Cradle, bassinet, crib, or other?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Where are you planning on having your little one sleep upon arrival?

Grads, what did you use when you brought baby home?

July 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
katiegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on only using the crib. We have a pack n' play but will only use it when we are not at home. At this point I couldn't justify purchasing a cradle or bassinet when there are more essential items I need to spend money on.
If I had the extra money I would have loved to purchase a cradle.

July 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a crib in his room and a pack n play, which is where he sleeps right now. We use to co-sleep but now I'm trying to get him use to sleep in his pack n play and eventually sometime in the next few month we will be able to put him in his crib in his room, well see....I don't think I can be separate from him

July 20th, 2009, 10:32 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
i was going to do a bassinet but haven't found any i like....so now i'm thinking a cradle. Here's the one we're thinking of: Antique White Cradle Green Frog Art - Tots N Style

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
July 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lara - I love the cradle! It's beautiful! Would it be in your room and then will you move it? Or, will you use it until lo moves into her own room/crib? My kids always grew out of their cradles REALLY fast (boys boys boys)

Patty - No kidding...I hated separating from my little ones when they went into their own beds!

Katie - I would not be buying a cradle for this little one, but, we have one that my FIL made by hand for our eldest. I'll be using that. I am looking into getting a new pack n play, though. Mine is older and just looks like it's been through 3 kids. The new ones have changing tables, toys, different height settings, etc... AMAZING!

July 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Kelty, I have a pack n play and I think I have use that changing table about 5 times, I hate it, it's just not comfortable to change him on it, I use the bed, put a towel and change him on that.
Lara-beautiful cradled.

July 20th, 2009, 11:13 AM
we're definitely going to keep baby in our room, first in the cradle and then probably move the crib in with us until she's older (i think i read somewhere they recommend baby sleeping in parents room until 6 months?)....what's kind of selling me on the cradle is that we could easily (i think - haven't seen how heavy it is yet ) move it out into the living room to keep an eye on her while doing something else whereas the bassinets we looked at were a lot larger than i imagined (some had to be assembled in room b/c they can't fit through doorways).

And because i'm clueless...can someone tell me what a pack and play is?? I haven't seen any of those in our bassinet/cradle/crib search but maybe i just wasn't looking in the right place....and what made you pick that versus other things (co-sleepers, bassinets, etc)?

Savannah Stylin!

July 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Kelty, I have a pack n play and I think I have use that changing table about 5 times, I hate it, it's just not comfortable to change him on it, I use the bed, put a towel and change him on that.
Lara-beautiful cradled.

July 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Lara, a pack 'n' play is just a fancy name for a playpen. Now they come with all sort of attachments and stuff, too, like a bassinet mattress and changing tables. And of course, they come in tons of fabrics and stuff to coordinate with pretty much anything. Here you go: Amazon.com: Graco Pack 'n Play Playard with Bassinet & Changer in Brentwood: Baby

July 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My baby will sleep in a moses basket by my bed at first. But I have no idea what you call them, so I will post a pic incase they are called something different in the US lol.

Here is the one I plan on getting. I hope to get it tomorrow when I go shopping

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
July 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM
My son slept in his crib when he first came home. The crib was in my room b/c the room was big enough for it. When we moved into this house I put his crib in his own room, but he was older than and his room is only 3 steps from mine. It was so convenient to have him right there in our room that with the next baby we will have them sleep in our room too. We have a mini crib (I don't know how else to describe it) that someone had given us for an extra bed for our first that we will put in our room until the baby gets too big for it.
July 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
thanks karissa - that's helpful...i had seen these but thought they were primarily playpens...didn't realize they could also be a bassinet.

Kate - we do have moses baskets in the U.S. but i haven't seen any even half as nice as the one you're getting! the ones i've seen are about half that height/depth...i had a friend that used one but her son outgrew it pretty quickly...although he was over 10lbs at birth!

Savannah Stylin!

July 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Lara, the bassinet on the pack n play is where Alex sleeps.

July 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
szczepanski's Avatar nakmaster
I plan on using the newer pack and plays with the bassinet and then 2 levels. We will upgrade the mattress in it so its softer. We plan to cosleep after 6 months as well as breast feed so it seems like it will be easier to have baby nice and cozy right next to my side of the bed. And it would take up less room than a crib.

I did look at mini-cribs but it seems silly to me.

I like how the pack and play bassinet has music & vibration as well. And I don't plan on using that changer because I've heard nothing but bad things about it!

July 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I did not care for the changer, it was just awkward to change him on that. I did find that co-sleeping while bf is wonderful, you don't have to even get out of bed. I'm still bf him but I want him to get use to falling asleep by himself and stay as sleep alone. Either way, he still sleeps with us at least 1 night a week and when he wakes up at night, i just love turning around and bumped into his feet

July 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Oops, forgot to answer in my post!

I was planning on getting a bassinet, but there are a couple of really pretty inexpensive cradles on Craiglist. So now I'm torn. We have a crib, but it's convertible and Tanith is currently using it as a toddler bed. So I figured I'd get a used bassinet, then just get her a twin for her birthday and convert the crib back for the baby when it's about 6 mo.

July 21st, 2009, 12:28 AM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post

Kate - we do have moses baskets in the U.S. but i haven't seen any even half as nice as the one you're getting! the ones i've seen are about half that height/depth...i had a friend that used one but her son outgrew it pretty quickly...although he was over 10lbs at birth!
Wow, really? The one im getting will last until the baby is around maybe 4 months old, depending on how big she is!

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
July 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a bassinet given to me (well to borrow) by another friend from a message board Cameron will sleep there at night and in her crib during the day. Unless of course she's like my boys were and then will just end up sleeping in her swing all the time.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

July 27th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a bassinet, for beside the bed for the first month or so unless she hates it like her brothers, the pack n play will be in the living room for naps. After she outgorws the bassinet we have a mini crib(size of portable) that has been used with the boys to put in our room until she's about 14 months. I have a very hard time putting them in their own room. LOL

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

July 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
At night it will be either a cradle or bassinet next to my bed because the nursery is upstairs and I don't want to have to go up and down the stairs several times a night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search