Bad news (xposted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Connor has officially been diagnosed with 'moderate autism'. I am in a pretty bad place right now, so I likely won't be around much. I am just very angry and very depressed, and my husband doesn't understand my attitude. I feel like I've lost three children in less than a year, and I don't know how to just pick myself up and move forward. When (if) I find a more positive frame of mind, I will be back. I will be thinking of you all and wishing you well.

June 20th, 2009, 08:04 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
Laurie, I'm sorry! I hope you can find a way to help Connor and feel better about it. We're all here for you.

June 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Laurie,
I'm so sorry to hear your news. I'm sure you're going through so many emotions right now. And, I'm sure DH will come to an understanding of your feelings as things continue to "sink in". There is so much that they can do in terms of intervention with autism. I completely understand if you aren't around much. You've had so much go on in your life recently. But, please know that whenever you want to vent, update, emote, or just check in, we're all here for you. A friend of mine has a little girl that has recently been diagnosed with autism. At least with the diagnosis they can start some intervention. It has been over 5 years of tests!
You are in my thoughts and prayers. And, I hope things feel better soon. I don't have the "right" thing to say, but, know that I'm thinking of you...

June 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
i'm sorry Laurie...i hope you're able to get some therapy for Connor, i've read they've had some really amazing results with early intervention with autism. i'll be thinking of you and your family - take care of yourself and definitely check in when you feel up to it. HUGS

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
June 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
((((HUGS))))
I grieved also when Nick was diagnosed. I wonder what I did to cause it, the truth nothing. It will take a while but you and he will get into a routine. I just wanted to send you love, I know exactly where you are coming from. As for your DH men take it differently than we do my DH was relived that we finally knew why Nick was like he was and I was grieving for the life I thought my child would never have.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

June 20th, 2009, 10:06 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Laurie, I am so sorry. I hope you are able to start some good therapy with Conner. I have heard amazing stories of children with Autism having very good lives due to therapy starting as soon as possible. It's completly understandable that you are in a bad place right now.You have been through so much in such a short amount of time. Hugs for you and your family.
June 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im sorry that you have received the dreaded A word diagnosis but if it is any help, I found having my daughter diagnosed opened up a world of opportunity. I stopped thinking of her as merely "difficult" and started thinking more along the lines of how can we communicate better, how can we help her learn more, how can we help her cope? Having a diagnosis has enabled us to find help she would have otherwise had no access too and since her diagnosis at age 3 she has blossomed beautifully.

It's hard finding out that our children are anything short of "normal", it brings worry for the future and possibly even the death of dreams you once held for your child. Instead of mourning it like a death, try to think of it as an evolution. Yes, things are going to be different but different can still be awesome

June 20th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Doodle, you are correct it does open a world open. Without that diagnoses many children wouldn't recieve the therapies that are needed.

Laurie, I do have one piece of advice see what you have to do to get a medicaid wavier so he can recieve medicaid. Many children with Autism recieve medicaid even if their parents make over the income limits because insurance don't pay for Autism.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

June 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I just want to add my here too.

June 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjonmom View Post
Doodle, you are correct it does open a world open. Without that diagnoses many children wouldn't recieve the therapies that are needed.

Laurie, I do have one piece of advice see what you have to do to get a medicaid wavier so he can recieve medicaid. Many children with Autism recieve medicaid even if their parents make over the income limits because insurance don't pay for Autism.

YES!!!! yes, yes yes. Definately do this.

I have a darling cousin with autism, his is extremely severe- and the progress he has made is remarkable. There are so many treatments and therapies. Mothering.com has a forum with lots of great info and articles on things you can do, and there is so much on the web. Have hope and faith. But also let yourself grieve.... losing that "normal" child is a hardship, but in many ways it is also a blessing.

June 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry, Laurie. You have dealt with so much in the past year...life really is so unfair sometimes. I do agree with the other ladies though, I've heard good things about available therapies, dietary changes, etc. I think that an early diagnosis is so important. Please check in with us when you can and KUP on your pregnancy for sure. We will miss and worry about you when you're gone. Also, know that a positive frame of mind is not a requirement for this board, we will support you no matter what.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
June 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Gayle's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Gayle Send a message via Yahoo to Gayle
I'm so sorry. I just wanted to add my great big hugs for you all.

June 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM
madmum_sarah's Avatar formally sarah_the_sane_1
im so sorry hun
xx

Friends are the family you choose yourself and I love my JM sisters!
June 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to send and say that I agree with the ladies. I'll be thinking about you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search