Where does the insensitivity end?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyone at work knows I'm pregnant. I'm starting to show and I'm getting the belly pats, which are annoying and often unwelcome, but I'm taking it in stride. I know they mean well and are happy for me. Well, a secretary asked me how far along I am and I told her 15 weeks. Then, she asked when my old due date was. This caught me off gaurd, but I told her April 15th. She then said "Well, I be April 15th wont be so terrible now that you're pg, huh?" and gave me a smile like we were best friends. I let this slide.

She then asked me about when I lost the baby, if I got a D&C. I said no, I was given cytotec. Her response was "So, it came out at home?" I nodded. "What did it look like?" It was like she asking me about some freak of nature. I was quiet for a long time and then said "You know, this still hurts me" and I walked away. I was proud of myself for not crying in front of her. I can not believe someone would ask me how my miscarried baby looked. That is beyond insensitivity and into cruelty.
March 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
soontobemommyto3
That is just horrible! I can't believe someone did that to you. I'm so sorry.
March 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's BS. I can't believe someone even said that, like it was just some sort of 'science experiment' or something. You have a lot of restraint; I probably would have had to be removed from the premises by the police....

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
March 22nd, 2006, 08:07 PM
sunshinemommie's Avatar Super Mommy
That is so uncalled for. I am so proud of you for saying that to her. I tend to be the kind of person who just smiles and walks away from nasty comments, but if someone said that to me I would freak. I am so happy to see you held your composure and said that. Good for you!!!
March 23rd, 2006, 05:00 AM
hopin4a4rth
That is definitely uncalled for and really insensitive. Women who haven't been through a m/c don't understand the pain... even if we are pregnant again it still hurts that we lost little ones. TBH, my EDD of March 15th wasn't very easy even tho Erich is doing so well. It's still painful.

I think you handled it great & hopefully the lady will think twice before doing that to someone else.
March 23rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
JCat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How horrible of her. *Grrr* some people's children

March 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Prudence's Avatar Super Mommy
That person is a friggin idiot. I know they exist (sp?) but really why, why are their morons.
I am getting better at being blut, I would have asked them what was wrong with them. Seriously.
March 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Super Mommy
wow, that IS insensitive. it is just people who have never experienced a loss like that so they have NO idea how much something like that hurts. whew. I would have walked away too and your comment was perfect. I bet (hope) she felt like a heal!! oops I meant heel!!
DD - 19 months
March 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Nancy
Some people just dont think. But that is no excuse. Way to go on how you dealt with it.
March 23rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so glad you said something to her. A lot of people really don't understand how their comments and questions come across-and I feel really badly that you had to go through that.
Marie
March 24th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OHHHH Renee, that makes me loose my breathe. I am so sorry , but gosh you handled it better than I would have. I just want to send you a big hug. Blessings B
March 25th, 2006, 03:56 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. She has since apologized akwardly for saying those things, her exact words were "if I offended you", but it's better than nothing I guess.
March 25th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Prudence's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah at least she is an idiot with a cons....... (i don't know how to spell the next word, i'm an idiot lol)
Yes I am glad you got an apologie, at least she knows she is out of line and next time she will think before she speaks.
March 26th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Super Mommy
wow...yea that was insensitive....people just don't think I guess....I don't think she ment any real malice, just didn't know any better I guess...You handled it like a champ.

It is something else that people don't think pas due dates or m/c hurt just because we are pregnant again like the memory of baby #1 or 2 is somehow nullified...

Maybe steer clear of that lady, I can't imagine what else inappropriate she has to say as the pregnancy goes on...

<param name="AllowScriptAccess" value="never" /><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0"> <PARAM NAME=loop VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=menu VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=0xCC00FF> <EMBED src="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0" loop=false menu=false quality=high bgcolor=0 WIDTH="257" HEIGHT="160" NAME="a" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED>
Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com
March 27th, 2006, 06:19 AM
anissa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to anissa Send a message via MSN to anissa
I have had three loses and I really don't think she was trying to be mean or rude. Some people are just curious but ask questions in the wrong way. Next time just tell her or anybody else asking the questions you don't feel like talking about it.
Gavin Thomas 06/01/06
Emma Grace Born Sleeping 8/4/05 22 Weeks
Some people only dream of holding an Angel I actually held one!
Angel Baby 8/14/02
Angel Baby 12/28/04

March 28th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Super Mommy
if she offended you... what.... wouldn't you have to be a moron to NOT know she offended you. maybe it was just something to say ... I dunno, i guess she could have blurted it out w/o thinking. really, most people do not understand losses. I've had people who have even HAD a m/c and still act kind of calous sp? with people who've had m/c. I've heard them talking at work about this lady who had several miscarriages and how she just needs to get over it. and this lady HAD a miscarriage. it goes back to an article I read about women being hard on each other. i would much rather err on the side of sensitivity!!!
DD - 19 months
March 28th, 2006, 04:48 PM
*~Candy~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have learned that people pretty much are idiots and don't care how rude they are when they say things like that. I am so sorry!

April 3rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
Veteran
Sheesh, I can't believe some people! This was your CHILD, not some kidney stone you passed!

I too think of my baby due in May that I lost. It's not like a new pregnancy ever wipes that out of your mind.

MM
April 3rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
appifanie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what a horrible, stupid thing to say!
Olivia Grace ~ October 26, 2006 ~ 6:04a.m.

April 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Destany's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm really new here but I just wanted to say BRAVO for how you handled that! I would have been lost for words. I've had three mc, two in the last year. Thankfully no one has been rude enough to say anything so calliced. Good for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search