~<Must haves...and not so must haves>~

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Danielley08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For our BTDT moms...what was the one either gift or investment that you made that you can't live without?...and vice-versa...what's the one thing that was just a waste of money or space?

For the boys my BEST investment was my night time bottle warmer...I could make 2 bottles before bed...pop them in the little cooler...fill the water tubes and be ready to go till baby woke up...I kept it on my night side table so without turning on a big light I was able to warm a bottle...change baby...feed baby...and get them back to sleep without them ever really waking up all the way...

My biggest waste of money AND space was a diaper genie...pee diapers can just go in the regular trash and poop diapers we can just throw out in the big dumpster as we encountered them...the refills are so expensive and OMG the SMELL when you open that thing to empty it

(Boys' birthdays are backwards...lol)
~Thank you to claire1979 for my siggy~
April 26th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The best thing I ever had was a chair, it was a little Elmo rocker that had a seat belt and the back adjusted so they could lay back or sit up.. The boys hated bouncers but loved the elmo chair they used it until they were 18 months. This is Nick in the Elmo chair.

I miss that chair.

Biggest waste of money was bouncers.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

April 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well...you asked so here goes!

Have to Have....

For me a fetal doppler. I rented this one and it saved my sanity. I could hear the HB at home around 7 weeks: It's not cheap though! UGH
Fetal Doppler for Monitoring at Home - BabyBeat

Could NOT live without my Moby!
Moby Wrap, Inc. - Moby Wrap#

Diaper Depot : Target ($12.99 at Baby Depot and Babies R Us)

Amazon.com: The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer: Harvey Karp: Books (without a doubt the best thing I bought in a long time)

I own 3 packs of these and have always loved them for burp cloths..
Gerber 12-Pack Diaper Gauze Flatfold - Gerber Childrenswear - Babies "R" Us

My favorite blankets for everday use. GREAT to swaddle at night too.
Koala Baby Cotton Thermal Blanket - Blue Puppy - Babies R Us - Babies "R" Us

I didn't think I would like this... but I now own two. One is black and one is brown and green. ($10.97 at Wal-Mart I think) great for nursing in public or at home with company if ya don't want them to see your boobs
The First Years Breast Feed Nursing Wrap : Target

I LOVED this...
Amazon.com: The What to Expect Pregnancy Journal & Organizer: Heidi Murkoff, Sharon Mazel: Books ($10.97 at Wal-Mart)

As for gear... I have and love...
Fisher-Price Papasan Cradle Swing - My Little Lamb - Fisher-Price - Babies "R" Us

Chicco Cortina Travel System - Sahara - Chicco - Babies "R" Us

I have it in a different color...and it mainly collects baby gear in our room cause we co-sleep/bedshare but I still like the thing! Matthew has napped in it a couple times.
Eddie Bauer Bassinet - Newport Collection - Cosco - Babies "R" Us

I love these nail clippers and own three pair. I can never find them when I need them! LOL
Safety 1st Fold-up Nail Clipper

Johnsons and Johnsons baby q-tips. I thought they would be a waste of money....but they are great!

Have and is really a Have Not for me:

Nail clippers... I hated how bulky these are and hated them:
The First Years American Red Cross Deluxe Nail Clippers with Magnifier - Learning Curve - Babies "R" Us
The First Years American Red Cross Deluxe Nail Clippers with Magnifier - Learning Curve - Babies "R" Us

I have it in a different pattern but hate the thing. Matthew felt like he was reclined so far back. We used it once and I wish I could return the darn thing! But I got it as a shower gift and tossed the box once we put it together.
Walmart.com: Fisher Price - Open Top Take Along Travel Swing: Travel Solutions

This mobile is okay but I would not buy it again. We use it on the cradle in the living room. The sound isn't great and I don't like the angle the guys spin at..but Matthew does love it and it plays for 15 minutes without stopping
Tiny Love Symphony-in-Motion Mobile - Tiny Love - Toys "R" Us

Bumbo seat.... they are okay but I wouldn't pay full price for one. I got it off craigslist. Once he is a little older I may love it though...who knows.

Boppy pillow. The only thing I use it for is when my neice and god-daughter come over and hold him. Luckily I had two handed down to me so I didn't pay for them. I personally never felt comfortable nursing with it. I always felt he was positioned wrong. They are "okay" for nursing while at the puter though...but a pillow works just as good IMO.

Receiving blankets. I have tons and don't like them one bit. I am so glad I took a bunch of them back that I got as gifts. They are just too small to wrap him good in and they have very little "give" to them. I like the waffle ones sooo much better.

That's all I can think of right now and my internet decided to move slower than a turtle. UGH

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
For Tanith our must haves were her swing and bouncer. She would not sleep in her crib for the first 4 mos! The only time I got a minute of peace was when she was in one of the two. I also LOVED my wrap. And her Bumbo seat! She wanted to see everything, and loved this as soon as she could hold her head up on her own. Also a great alternative to those stupid plastic boosters when I took her to restaurants.

Waste of money was her play gym. She HATED tummy time, so to get her to do it I had to lay there and entertain her. There was a lot of stuff I tried her out in other people's first, so most things we knew we would actually use before we bought it.

April 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
biggest waste for us.....a wipe warmer....by the time I got the wipe out to her hiney is wasn't even warm anymore !

I loved our swing,bouncers, and still love the diaper genie
love the playtex bottles (drop ins)
crib sound soother helped sooooo much when she was a newborn!

if I think of more I will add it !

April 26th, 2009, 11:51 PM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My swing and bouncer was my best buy with Lily. I got loadsa use out of them. Jordan used his bouncer loads too, but he didnt have a swing as no one really had them then.

My most useless buy was a baby carrier. It was uncomfy, hard to put on and just generally a PITA so yeah, they were a waste of money for me.

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search