Carleigh's Birth Story

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Jessica!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jessica! Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica!
Just a note - I'm typing this up as Carleigh sleeps in my lap. Pardon any misspellings and bad grammar... whatever. I'm doing this quickly to make sure everyone can share the happiness and joys of our arrival too.

I was scheduled to be induced either Friday or Saturday. Heath & I were just waiting for the call from the hospital or my doctor as to when to head in. We never heard anything from either one on Saturday. I was starting to feel menstrual type cramps again. My personal pain level, on a scale from 1-10, would have been a seven. I told Heath that I wanted to head to the hospital by 2pm, even if I don't hear anything. I didn't know if I had dilated more or not. To be safe, we headed in to get checked out. The nurses put me in triage, but then when they realized I was to be induced this weekend anyway, they just got me our own private room. The rooms were really nice and spacious too.

The nurse that I started out with asked me if I wanted an epidural. I kept declining because at 6cm, I was having no pains. Why get a pain killer when it's not needed? I also wanted to try a natural child birth. For the longest time I kept saying I was going to get an epidural, but for some reason, I kept turning it down at the hospital. The nurse broke my water around 4:30pm. That's when the contractions started to last longer and they became stronger. By time I was 8cm dilated, I stopped playing tough girl and got the epidural. The epidural was given to me around 6:10pm.

At 8:30pm, I was taught how to push and began doing it. One of the nurses called my doctor up to let her know we were having the baby. Or at least going to star trying. I'm not sure how many contractions I actually had to push through, my Carleigh was here about an hour and a half later. I was still so numb from the epidural, I wasn't sure that I was doing the pushing the correct way. The only way I knew that it was being done correctly was the nurses reassuring me. My doctor let me feel Carleigh's head starting to come out. It was so weird. About two or three contractions after that, Carleigh was born. NO PAIN! That epidural was amazing. It sucked that my legs were so numb, but it was worth it. Whoever does natural child birth, by own reason, GOOD FOR YOU!! I give you so much credit. Not sure I could have made it through child birth with no epidural. I'm glad I changed my mind before it was too late.

Carleigh was born June 27, 2009 at 10:06pm. She weighed exactly 7 pounds and was 19 inches long. She looks a lot like Heath, but she has my long fingers. I've been breastfeeding her whenever possible. Since I am new to the whole breastfeeding thing, it is a bit harder. Carleigh has been on the bottle and breast. Whenever either one of us is not succedding at breastfeeding, we go to formula. I feel bad for doing that because I wanted to strickly breastfeed, but it can be very stressful for both mom and baby. Carleigh will latch on, but during some feedings, she just gives up and lets go. Other times, she will just keep going at it until she wears herself out. We just want to make sure she is getting fed. I'm glad Carleigh likes both. Every time Carleigh is hungry, she will go straight for my breast first. So, that is what she prefers.

Carleigh is a very strong baby. At two days old, she was trying to push herself to stand up when Heath would burp her. Since she has clubbed feet, it's hard for her to do that. Thankfully, we will be looking into options for her feet come next week. Can't wait. Ever since we found out about her clubbed feet, I felt so bad for her and was anxious to get it taken care of as soon as possible.

This girl will sleep ALL DAY too. As long as she's in my lap, she will sleep for hours. I figured since she's been napping for this long with me, that I would just type this up now. At night, for bed time, I try to get her to sleep on her own. That doesn't work right now. She will throw the biggest fits ever until I'm holding her. Last night, Heath & I finally got her to fall asleep in the bouncer his grandparent's bought us. That was around 4am. So yes, we are both running on little sleep. I don't feel it so much in during the day, but it kicks in at night when I really really want to sleep for a couple of hours.

If I need to, I will sleep almost all day like Carleigh does. Then if she's up in the middle of the night, I will too. It's not like I'm working right now, so messing up my schedule for her will not hurt anything. I'm trying to find infant activities to do during the daytime hours. Hoping that will make her really sleepy for the evening hours. I'm starting to think she has her days and nights confused. Which I know is normal for most babies. She's just too cute when she's sleeping on me. I feel bad waking her up for anything, although I know disturbing a nap may benefit Heath & I in the long run when evening falls upon us.

This is really long. Sorry if I left anything out. Just wanted to update everyone.

Here are a couple of pictures...

June 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh, she is beautiful! You must be soooo thrilled. It sounds like everything is going well and you are all adjusting. She may have her days and nights mixed, but, you'll be able to switch them. Don't worry. I'm glad feeding is going well with both bf and ff. And, as long as it's working for you, that's awesome!

Labor and delivery sounded like you were great! It's a good thing you headed in when you did...things went pretty fast. And, I love epidurals! Like you, I give credit to any woman who goes through natural childbirth, but, for me, I prefer the epi.

I have to say it again. she's beautiful! Whenever you get the time to update all of us, PLEASE do! This is so exciting. I'm glad you shared the details (and of course the pics ) Yay!!!!!

July 1st, 2009, 08:52 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG, She is Adorable!! She looks like such a little diva already in that second pic!!

Thanks for sharing your birth story Mamma..You did a great job!

Take it one day at a time with the bf, you will both get the hang of it soon. Also, Cecil had his nights and days mixed-up, but he came out of it on his own after a couple of weeks. Hang in there and take lots of naps during the day.
July 1st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! She's beautiful, and it sounds like you had a fantastic birth experience.

July 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's beautiful! I'm glad the birth went ok. I'm sorry she has her night and days mixed up, Alex did too, the doctor told us to undress him during the day for feedings, and to cover him up at night, after a while of doing this, he was ok. About infant activities, we used to put him on his belly for a couple of minutes every couple of hours that gets them very tired.
I agree with Sam about bf it will take a while to the hang of it, it;s hard for the both of you because you are both new at it. I know for me it took a while for the both of us to be experts at it . Either way you are doing great, she's gorgeous, congrats!

July 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations, mama~ she is gorgeouS!!!

i've had two natural births, not by choice, but because the anaesthesiologist could never make it to my room on time; same with the painkillers, grrr. but hey, at least i know i can do it alone, for my home birth, next year.

I'm glad Carleigh is here safely, and you had a mostly painfree experience!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
She is beautiful! Congratulations mom! It sounds like your coming along with BF, don't stress to much, it makes it much harder.

Your birth experience sounded great!
July 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jessica, she is absolutely beautiful!! She will get the hang of nights and days before you know it. Sounds like you are loving things the way they are now though, so ENJOY! This is your time with your baby girl to just enjoy each other, and let everything else just go. Your schedule, your laundry, your house, etc, can all WAIT. CONGRATS MOM!!!!

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
July 1st, 2009, 01:17 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
awww Jessica she's so adorable!!! thanks for sharing the pics and i'm glad you had a good birth experience as well. I have no experience BFing, but definitely don't get discouraged...it sounds like a learning process for both of you and i'm sure soon you'll be experts at it!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
July 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How sweet.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

July 6th, 2009, 09:42 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for posting this. It helps me to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I am glad she is doing so well.
July 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM
..Red..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congratulations! She is beautiful!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search