Think it over Thursday

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Pain meds/epidural or no meds during labor and delivery?

June 18th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to be the brave one, no meds no nothing. It didn't work out since I ended up having a c-section.

June 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I tried with Patrick. I really did. But by the time I had been in labor for 9 hours, was only dilated to a 6, and was praying that I wouldn't die every time I had a contraction, I decided it was time for an epi.

But...I'm going to try again next time. I mean, they charge by the hour for an epi, so the longer I can make it is less I have to pay, right?

June 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM
madmum_sarah's Avatar formally sarah_the_sane_1
with my others i had nothing but with this one if i dont have a section im going for epi for sure!

Friends are the family you choose yourself and I love my JM sisters!
June 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am all for natural childbirth (have done it in the past and LOVED it) and still am mad at having an epi with Matthew. I just couldn't do it this time. I must say the epi was amazing, just not something I ever wanted to find out. Even though it was amazing, natural childbirth was more amazing for me

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

June 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No pain meds for me. I love the whole experience even though its hard. I would love to have a truly "natural" birth (w/o pitocin) but I don't think that will ever happen now that I had Chloestatis and have high chances of having it again and needing to be induced early.

I did have plenty of drugs this pregnancy though....morphine (LOTS) and a spinal for kidney stones.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
June 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
I am going to see how bad the pain gets. With my last labor I couldn't even breathe through the contractions...I don't know how I would have made it through the labor without a panic attack. It's nice to know the Epi is there though, plus with my last labor I didn't have any problems pushing him out, even with no feeling.
June 18th, 2009, 11:13 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I bravely say i'd like to do it no meds (hey my mom did for all three, and i was induced) but figure i'll see how bad the pain is, and how well i'm tolerating it and decide in the moment...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no qualms about saying bring the pain medicine ON!!! I made it to 6, and thought I was going to die. They had me on Pitocin too, so maybe it was more like the pain of being at 7 or 8. I don't appreciate it when women get all crazy and force their views down your throat. Don't feel bad about getting an epi. ladies, it does NOT make you a bad person....gheesh!

ETA: to say that I give it up to all you ladies who go natural! I could never do it, but I respect the women who can.

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007

Last edited by victorialv; June 18th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
June 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
No epi for me. I didn't have one with Tanith either. Of course, I didn't have the option. I had Tanith at a birth center and will be having this one at home.

June 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Give me the epi...I was on pitocin with Joey and the pain was unbearable. I was such a much nicer person with the epi. Ask my DH With Thomas I arrived at the hospital and had the epi right away. I also had one with Robbie. I tolerate the labor so much better with the meds.

June 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No epi for me either.... I did have a couple doces of Statal though, and it only made me really sleepy. I will admit, I was begging for an epi right before I delivered, I had no idea I was about ready to push though - I thought my labor would take a lot longer than it did. In the end, I am really glad I was able to do it without and epi.
June 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No epi for me, although I happily support that it is right for some moms. I just feel very passionate about them having the option to have truely informed concent rather then not knowing the risks at all.

June 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
No epi for me, although I happily support that it is right for some moms. I just feel very passionate about them having the option to have truely informed concent rather then not knowing the risks at all.
lol, sorry this just reminded me. I'm the type that does research, so I know the risks. Anyway, when I was delivering Erin, the guy was running through the legal consent stuff, talking about side effects and what not. He got to "including death," and I very seriously said to him "I'm going to die unless I get it anyway."

Looking back on it I find it rather amusing.

June 19th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not this time. I was pretty much forced into an Epi with Jon the nurses,Dr and Dh pushing me to get one because after 11 hours of contractions off the chart I was only at 6cm, I personally thought I was doing great. It took 6 more hours before I made it to ten and I slept two of those hours. I will fight it even if I have to throw something at the nurses and DH.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

June 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
I had an epi both time 'cause I had c-sections.

June 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
lol, sorry this just reminded me. I'm the type that does research, so I know the risks. Anyway, when I was delivering Erin, the guy was running through the legal consent stuff, talking about side effects and what not. He got to "including death," and I very seriously said to him "I'm going to die unless I get it anyway."

Looking back on it I find it rather amusing.
Cute!

The doc said I had a irritable uterus or something??? but it makes you feel the pain ten times more. I was in so much pain I couldn't breath properly but no contractions where reading off on the machine. I said "If these aren't contractions then I give up. I can't do this" Everyone thought that was funny but me. I had an epi at 3cm - not the way I planned it at all but it will probably happen again. I am sad that I can't go natural and tip my hats to all your ladies that can but I just can't do it
June 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i labored for 12+ hours without pain meds, but ended up getting an epi when they started pitocin since my labor had stalled & iwas getting tired and having trouble even relaxing between contractions. they has been every two minutes for about 10 of the 12 hours. i just didn't have time between them to regain my composure. maybe 30 seconds of not contraction every two minutes.
but i ended up with a section anyways. my hospital doesn't do VBACs, so if/when i have another child i will have to have a c-section again.
June 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
Speaking of intense contractions, did anyone ever have to get a shot to stop labor because it the baby's HR was going way down?
June 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Angela~ View Post
Speaking of intense contractions, did anyone ever have to get a shot to stop labor because it the baby's HR was going way down?
I didn't get a shot to stop it, but with Patrick they turned off my pitosin because his heart rate was dropping. They said that it was because he was posterior (which was why my labor was much slower than with the girls) and the pressure on his head was a little too much. If I hadn't been completely effaced and almost fully dilated at that point I think it would have ended up being a csection.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search