1st appt. with High Risk doc....

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So..... I went today. not sure what to expect. It was standing room only in the waiting room, which did NOT make a good impression. I'm talking entire families were there with the pregnant woman - ***?!?!? I mean, it's lovely that the family is so together, but gimme a break! I was probably the only person there without 6 other people in tow. It seemed like I would be there a while, but in just a few short minutes they were calling me back....

They did another u/s This one showed 9 weeks 1 day, so the dates are correct all around. The h/b was 167, which is awesome! I don't know what kind of machine they have, but you could see all these little details. It's definitely obvious that this is a little human in there! The cord was forming and the yolk sac is smaller, which means the placenta will take over soon. It was so AWESOME! It took her a while to find my left ovary Finally she said "there it is.... right below your tonsils!" I had to laugh.. especially when I got this mental image of what my uterus must look like....

So, I have another picture for the scrap book. Then Dr. C came in and examined me. My cervix was PERFECT! Thick.long, and in the correct position. My bp was excellent, and my urine was.... well, I'm not sure, I guess it was normal urine.

Then I went into Dr. C's office to discuss "the plan." At this point, the plan is to continue as normal. She wants to see me back in 7 weeks to do another u/s and check my cervix. I brought up the issue of Progesterone shots, and I think she was impressed. She is in total agreement that this should be done. The shots will start at 16 weeks and go throughout. It will be a total cost (assuming I carry f/t) of $180, of which insurance ocvers NONE of it. Which is ok.... that amounts to $10/week. Basically, the company mails the shots to you, you take them to the Doc, and they administer there. She said I could bring someone (mom) and she could learn how to do the shots so that I don't have to go to the doc each time.

Now, the cerclage. We were hoping that my op-report would shed some light on the "Is it IC or is it PTL?" debate, but it did not. We are leaning toward PTL. Ultimately, it is my decision whether or ot to have cerclage, and also WHEN to have cerclage. I could do it early and be able to go the rest of my pregnancy as normal, or I could wait and let them watch me, and do it later if it is necessary... Then I would be on bedrest for the duration. There are drawbacks and risks with both. I am confused as to what I want to do. I want to be cautious.... very cautious. But I don't really want to have cerclage done if my cervix is not the problem.

I think I will wait until I go back at 16 weeks. If things look good, i may just let them monitor me. I think. I don't want cerclage at the last minute..... I DON'T KNOW!!!!!

I guess for now, I'm just gonna enjoy things. I wish there was a definite answer. I believe in my heart that it was PTL and NOT IC, but do I want to take that chance? No, not really.

Any advice, gals?

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
March 22nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Super Mommy
i don't know what ptl is, but i'd ask the dr, would it hurt to go ahead and do cerclage if not, i'd do it. I guess i'd just worry too much they wouldn't catch it in time. if it 'could' cause any complications...i'd just have them keep a close close eye on it and tell me what to look for....

yea, I know what you mean about whole freakin families... yea, support is great but the whole gang? my ob doesn't even allow kids anymore cause people would bring all five kids and not control them, so now I can take my nice, well behaved 4 yr old with me.... which she would enjoy hearing the heartbeat and such so that bums me out.

well congrats and goodluck with your decision.
DD - 19 months
March 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
soontobemommyto3
wow, I'm suprised that the Perinatologist lets whole famlies come. Mine only allows you to bring 1 other person and no children.

Sounds like a good appointment. I would probably not the the cerclage unless my cervix was showing signs of changing. If it was then I'd be there in a nano-second.
March 22nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont really know too much about cerclages either, so really no advice to offer. I guess they are going to check your cervix everytime you have an appointment? You said there are drawbacks and advantages, do the drawbacks outweigh the advantages? I know a girl who's had seven m/c and is getting a cerclage early on with this one that she is currently carrying. Whatever you decide, I know you will make the right decision. What does your SO think?

I think that's weird about the whole family being in the doc's office too. I mean, it's nice to have support, but yeesh.

I am especially glad you got to see your little one.
March 22nd, 2006, 08:06 PM
ocmorrishome's Avatar Regular
Wow the whole family... My Dr. wouldn't allow that. I would hope most of them would stay in the waitting area.

I am glad your Dr. visit went well. I was just wondering why are they going to wait till your 16 weeks along before starting progesterone shots? An I am not sure how your insurance works but I do know that with my insurance since my Dr. has written that the progestrone shot is to try to prevent miscarriage. They cover 90%. I have had 3 m/c's and I am taking the progesterone shots weekly at 8 weeks.

I wish you the best of luck.

Olivia
March 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
sunshinemommie's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't know much about the treatments you are considering but just wanted to to say cheers for a good checkup. I am happy to see you and baby are doing well
March 23rd, 2006, 04:12 AM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sound like an awesome appt. I am sorry I have no input on the cerclage(sp). Blessings B
March 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM
hopin4a4rth
I don't know about the cerclage either... sorry.

I'm surprised at whole families being there too!! But at at least you got right in! Glad the appt went well & I hope things continue to go well...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search