Owen is here

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Melanie0507's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, it's after 4 am in the morning here and have to get back to sleep before too long, but just wanted to let you all know that Owen arrived Sunday, May 17 (my EDD!!!) at 1255 pm. I had an unmedicated waterbirth, which was great, and Owen was 8lb 6oz, 21.5in long.

Everything was going great until about 4am the next morning. Here is a copy of the email that I just got done sending out to update our family and friends:

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update.

The readers digest version of what happened after we sent that first email is that Owen had a couple times in the middle of the night of spitting up/gagging on mucous. The second time, Thad asked the nurse to come in and as soon as she saw him, she realized his color was bad and rushed him to the nursery, where they had to do chest compressions and give him oxygen for about 30 seconds. He stabilized on his own quickly but was sent to the NICU for observation.

After lots of tests, he was transferred to NICU at Children's around 1130am Monday for more tests and was admitted there. The doctor's there have determined that Owen my have a bowel/colon issue and that may be what has been causing his problems. The are doing a colon biopsy sometime today and we will know the results about 24-48 hours later.

If they confirm what they currently suspect, he will need surgery in 1-2 weeks and then will be in the hospital for a couple weeks after that for recovery.

That is the shortened (very shortened!) version of what has been going on the last 24 hours. What was one of the best days of our lives quickly turned into the worst. This sounds like it will be a long, uphill battle for our family.

If you are a praying person, please pray for Owen and for our family. If you have any church prayer lists that you can put Owen on, please do that too. We need all the prayers we can get at this time.

So that is our update at the time. I wish I had better news to share, but unfortunately we are having a really rough time. As it says in the email, if you are a praying person, please pray for Owen and our family.

I probably won't be on much for a while, but will update as I can!

Thanks again for all your support during the pregnancy ladies. I couldn't have done it without all of you!

Owen 5/17/09 (Born with Hirschsprung's Disease)
And expecting our newest addition 5/7/12

May 19th, 2009, 02:13 AM
katiegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Melanie - first congratulations on the birth of your beautiful son. The 4 of you look very happy.
I will keep Owen and your entire family in my prayers.
Please update us when possible.

May 19th, 2009, 02:42 AM
.x~KAT~x.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to .x~KAT~x.
he is such a sweetie!!

im thinking of him and hope you get some answers soon, hes in good hands xx
May 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Melanie,
First of all, congratulations on getting your baby boy into your arms! How precious! (Welcome, little Owen!!). I will definitely keep Owen and your entire family in my prayers.

May 19th, 2009, 04:24 AM
*Pamela*
Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy, Happy birthday Owen.

Have said some prayers hunny and will keep him and your family in prayer. Hopefully he won't need surgery and it's something he can work out of his system.
May 19th, 2009, 06:02 AM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Congrats on Owen's arrival!! It sounds like he is in great hands and they are keeping a close eye on him. I will pray that everything turns out ok. (((hugs)))

May 19th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Prayers for Owen, and family. He is so cute.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

May 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
Congrats Melanie! Owen is beautiful. I will def keep Owen in my prayers. Please update us when you can.

May 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW!! Just like the other gals, a big congrats on your beautiful new boy! Welcome to the world Owen!!! And I'll definitely add Owen and the rest of your family to my prayers. I hope they get things figured out swiftly so they can treat the poor little guy and get him on the road to recovering.

May 19th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First off Congratulation on a beautiful baby boy, happy birthday and welcome to the world Owen!
I'll pray for Owen, I hope they figured thing out so that you can take him home and enjoy your baby. Update when you can, we want to know how he is doing.

May 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
He is so beautiful and your family is gorgeous Melanie! you look radiant by the way, way too good for just having a little one!

On a more serious note, I just said a little prayer for your precious Owen and will continue to keep you all in my prayers. Please keep us posted as you can. I am thinking of you all!
May 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He's beautiful, Mel!!!!

I'm sorry you're going through all of this right now!! I will be praying for Owen's health!

May 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
melanie...he is gorgous..and Im sure he is going to come out of this stronger than ever..many prayers for Owen, and your family..HUGS
May 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Eleysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mel, he is beautiful, congrats hunny. Ill keep him and your family in my prayers. Youre a strong mamma as it is, im sure he has some of that in him as well.

May 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
eribabe
Melanie congratulations, he is just a doll! Of course Owen and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
May 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Congrats Melanie - he's soooo adorable Owen and your family is in my prayers...I hope his health issue is quickly resolved so you can go home and enjoy your little man!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
May 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Congrats! I hope that he is ok i'll be saying a prayer

May 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
CONGRATULATIONS first of all. he is so ADORABLE!!!! and your birth sounds beautiful. BIG boy!
I am so sorry to hear of his issues I will be praying!! please KUP!
May 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You and our family are definitely in my prayers! Congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful little miracle. I hope everything turns out well. Please KUP when you can. Thinking of you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search