I know everything will be fine, but...

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
...the advice nurse called this morning with my quad marker screen results. My risk for Downs came back as a possible positive. She said the normal range for me would be 1:150 and mine was 1:120.

I was a mess when I was told. I even left work early. I called DH who said that 1:120 was not a huge difference from 1:150. That helped put my mind at ease. Also, the Oct. DDC ladies put it even more at ease. I have an appt with a genetic counselor on Tuesday, where I also get an u/s.

I do know that one factor was off and that was age of my pumpkin. According to one doctor, I measured 9 weeks and 4 days when I knew that I was 9 weeks 1 day. DH and I bded only once that cycle and I was using Opks, so I know that 9 weeks 4 days was wrong. Anyways, I had the test done at 16 weeks 6 days, but the date of 17 weeks 2 day would have been factored into the result. I don't think that would make much of a difference, though.

I will not hesitate to have an amnio if that is what the genetic counselor suggests. If that is the case, hopefully I can have it on Tuesday.

On a plus side, my ticker moved up one square today and I'll probably find out what I'm having tomorrow! (I was told to keep tomorrow's size and dating u/s appt.)
April 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Regular
I don't have a single helpful thing to say, except that I know it can be totally nerve racking and I'm sorry. Just try to stay positive and think happy thoughts :-) I think your DH is right though...that difference doesn't seem too scary.

I have never come into this community before, but I decided to stop by today and your post title just grabbed me - my whole pregnancy has been "I know everything is ok...but..." so I just had to come by and say hi, even though I don't really know anything about this specific issue.

If you do have the amnio, be sure to come back and update :-)

Daniel Luke, 9-2-09.
April 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
.kristen.'s Avatar Raising Little Marines
Send a message via AIM to .kristen. Send a message via Yahoo to .kristen.
I can't wait to find out. I am thinking about you and can't wait to hear an update. I sent you an email about the quad screen too! Keep your head up sweetie! (They can always be wrong!)

Thanks to cavewoman

April 29th, 2009, 05:12 PM
lynie07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there my name is lynda and l just want to let ya know that l know exactly what you are going through as l was told that my baby had 1 in 4 of having downs and l refused to have amnio as no matter we were going to keep our baby,then we had another scan few moths later to say it was now 1 in 8 so from then on l just knew my baby was going to be ok and only thought postive thoughts,then when l got to 28 weeks l had a scan and then they started off about the downs again and advised that l should have the amnio as the baby was showing big and also l had alot of fluid,so we decided to have one at 36 weeks and found out that our baby was healthy and now today we are holding a very healthy little boy, l know its easy said than done but try to stay positive and only think healthy and l wish you all the best
April 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Melanie0507's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really know much about the quad screen (I chose not to have it done), but just wanted to send you big and let you know that I am sending lots of T&Ps your way!
Owen 5/17/09 (Born with Hirschsprung's Disease)
And expecting our newest addition 5/7/12

April 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Thank you so much for all of your kind and supportive replies. They really help. I have been thinking positively today. I have heard of so many false positives and I just know that everything is going to be fine.
April 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Thank you so much for all of your kind and supportive replies. They really help. I have been thinking positively today. I have heard of so many false positives and I just know that everything is going to be fine.
April 30th, 2009, 01:19 AM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont know much about the quad screen hun as I declined all testing because of the high amounts of false positives I hear about. So I am sorry I can't offer any advise, I just wanted to send

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
April 30th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Danielley08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is what my doc told me about the quad screen...it isn't a "positive" or "negative" type result...it is a screener...which just means one of your hormones measured slightly different than what is considered "normal" so they recommend further testing...its not a test...it is kinda like a pap smear...just because you get abnormal results doesn't mean there is something wrong with you...just means the doc may to watch you a little closer...

I'll be praying that everything comes back normal and you get a clean bill of health of your baby bean...

(Boys' birthdays are backwards...lol)
~Thank you to claire1979 for my siggy~
April 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM
..Red..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also refused this test for that same reason. I didn't need or want the stress of a false positive. And honestly, when it came back that I had a two vessel cord (SUA) and my risk for chromosomal defects were higher than normal for my age, I declined the amnio I was offered. After researching it, the risk for miscarriage from an amnio is actually higher than some of the risks for the various trisomies that this baby "could" have. Since I had a stillbirth, I didn't want to risk that. Plus, as this point, we wouldn't terminate, so why stress about it? But that is just what we decided.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search