Induction Scheduled... looking for input

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ladies,

Since I didn't get to see my midwife at my normal appointment yesterday (as she was at the hospital delivering a baby), she called me today. We have scheduled the induction to begin at 5am on Thursday, June 18th. She gave me some highlights as to what I can expect..

I would arrive at 5:00 a.m., get admitted, get an IV and then get started on Pitosin. Then around 7:30 or 8:00 my midwife would show up to break my water. After that I would get the epidural (if desired). And from there... well, we would see.

She said once I get hooked up to the pitosin, I am strapped to the monitor and cannot go further from then bed than my monitor will allow. (yuck)

I have a final appointment scheduled with her the day before in the office and I wanted to potentially discuss the "order" of events, but wanted some advice from you as to what you might have done or what you heard might be valid options...

My question is if I can request for them to break my water before they start Pitosin. I guess I'm wondering if I have my water broken if it could induce labor on its own and not require pitosin at all. I do belive that I'm running the risk of "running out of time" where they may want to do a c-section though if I haven't delievered with 24 hours. I'm just wondering for those of you who were induced, what order you followed regarding breaking water, starting pitocin and getting an epidural (if you had one). Also, when you began your induction, how far along were you with regards to dialating and effacement? Do you think that should play into the order? A week ago I was 2cm and 80% and I'm assuming they would check me again before starting all of the induction process.

Of course, all of this COULD be a moot point, if she decides to come on her own.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

June 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
NeeshBoogie's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm basically a stranger since I haven't posted in a while, BUT I was induced and I'd like to help out any way I can.

My induction was scheduled to start at 8 a.m., but I wasn't admitted and hooked up until around 10, and I was starting from ZERO! No dialation, no effacement...

They started me on Cytotec as soon as I got checked and settled, and I progressed sloooooooowly for the first four to six hours. Around 4 p.m., my doctor came and told the nurses not to give me any more Cytotec because I was starting to progress on my own, and doing so a bit more quickly than with the meds. They didn't break my water for me until the next day...but when they did I was pushing within the hour.

I think the order DOES help, but you should definitely do what's comfortable, and safe, for you. I did get an epidural, but not until I was 8 centimeters and things were happening at light speed. My nurse told me my options were ordered the way they were because the medical staff expected I would need a c-section because I'm so small. My little bitty body and my son apparently had other plans!

HTH

Thank you Mod-MommaTrish for my gorgeous siggy!!!

June 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no input since, I was not induced. I just wanted to say that I'm sending you lots and lots of labor vibes your way.

June 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sacha,

I've been induced twice even though I really, really didn't want an induction. With Cori, I was 41 weeks and my water started leaking. And you know the story for this time. I probably wouldn't schedule an induction until I was at least 2 weeks overdue, provided the baby was doing well. I hate being all hooked up to the monitors and pushing around a IV pole. I don't fear a big baby, Cori was 41 weeks and was smaller than Juliana at 38 weeks.
But as far as HOW to induce, I wanted to say that this time went far better than with Cori (even with the gestation difference), so I think how you do it really does matter. This time I had 12 hours of Cervidil, then a few hours of walking to see if things would go on their own, then pitocin, then my water was broken when the pit was at about 8 or so. They never had to turn the pit up above 12 this time. With Cori I had no Cervidil (due to the leaking water) so the pit was up to 20 (maximum) before they broke my water. Nothing happened until my water was broken, but then WHAM it was relentless. My contractions were right on top of each other. One thing to consider as far as breaking your water and "starting the clock" is what stage the baby is at. If the baby is not very engaged then you might want to rethink because if the baby doesn't move down, or labor stalls because baby is "stuck" then you get a c-section. If baby is low, then that scenario is less likely. Good luck with your decisions. And make sure that you feel really informed through the process and feel involved with the decision making because it's YOUR birth experience.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
June 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any persona input, but for my sisters 2nd baby, she was 40wks, 80% and dialated to a 3 and they induced her labor by breaking her water at 9am. She didn't have contractions until 4:30 pm, she got an epi at 5:30 and delivered at 8:30pm - no pitosin was given to her. Talk to your dr - maybe no pitosin will be an option for you.
June 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had two inductions (one failed) and they used cervidil both times. I don't think I had pitocin either time. Is there a reason (that you know of) that your midwife isn't going to try something like this first?

June 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been induced twice and will never agree to it again unless my life or the babies is in danger. This last time with Matthew was a very rough labor and in my heart I know he wasn't ready to be born. I still feel bad about forcing him out when I think about it

About the actual process... I have always had them start Cervadil the night before (I refused cytotec this last time because from what I have read I did not want that in my body... ever). Then in the morning they have always started pitocin and broke my water once labor was started and I was in a good pattern for contractions. I had a natural childbirth with Amanda and with Matthew I had an epidural. The epi was put in after hours of labor when I was stuck at 4 cm. After that things went pretty fast. I am not sure how "ready" my body was but I remember being 2cm and 80% effaced with both of them. My first Jeremy was not induced and was 2 1/2 weeks late and I think I am just meant to bake them longer than 40 weeks

Good luck whatever you decide... it's a hard decision to make! ELV's coming your way

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

June 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with Joey at 38 weeks because I had pre-eclampsia. The night before I was admitted, they stripped my membranes, hoping that I would start labor that night on my own (didn't work, but it DID work with DS #2) In the morning they put the gel in and had me walk around for what seemed like hours, and they monitored my bp. When that didn't work, they started the Pit MOnster. Shortly after the pit was started, they broke my water. Labor was in full force, but I wasn't making a lot of progress. I think I was just fighting the labor pains. Once I got the epidural, I progressed very quickly.

I'm not sure I've helped...sorry. But, you never know. Your little one may have her own plans and show up before you have to go through with the induction! did you try alllll of the suggestions in the labor starting thread? LOL I hope things go well. Continue to keep us posted. I hope you're feeling well!

June 12th, 2009, 12:14 AM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont know anything about inductions hun, so I am sorry that I dont have any advice! But I hope it goes well

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
June 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ladies,
Thanks for all of the input. I'm just trying to be as informed and ready to make decisions as I can be. I knew my JM girlies would help me out. (It's not too late, if you haven't chimed in yet, please do so!)

Kelly -- I am a little concerned about how big she is. When I had my last u/s at 36w, she was estimated at 7lbs even. That was over 4 weeks ago. Both my husband and I were over 9lbs when we were born.

Laurie -- Since my midwife was at my last appointment, I only got to talk to her over the phone. She really didn't have the time to discuss a bunch of options with me and I decided that I just wanted to do some research of some options before presenting them to my midwife. I did ask her for one final appointment the day before the induction, so that is when I plan to discuss my options with her.

Kelty -- I've been trying several of the suggested items to get labor started. I've had lots of fresh pineapple and tonight we are going to Olive Garden for my niece's 18th birthday, so I'm planning on eating the eggplant parmigian. DH and I haven't done the deed yet, but I'm getting close to starting that one. I'll have to review the list again to make sure I'm trying everything.

Thanks again, ladies. I'll keep you updated.

June 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
No advice here, Sacha. Just wanted to wish you tons of ELVs and I hope she comes on here own before you have to be induced.

June 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
(((HUGS)))
I wasn't induced but the Dr I had gave Pitocin to all heavy women. With DS#1 my water broke then they start the pitocin, it was so much easier than with DS# where they started the Pit. and then broke my water. I would ask about breaking your water first or stripping your membranes a day before.

I hope she comes without induction.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

June 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's great that you are researching all the options. I had an u/s at 37wks with my son, and he they said he was 7lbs 8oz. This is why they induced me the day after my due date. He was born 24 hours after they started the induction and he was 8lbs 13oz. I am definitely having a repeat c-section with this one. I told you one of my inductions failed, my doctor said he thought my son's head was so broad that I wouldn't dilate. I've never figured out the connection!
Also, I debated whether to mention this or not, but I didn't like being surprised so I thought I would share. Do not scroll down if you don't want to know about a painful procedure they tried on me to induce labour.

The doctor tried stripping my membranes and it hurt. Not just a little bit, either. It might be because he had humongous hands, but I wasn't expecting it to hurt like that.

June 13th, 2009, 05:56 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Induction for suspected macrosomia (large baby) is considered a medically unnecessary induction. If sounds like you are also postdates, but just wanted to throw that info out there.

The risk of breaking your waters is pretty significant. It can mean a potential infection for you or your baby, which includes a NICU stay, as well as the increased risks of a cesarean. It is beneficial not to break a bag of waters till good active labor- that is when the contractions are strong so that you must focus on them, they are long, strong and 4 or less minutes apart. At this point you would also be 4+ cm dilated. After breaking the waters it is beneficial to have minimal vaginal exams.

pitocin, unlike breaking waters can be turned off or changed, and that is a valuable benefit. You can stop pitocin once you are in good active labor and 4-5cm dilated. I would discuss that with your midwife first though, to make sure she is on board with that plan.

It is also good to strip membranes before the induction starts,- b/c maybe that will help you have a spontanious labor pattern with no need for pit. And then you can see your midwife and discuss things before your induction.

Good luck, I hope things go the way you hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjonmom View Post
(((HUGS)))
I wasn't induced but the Dr I had gave Pitocin to all heavy women. With DS#1 my water broke then they start the pitocin, it was so much easier than with DS# where they started the Pit. and then broke my water. I would ask about breaking your water first or stripping your membranes a day before.

I hope she comes without induction.
I'm sorry your Dr discriminated against you for being a larger mama. I hate the fallacy that is so prevelent that plus sized mamas can't have effective enough contractions to have their babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laurie~ View Post
The doctor tried stripping my membranes and it hurt. Not just a little bit, either. It might be because he had humongous hands, but I wasn't expecting it to hurt like that.
wow- that stinks! If you truely aren't ready (which at 37 weeks was likely the case) it can hurt, and some care providers are just horrible at it.

June 13th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He stripped my membranes when they began the induction, not at 37 weeks (I was 40wks 1d), but he didn't tell me he was going to do it. I thought he was just checking to see if I was dilated at all. Boy, was I in for a surprise!
As for induction for large babies being unnecessary, I think it is often true but it is hard to know before hand. My friend had her son a few days before her due date and he was 10lbs. They dislocated and fractured his arm getting him out. They induced her with her daughter at 37 wks because of her history of large babies. Her daughter was 8lbs 9oz at 37 wks. It really becomes a choice between evils. Which is worse: an induction, a c-section, or harming the baby and/or mother during delivery?

June 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
With Cora I was induced the day after we confirmed she had passed. I was 2cm dilated and 70% effaced already. They started the pit and broke my water at the same time (since, obviously, there was no risk to the baby). I got an epi shortly after, since I decided I didn't really want to feel it.

With Erin I was induced at 38w because I couldn't bear the idea of being pregnant past the point I lost Cora. I wasn't dilated or effaced at all. I went in the night before and they inserted a foley catheter instead of cervidil or cytotec (it's a water balloon that slowly fills with water and dilates your cervix while its at it). It stops at 2cm and then falls out. I ended up at a 4 when they took it out and they were all surprised. They inserted it at 9pm and gave me an ambien so I could sleep while it did its thing, and then it came out at 4am and they started the pit. I slept on and off a bit more until 7am, when I was 7cm. Erin was still high and they were worried about cord prolapse, so they broke my water. I asked for my epi then, but because the overnight anesthesiologist was working on a 2 year old boy (my friend's son) I didn't get my epi until 8am. Erin was born at 8:48 am. ((by far my easiest labor))

With Patrick I was 2ish cm and 50% effaced when they started the pit (9:30 or 10am). She didn't break my water then, because she couldn't "reach" it (oh man that hurt). After several hours of very slow progress, they finally broke my water (5pm?). A couple hours later I was in SO much pain, and they checked me and I was only 6cm. I had been laboring without medication for nearly 9 hours at that point (and had only dilated 4 cm) and had a little breakdown and decided it would be in my best interest to get an epi even though I had wanted to have an unmedicated labor. I just couldn't handle the idea of several hours more of that much pain. The Epi was WONDERFUL and Patrick was born 4 hours later. We had a little scare because Patrick started not tolerating the contractions well and I thought I was going to have to have a csection. But when they checked me to see my progress, I was fully dilated and effaced and ready to push, so we decide to just go for it and deliver him vaginally.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search