Job is stressing me out, soo NOT understanding

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Super Mommy
I wonder if a doc would recommend "bed rest" or short term disability for a pregnant lady who was stressing from work...

My job has realy disappointed me. First my supervisor acts like he never knew I was pregnant until recently (not true, he knew at least in December!) And then it is like I am breaking every law of the land if I need to be out for an appointment, like my department falls to pieces when I am not here, puh-lease.

I know my blood pressure must be up, everytime I have to come in this place Iam depressed and agitated. I hate the lack of understanding.......At first I was going to work up until my due date but that is out the window, I am making my last day June 16, 3 weeks before my due date. And believe me it can't come fast enough!

I don't think it is fair that I have to be made to feel guilty for using my leave to go to my docs appointments... it's like what do you freakin expect!?

Then my HR director "suggets" that I ask my doctor to accomodate me...yea right like that is going to happen, my doc is supposed to rearrange his surgery schedule and all of a sudden have Saturday office hours just for me?

I was like is he KIDDING?? Then he suggested I make my appointments later in the day, umm the office closes at 4 pm with travel time included I would STILL end up having to work 1/2 days on appointment days I would always try..TRY to schedule my appointments in the morning so I could at least make it in to work by noon, but did anyone appreciate that? NOPE. Now I hope every appointment is smack dab in the middle of the day! 11:30 am appointments so I have no choice but to use the whole day since noone appreciated when I did try to get in for a 1/2 day.

Argh I am just ready to not be around people who lack a little consideration.

I wonder if stress leave qualififes for short term disability and if I could qualify?

<param name="AllowScriptAccess" value="never" /><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0"> <PARAM NAME=loop VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=menu VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=0xCC00FF> <EMBED src="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0" loop=false menu=false quality=high bgcolor=0 WIDTH="257" HEIGHT="160" NAME="a" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED>
Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com
March 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Prudence's Avatar Super Mommy
You would think that ppl would understand that Drs. have 9 to 5 jobs just as well as them. Why should they have sucky hours to so stupid businesses can force guilt on employees. You have leave time thats all that matters. It is none of their business what your doing during that time.
March 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dude, I can relate. My job is seriously pissing me off. THe difference is , SOMEHOW, I became the glue that holds this department together. It's gotten to the point where I can NEVER call in, b/c no one else can do what I do.... this is sad. I know for me, bedrest is a very real possibility, and I almost welcome it at this point. Like now, for instance. There is a situation at home that really needs my attention - but we're understaffed, as per usual, and I am here to stay. It's BS. If they're gonna treat me like an operations manager, they can PAY me like one, or they can kiss my #####.
I am TIRED of being the brunt of everyone's frustrations. I realize ##### rolls downhill, but seriously.... If I'm gonna be given the powers of a higher-up, then the $$$$ needs to follow....

I'm wondering if I have to go on bedrest, if collecting unemployment is an option? anyone know?

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
March 20th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Dude, I can relate. My job is seriously pissing me off. THe difference is , SOMEHOW, I became the glue that holds this department together. It's gotten to the point where I can NEVER call in, b/c no one else can do what I do.... this is sad. I know for me, bedrest is a very real possibility, and I almost welcome it at this point. Like now, for instance. There is a situation at home that really needs my attention - but we're understaffed, as per usual, and I am here to stay. It's BS. If they're gonna treat me like an operations manager, they can PAY me like one, or they can kiss my #####.
I am TIRED of being the brunt of everyone's frustrations. I realize ##### rolls downhill, but seriously.... If I'm gonna be given the powers of a higher-up, then the $$$$ needs to follow....

I'm wondering if I have to go on bedrest, if collecting unemployment is an option? anyone know?[/b]
what kind of insurance plan is offered through your company, if they offer a short term disability option thenm you can still get paid a good portion of your income. Check into it, see if you qualify for it. My situation got jacked up in a major way, I used alot of my sick days for doctors appointments, wanted to start using Family Medical leave but guess what, I can't qualify for that until June 20...when I would go on maternity leave anyway..arrgh anyway see if you can get the short tewrm disability, by law pregnancy qualifies and you get 6 weeks for vaginal and 8 weeks for c/s delivery, if your job offers the benefit.

Some places have a 6 month employment waiting period some don't have any waiting period

Good luck and boy do I know the feeling...everyday I just want to walk out the door as soon as I walk in

<param name="AllowScriptAccess" value="never" /><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0"> <PARAM NAME=loop VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=menu VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=0xCC00FF> <EMBED src="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0" loop=false menu=false quality=high bgcolor=0 WIDTH="257" HEIGHT="160" NAME="a" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED>
March 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have United Healthcare thru work, and for my last pregnancy I got Medicaid as a back-up, which I will probably so again this time. My schedule is 130p-10p, so its pretty easy to schedule my appointments so that I don't have to miss work. FMLA is good for 6-12 weeks, but I'm wondering - If I'm FORCED to stop working, thru no fault of my own, am I or am I not entitled to unemployment benifits??? I would think so..... Short term disability is only 6 weeks, which sucks if I'm on bedrest for 4 months.... I'll have to look into that..

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
March 21st, 2006, 03:44 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well that really sucks. I thought that there were laws to protect pregnant women from such behavior from employers. Is there anyone above him that you can complain to about him?
March 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I have United Healthcare thru work, and for my last pregnancy I got Medicaid as a back-up, which I will probably so again this time. My schedule is 130p-10p, so its pretty easy to schedule my appointments so that I don't have to miss work. FMLA is good for 6-12 weeks, but I'm wondering - If I'm FORCED to stop working, thru no fault of my own, am I or am I not entitled to unemployment benifits??? I would think so..... Short term disability is only 6 weeks, which sucks if I'm on bedrest for 4 months.... I'll have to look into that..[/b]
I am positive that is just the maternity leave after delivery portion.

Short term disability is good for 26 or 28 weeks in one calendar year. The maternity leave option is where they give you the 6 or 8 weeks depending on delivery method, but if you have to be on bed rest that is a disability and you would be on that and after delivery the maternity leave portion would kick in. That is how it works in my stae and I think it is a federal law so it should apply to where you are too.

Like if my doc approved stress leave I could use that for however many weeks (lets say 8) and then switch to maternity leave status after delivery and have my 6 or 8 wees and still have 8 or 10 weeks of short term disability available for the rest of the year incase something else happend or I was disabeled in some way.

Now after the maternity leave portion you can't just tack on extra short term disability paid weeks. If you wanted to be out longer you would have to take bonding leave through FMLA and that is up to 12 weeks job protected. But if your pregnancy disabels you and you have to go out on bed rest you qualiy for short term disability and then after the baby you get the maternity leave....is that confusing? Haha sorry tried to get it all in there

Quote:
Well that really sucks. I thought that there were laws to protect pregnant women from such behavior from employers. Is there anyone above him that you can complain to about him?[/b]
Ha you would think right...the HR manager is the one who suggested I ask my doc to see me on Saturdays or extended office hours...and he is above my managers head...I will just wait it out and count the days until i can leave on leave! :-)

March 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Veteran
Although unemployment laws vary by state, most say that technically you need to be "able and available for work" which means if you are disabled and cannot work you don't qualify.

That said, I was in a RIF at my company when i was 9 months pregnant with my son. i got a very nice severance package and also applied for unemployment. I wanted to get as much money as I could since it was unlikely anyone would hire me with my looming delivery date - laws aside. Even after i delivered, I continued to "job seek" even though I'd need to delay my start date. Afterward, the unemployment office said they would have made an exception, but i wanted to be on the safe side!

Do you qualify for FMLA? You can file for intermittant leave and they would need to grant you the time off here and there for your doctor's appointments. The only drawback is that would cut into the 12 weeks you'd might want to take after the baby is born.

MM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search