Group B Strep? (x-posted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2009, 02:46 AM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was at L&D last week due to some pain and it turned out I have a UTI, but they also did some vaginal swabs to check for infections and such, and I just found out today that these swabs show that I have got Group B Strep. Does anyone have any experience with this? Ive never heard of it before, the midwife who told me I have it told me the baby will be ok providing I have IV antibiotics during labour. But I just googled and found I am at risk of pre-term labour, stillbirth and that if my baby actually gets this during delivery then she could get really ill and even die. I am so scared and upset now

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight

Last edited by princesskate; June 1st, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
June 1st, 2009, 05:48 AM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Group Beta Strep is VERY common, I had it with this pregnancy. Most women have it now and again but when you're pregnant it can be cause for concern. The only difference is that you'll need to have antiobiotics during labor. They gave me 2 bags before they let me push with Camryn. The incident rate is extremely low, so don't worry about it.

(((hugs)))

June 1st, 2009, 05:52 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you and your lo will be OK since they have found out ahead of time that you are positive for group B strep. I think the real trouble comes into play when you don't know and the baby is delivered without having the IV antibiotics.

My sister was positive for group B strep and she had 0 complications with her pregnancy and delivery, and both her lo's are beautiful and healthy.

If you are concerned, bring it up at your next OB appointment, and perhaps your Dr can talk some more about it with you.
June 1st, 2009, 05:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know women who have tested positive for Group B and have had successful, healthy deliveries. The risk is mostly associated with undiagnosed Group B strep, not women/pregnancies who are aware of it and have it treated. No need to worry. I can imagine how worried you were/are, but, no need I have to be really careful of looking at stuff online. Last year I banned myself from WebMD because everytime I looked something up, I had myself dead by week's end

I'm sorry about the UTI, total bummer. But, I'm glad they got you the answers you need in order to have a healthy little one. Hope you're feeling better!

June 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM
katiegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tested postive when I was pregnant with DS 10 years ago. All they did was give me some antibiotics via IV during labor. David was born perfectly normal with no complications due to the Group B.
I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Just keep in mind that you will receive the antibiotics in all future deliveries because you tested postive this one time.

June 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had group B strep with Scott. I got a bag of antibiotics when I was in labor and he was born perfectly healthy even after me being in labor for 15 hours and having my water broken most of that time. He had NO side effects from the Group B.

My SIL had it with both her boys. She did not know about it with her 1st b/c he was early...I think a 34-35 weeker. He did have some respitory issues and was in the NICU for a couple of weeks but that is also b/c he was early. He is a very healthy and happy 6 year old now!

June 1st, 2009, 07:53 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
I agree with all the other Kate. The risk is when the strep is undiagnosed. You and your lo will be fine.

June 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had Strep B with both boys, I had IV antibotics and both were fine. You can test positive with one pregnancy and negative with the other. It will be OK, just step away from goggle.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

June 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also tested positive, but they said t hat there is nothing to do until your due date. For what my doctor explain, it was not a big deal as long as we get the antibiotics.

June 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
the ladies have covered it all !
I just wanted to tell you....do not stress over it! It really IS common !!!!!!

June 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had it w/both boys...NOT a big deal at all!! I even had my water break w/Noah and went to the hospital late (had no contractions and didn't realize I was in labor) and got the IV late...he was still completely fine and no one was concerned...

No worries!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

June 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
*Pamela*
I have it too. Since I'm in the UK with you, I can at least tell you what my procedure for birth was to be.

I would labour in the combined care unit with anitbiotics, not allowed to labour in pool but would be free to walk around as I wanted. I was also told I would have to stay for 24 hours to monitor the baby. Not as homey as the birthing unit but I was ok with it all, just wanted my baby to be ok.

When the time came and I thought I was in labour I was to ring the hospital and let them know that I was gbs positive so that I could get the anitbiotics in time.

Of course, Gabriellla had other plans and I ended up with a c section so none it was put into motion.

Try not to worry, if you don't get there in time, they will monitor the baby.
June 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. I felt like a freak or something thinking it was really rare because I had never heard of it until the other day. I feel better now I have got reasurrance from the lovely ladies here at JM

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search