Need some garage sale tips!!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Danielley08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So with our move to NE approaching DH and I are going to have a garage sale to try and get rid of everything we don't want moved before the packers come...but...I'm having trouble deciding what decent resale values would be for some of the big stuff we are selling...can you guys give me your ??

These are the big items we are selling:

Couch (bought in 2004...beige/cream microfiber...few stains that I'm going to work on with a little elbow grease and where the back cushions are attached at the top there are a few tears...)
Loveseat (pretty much same as above)
TV Stand (bought in 2005...cherry woodish looking detailed in wrought iron...has large drawer for DVDs and stuff like that...then has a bottom shelf...shelf has chew marks from when Sarge was a puppy and made it his chew toy)
TV Tower (matches stand...no marks)
Armoire (Solid cherry wood...has open area where TV goes then 3 drawers below for storage...few nicks and scratches...was bought used)
2 Chest of Drawers (3 drawers each...they are that particle board type stuff you buy from Wal-Mart...we bought them as temporary bedside table/storage until we get our new bedroom suit...)
Crib (bought in 2004...used it for Cam and Keegan...few nicks and scratches...Honey Oak color...has ALL pieces and screws...and complete toddler and full bed transition kit)
Crib Bedding (still have ALL of the crib bedding we used for the boys...bumper, quilt, 2 sheets, bedskirt, valance, diaper stacker, and clothes hamper...was bought from JCP in 2004...its an antique sports theme)

Ok...I think that is the majority of the big stuff...whatever we don't sell at the garage sale I am going to list on Craigslist and the local paper...

When are getting all new living room and bedroom furniture when we move so we want to get rid of all this stuff...

Thanks for any and all input!!!

(Boys' birthdays are backwards...lol)
~Thank you to claire1979 for my siggy~

Last edited by Danielley08; April 26th, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
April 26th, 2009, 04:25 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We just had a garage sale Fri and Sat! LOL

I personally price things low to get them out of here. So if it were me...

Couch $75...take $50
Loveseat $60 take $30-40
TV Stand $40 take $25
TV Tower $50 take $30
Armoire $60 take $30-40
2 Chest of Drawers $20 take $10
Crib $60 take $40-50
Crib Bedding $50 take $40ish

I think the re-sale would be a lot higher on craigslist personally. I would try that first. We have gotten a lot more for stuff there vs. garage sales. I sold my leather couch and loveseat for $300 and it was something we got for free from a co-worker! LOL At a garage sale we would have maybe got $100 for both.

I love having garage sales, but get sooooo tired of the "will you take $xxx.xx instead?" game. Sometimes their take prices are so low you want to laugh at them. Those are the ones I always say "nope" to no matter what they ask. They pay sticker price I know I am a b***h.... but I would rather pack the stuff up then sell to people like that. I need to learn to price stuff higher than I want to sell it at. I usually put $1 on something I want $1 for. Then I end up selling it for .50 cause someone asked nicely. If I put $1.50 on it...then most likely would get the buck I was looking for

Anyways...now that you know way more than you wanted to know about my garage sales.... back to your regularly scheduled message board.......

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search