 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
The only thing I found that helped mine was keeping them propped up allot and drinking allot of water, sorry i could not be more helpful

April 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am praying for you. Are your legs swelling?
Wish I could help but there was nothing I could do to get the swelling down when I was pregnant with Nick.
Are they sending you to a Cardiologist?

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

April 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
oh Sam.....I feel for you !
mine were so swollen with the pre eclampsia
I kept them propped up as much as possible.....I think there is some info in our Helpful Info Forum for swollen feet

April 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Sam, I'm so sorry...I'm no help, I just want to say that I hope it gets better for you.

April 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies! Dee, I'll take a look at the info forum...

Dr. Appt went great today, I saw the on-call Dr last time who didn't explain the murmmer at all, just that I had one that warrented blood tests and a follow-up appt in 2 days. Today I saw my reg OB and he said that all the blood work came back OK, and that heart mummers can be completely normal in pg with all the extra blood that is pumping though you. So I'm not very worried about it at all.

Other than that.....He said that this LO is HEADS DOWN!!! YAY!!!! He also said that it looks like I have dropped a little, and the receptionist at the front desk said the same thing. I know it will still be a few more weeks before b-day, but It's kinda awesome - this is like a first stepping stone twords delivery!!
April 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
Oh Sam, I'm glad they aren't worried about the murmur and everything came back normal. Woohoo for dropping and baby being head down. I can't wait to meet you little one. My feet stayed swollen like that the last few weeks. It is miserable!

April 24th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad your appointment went well! I had very badly swollen feet when I was pregnant with my son. I had to quit work 2 1/2 months early because I couldn't get shoes on my feet. The Dr. told me to put my feet up (I layed flat on my back with my feet propped on pillows for two days and it made almost no difference) and drink lots of water (I was drinking a case of water a week by myself, again it did nothing). I hope they go down for you. I know how uncomfortable it is. Your skin is so itchy and feels like it is about to split and it hurts to walk. If my DH gets of the PC, I will post pics of my feet. I was obsessed with them!

April 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Danielley08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HEAD DOWNNNN!!!!!

WOOHOO!! That is normally the hardest part to prepping for labor! Only 2 and a half more weeks and you are FULL term and we will be stalking you like mad!!!

(Boys' birthdays are backwards...lol)
~Thank you to claire1979 for my siggy~
April 26th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Enchanted Mumma's Avatar ♥KaLeNe♥
Send a message via Yahoo to Enchanted Mumma
I didn't get swollen feet with Taeleigh...but I have heard that drinking lots of water is supposed to help.

Thank you Heather mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for the most gorgeous siggy!!
April 26th, 2009, 01:40 AM
*Pamela*
I hope your feet are getting better, the other girls gave some great advice. You're so close now I can't believe your baby will be here soon!!!!

and I'm so glad that all your bloodwork came back normal and your blood pressure is good.
April 26th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sam,

I'm not quite as far a long as you, so I don't know if what I'm doing will keep working, but here is what I've done...

I started with swollen feet (all the way down to the toes) and ankles at about 26 weeks. I tried a few things that helped, but wasn't consistant about doing them, but when my dr. threatened to put me on bed rest, I became more diligent in working hard to keep them down. I'm not sure which of these things works the best, but the combination has worked for me, so I do all of them:
  1. Drink lots of water (for me at least 8 cups but usually more like 12). Water and milk is all I drink with an occasional juice. Soda will cause you to have to drink an extra 16 oz. of soda for every 12 oz can you drink because it dehydrates you.
  2. Reduce salt inktake. (I look at labels to make sure I don't eat anything in which a serving is more than 10% of the recommended daily allowance and I don't add salt to anything) (Boy, do I miss salt on my potatoes).
  3. Prop your feet up. (Luckily, I have a desk job and I've been able to rearrange my work station so that I can prop up my feet on another chair under my work table (instead of a desk). My work has been very accomodating, luckily).
  4. Take quick walk breaks. (I take 2 breaks in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and walk around my building 5 times at a very brisk pace. This takes about 5 minutes each time cuz the building isn't very large.
  5. Take a walk every other evening. (I take a longer walk (about 20 minutes) in the evenings every other night.
  6. Get DH to massage your feet/ankles. (I get my DH to massage them RIGHT after the long evening walk. The blood is flowing and it is a great time to push all of the fluid further up your leg. More than just massaging, it's important to push the fluids up your leg (I've even used a rolling pin).
  7. When sleeping on your side, don't put one leg on top of the other. (I put 2 pillows inside one pillowcase (for an extra thick pillow) and place it at my lower abdoman and put my top knee on the pillow (with my bottom leg extended straight) so that the weight of my top leg is not preventing any circulation to my bottom leg. Each time I wake up to go pee, I switch which side I am sleeping on to make sure both feet get the best circulation possible.)
I think that's about it -- I know it is a lot, but it has really helped me. On the weekends, it's much harder to do these things, but if I can keep on top of it and get the swelling down after a bad day, it works much better.

Best of luck to you -- let me know if you try any of these or if they work for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search