Two miscarriages

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2006, 08:26 PM
Veteran
Hello, everyone i new to this forum and i would like to introduce myself. Well i was pregnant last year got pregnant in sept/05 had m/c 11/05 at about 13 weeks. Then i got pregnant right away again without a full cycle of one period. then had a m/c again in dec/05 at about six weeks . Now my husband and I are going to wait a month or more to try to concieve again. I have a question since most of you been in a same situation as I did the doctors try to test you after two miscarriages or did they say its common and to try again. I mean what im trying to say is my doctor told me its common my uterus looks okay and that there was no apperant reason y i miscarried. I'm really scared to try to concieve again i dont want to loose another one, i really want to have a baby. I really looking forward to talking to all of you and get to know you guys. bye for now

P.S this is such a good board i'm glad i found it, also everyone is so nice and caring here.

March 2nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
Super Mommy
usually they do not get concerned until after 3 unless there are other issues. My first loss was later and there is a possibility of Spina Bifida in my family (On my "suspected" Birth fathers side.) So for these reasons I am going to a perinatologist and my ob about every 2 weeks.

There is a slightly higher m/c risk in a pregnancy right after a loss before your first cycle. It is recomended that you wait at least one cycle so that your body tells you it is ready.

Was this the same Dr. for both? If so, then they should know your body and your history. hopefully they will be willing to work with you when you are pregnant again. I know I tend to be more worried about everything and at times need some more reassurance. (Let's see..u/s's at 4 wk, 5 wk, 7 wk, 11 wk, 15 wk and next one on monday with another on the 20th!) All were scheduled, no ER visits! This alone has helped me feel better. I cannot say that your Dr. will be this accomidating, since I have other issues, but most will let you come in and do a quick HB check, just to make you feel better.

Let the Dr know that you want to at least have one at 7 weeks, to see the hb. For me this one was a biggie.

Take care, and hopefully soon we will see your name on our DD chart!
March 2nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
Super Mommy
i agree... though they are concerned at two... they really dont' look seriously into it unless you've had three.. .BUT you have every right to get tested every couple days one you get a positive... make sur eyour HCG is rising... then at 6 or 7 weeks get u/s look for all the right signs...

goodluck to you.
DD - 19 months
March 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
hopin4a4rth
They didn't do any tests on me even though I had 2 m/c's. we waited 2 full cycles after the second m/c to TTC again and I"m now 20 weeks.

You can certainly ask for tests, but chances are good they'll say no.
March 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
Veteran
Thanks for your reply everyone. Hopefully my third pregnancy will be okay. My dh and i will try to concieve pretty soon so hopefully. Maybe i should think about changing doctors. Oh and yes for both of my preg i had the same doctor the did tell me to wait after my first m/c. But it was by mistake did really think think i would get preg right away.

March 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was tested thoroughly after my 2nd mc & they did find a reason. I think that if you question it, go with your gut. My Ob didn't want to continue with testing after she didn't "initially" find any problems, but my persistance paid off. I also decided to switch to an RE. It turns out in my case the only thing that can treat it is IVF, and we can't afford it, but at least I can go through this pg understanding my risks - I hope that makes sense. If you are comfortable, then by all means, go & try. If you have questions, be persistant with the Dr's. Lots of people acted ike I was paranoid, or overly worried - and look - I got a REAL answer - they don't say anything about it now (unless it's that I was right).

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

March 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM
ocmorrishome's Avatar Regular
Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your losses. I have had 3 m/c's and my dr. asked if I wanted furture test and I said no because my husband and I talked about it an decided that we had 3 healthy kids so we where not going to try for anymore. My husband was going to go get clipped. Well surprise I had a d & c on Jan. 04, '06 and I am now 8 weeks pg. Well when I went in for blood work my Dr. checked my progesterone level as well as my HCG level. An when he did this he found that my HCG level was great. They have always been in my last pg's. But my progesterone was low. An he never checked it before. It won't hurt for your Dr. to check your progesterone levels. I have to go in for a injection once a week until my 12-14 week. An just last week we saw a heart beat.

Good luck

Olivia
March 19th, 2006, 07:00 AM
anissa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to anissa Send a message via MSN to anissa
My Doctor told me up front that they would do no testing until I had 3 in a row. It sucks that it has to be that way.
Gavin Thomas 06/01/06
Emma Grace Born Sleeping 8/4/05 22 Weeks
Some people only dream of holding an Angel I actually held one!
Angel Baby 8/14/02
Angel Baby 12/28/04

March 20th, 2006, 04:02 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello, I can't really add anything that hasn't been said. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I hope the third try will end up with you havnig a healthy baby.
March 21st, 2006, 07:50 AM
Regular
I too have had 2 miscarriages right in a row and my OB suggested I go see RE just to have some testing done to see if there is something that he can see that my OB wasn't seeing very well. I knew if I didn't get the extra testing, then I would be left with a lot of questions and also a lot of stress when we decided to go for the 3rd try. It has paid off so far because we found out yesterday that I tested positive for MTHFR which is a mutation in my body where I don't absorb folic acid. As soon as I am pregnant again, my doctor is going to put me on Folgard 2 times a day, which is a mega dose of folate and then a baby aspirin a day. I have been reading up on this and it has helped numerous women to go full term after miscarriages. I am hopeful and very glad we went to the RE because who knows if I would have miscarried again with this MTHFR that I have. Hope this helped! I am very sorry about your losses, I understand completley what you are going through! It's no fun.

I too have had 2 miscarriages right in a row and my OB suggested I go see RE just to have some testing done to see if there is something that he can see that my OB wasn't seeing very well. I knew if I didn't get the extra testing, then I would be left with a lot of questions and also a lot of stress when we decided to go for the 3rd try. It has paid off so far because we found out yesterday that I tested positive for MTHFR which is a mutation in my body where I don't absorb folic acid. As soon as I am pregnant again, my doctor is going to put me on Folgard 2 times a day, which is a mega dose of folate and then a baby aspirin a day. I have been reading up on this and it has helped numerous women to go full term after miscarriages. I am hopeful and very glad we went to the RE because who knows if I would have miscarried again with this MTHFR that I have. Hope this helped! I am very sorry about your losses, I understand completley what you are going through! It's no fun.
March 22nd, 2006, 09:39 AM
DZErika's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hello, everyone i new to this forum and i would like to introduce myself. Well i was pregnant last year got pregnant in sept/05 had m/c 11/05 at about 13 weeks. Then i got pregnant right away again without a full cycle of one period. then had a m/c again in dec/05 at about six weeks . Now my husband and I are going to wait a month or more to try to concieve again. I have a question since most of you been in a same situation as I did the doctors try to test you after two miscarriages or did they say its common and to try again. I mean what im trying to say is my doctor told me its common my uterus looks okay and that there was no apperant reason y i miscarried. I'm really scared to try to concieve again i dont want to loose another one, i really want to have a baby. I really looking forward to talking to all of you and get to know you guys. bye for now

P.S this is such a good board i'm glad i found it, also everyone is so nice and caring here.[/b]
HI. I also had 2 miscarriages, both in 2005. The most recent was 12/05. After that m/c I asked to be tested b/c I wanted answers. Many drs won't test til 3 or more or if you're older. I am young, 21, and only had two, but I didn't want to go through the pain of another m/c if prevention was possible. After testing I had a genetic mutation of the MTHFR and it is easily corrected with 1 baby aspirin a day and extra folic acid. I am SO glad I did the testing b/c I just found out I am pregnant again, and I am doing what the doctors have advised me. If I had gone with the drs "gut instinct" I wouldn't have tested and could be facing losing this baby for no reason again. I would demand testing if I were you. It's your body and your babies!!!!
I am still NERVOUS about this pregnancy, but feel more confident being on the right supplements.

March 22nd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Veteran
Most doctors will wait until 3 in a row, but since i'm 40 my doctor said he would do testing if I had a second mc after my one this fall. Luckily this baby seems to be doing just fine!

You should be able to insist on testing if you feel instinctively that something is wrong. Your insurance might have certain rules before they pay for the testing though.

MM
March 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
jenn010679's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jenn010679
after i had my second m/c. i had been advised to wait 3 cycles. partly due to having a d & c with the second miscarriage. Right after having the second m/c i was put on 1mg of folic acid daily. When i became pregnant again my doctor put me on progesterone supplements for one month and to abstain from intercourse until finished with the progesterone. my doctor also had put me on daily low dose asprin.

Today i am 14 weeks pregnant and all is well. I still take the folic acid along with my prenatal vitamin. and am on the asprin for another month or so. I have also had more bloodwork and u/s's done this time around too.
i dont know if my story helps but i thought that i would add it.

jenn

March 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Veteran
Thanks for all of your reply. I had a few questions thou How does baby asprin help. i ask my doctor for it she told me you can get over the counter too. She said i dont need it with out any testing done. but she said theres no harm in taking it. And also how is the process for testing for mthfr if you have it, is done thru blood work? I had a recent about two weeeks ago and i ask the doctor for some test to be done. She only told about two things she can check for blood clot in my blood and my uterus. I did the blood test for blood clot and it came bac normal. What my question is when they take a blood test do they use it for differnt type of test or only spceificly for one thing? Thanks for your help

March 23rd, 2006, 10:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had six miscarriages in a row and after the fourth one my Dr. started doing tests. I too had the MTHFR test and have been taking Foltx since because I have 2 copies of the same gene mutation. After starting the folic acid I had another miscarriage. During the D&C following that miscarriage the Dr. also discovered that I had a septum in my uterus and a very large fibroid, he removed both. I decided to give up trying at that time because I didn't think I could do it anymore, but the next month I was pregnant again. Now I am 25 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby boy and I'm so glad I didn't give up.

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search