Think about it Thursday...

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When it comes to allergies, people say different things. Are you avoiding/ did you avoid certain foods and allergens during your PG (i.e, peanuts, nuts, etc..)? What are your thoughts about the increase in food allergies these days?

When I was a kid I don't remember anyone having peanut, tree nut, wheat or milk allergies. I don't even think I knew anyone that was allergic to bee stings. There HAS to be a reason that so many kids have allergies these days!

July 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I honestly did not avoid anything, even when they told me that Alex could have a milk and soy allergy and that I needed to avoid milk of soy products, I did not do it. My thoughts on the subject, well to be honest, I don't have any because it didn't even cross my mind.

July 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm mainly avoiding peanuts b/c of the big scare a few months back. I am enjoying other tree nuts though, I love nut butters.

I feel while nursing it is more important to avoid certain foods then while pregnant, as there is no placenta to filter things.

July 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't avoid foods while pregnant or nursing, but I have followed the recommendations as far as introducing them to Cori. She still hasn't really had peanuts or shellfish (although I'm sure that she has had some versions of these things as grandparents don't really think about this stuff). I'm not really sure how I feel about this as I've been reading studies lately that seem to suggest small doses may be more effective than avoiding foods all together. Luckily for me, we don't have any family history of any food allergies.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
July 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be avoiding if baby shows signs of any allergies while breastfeeding but most newer studies are showing that consuming the allergens during pregnancy does not increase risk.

My 6 year old has a peanut allergy and it is rough. We will be very careful about introducing the major allergens after the baby is born.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

July 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I'm not avoiding anything, but we don't have a family history of food allergies, and Tanith doesn't have any so far either.

July 16th, 2009, 07:21 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I was going to avoid nuts during pregnancy but now some studies think total avoidance may cause more problems than small doses and the scientific community is still very uncertain what is causing the increase in rate of food allergies anyway (but you are right that there has been a huge increase since 60s/70s)...honestly i'm a big believer in moderation, so i'm not going to have too much of or eliminate anything completely, other than the short list of banned food/drinks during pregnancy.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search