do you color your hair during PG?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OK, this post is really gonna show my age When we decided to TTC, I went and had my hair dyed to my natural color so that I wouldn't end up with really dark roots by the end of my PG. I have been coloring my hair blonde for over 25 years! I only knew what my natural hair color looked like from my three PGs with the boys because by the end of it I had really dark outgrowth. Well, I figured, to avoid this, I'd dye my hair the natural color and then just let lt go until I delivered. Yeah, I forgot about the "age thing". I don't have dark roots. I HAVE GRAY HAIR COMING IN Not all over, just wisps here and there.

Do you color or highlight your hair during PG?

May 30th, 2009, 10:09 AM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I was going to colour my hair and I even bought some dye the other week. But people keep telling methat my hair will take badly to it or turn green or even worse, harm the baby in some way. Now, I really want to dye my hair but I am just scared to

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
May 30th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have been (and will do again). I know it's semi-controversial, but it's the only semi-controversial thing I have done and really, I can only be so by the book! Most of what I read had a lot to do with the smells, and my salon is so big and open you can't smell it at all. They say highlights are safer than a full color because it doesn't get into your scalp as much. But yes, I have heard the hormones might make the color look different than it normally would. When I had it done 2 weeks ago, my stylist used a different color than I usually get because I wanted a little lighter than last time, and it turned out a little more red than I wanted. But I'm not sure if it was due to the new shade or the pregnancy!

I have to cover greys too, it's so annoying!

May 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I think the ammonia is the concern, so it should be okay if you get the ammonia-free stuff. And if you don't do a full color, but maybe just get the root touch up kit?

May 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gosh I cant believe I am so scared to do something that I usually dont think twice about. I think I might just put up with nasty hair for 16 more weeks.... Ive lasted 24 weeks, so Im sure I can manage another 16

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
May 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure what I'm going to do...maybe just some highlights to make the gray seem more blonde than old? I just don't want to worry after doing it, ya know? But, I look yucky.

May 30th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I have a friend who is a cosmetologist, who dyed my hair a couple of different times while I was pregnant with Erin. She told me that the dyes they used in the 70s and such WERE dangerous while pregnant especially if the room wasn't very well ventilated. But dyes now are much better for everyone, but the old advice not to dye during pregnancy still sticks around.

She has had pregnant coworkers who work with the dyes all day and haven't had any harm to their babies, so getting your own hair dyed every once and a while shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Brittanie; May 30th, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
May 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM
ang.ie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually posted about this on another board because my hair is very dyed lol.

My hair dresser assured me it's safe blah blah.... everyone has said in a well ventilated area great!

So I told her my concerns and she said fine we'll do you hair outside lol... so next week my roots will be gone yay! there honestly aren't even fumes inside but i'm paranoid! She's just gonna put it on outside and i'll sit out there then come in to wash out..... but honestly as long as it's well ventilated you should be fine!
!

May 31st, 2009, 08:33 AM
..Red..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH dyes my hair all the time. I tried adding blond highlights to mask the grey, but it didn't work. NOw I have roots aplenty and it looks worse! I'm going to go straight red this time. When the white comes in, I'll leave it. I just hope the new color blends better with my natural brown better than the blond stuff.

May 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Cherished1's Avatar On an extended babymoon
Hi klt. I think it is the ammonia which is the concern also... I coloured my hair on ovulation day because I knew I wouldn't want to do it again (at least in the 1st trimester)... The semi permanent colour that I used didn't really cover the grey very well though... but good enough... like you I just have a few here and there, if you are really worried about them maybe use a hair mascara or something?

This is a really cool link to a home made solution to get rid of grey hair using sage
Covering Grey Hair - Hair Dye Recipe
and this one... I would check if they are safe for pg 1st if you want ot give them a go.. I am going to grow hena soon and sage so I might give them a go after I give birth
Henna and Indigo Hair Dye

Our Amazing Water Birth Story
May 31st, 2009, 02:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! Now I need to figure out which route to take...

June 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not do it, but then on the other hand, I have never colored my hair. I heard that you shouldn't, but it's the same as you shouldn't drink coffee but a bit of it is ok, to be safe I would ask the doctor.

June 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Kelty- I have a horrible problem with grey. I read everything I could find on coloring your hair while pregnant and the predominant thing was it can be harder on your hair. To me I figured what the heck, if I have to cut it off better than looking like I'm 60!

I did try to opt for foils this last time instead of all over and highlights. That was a mistake, it took her almost 3 hours to put the stupid foils in, and you can still see all my nice grey roots.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search