Progesterone-

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a m/c in January at 7 wks and it was my first. First baby, first m/c. I am now TTC again and was wondering how many of you are taking progesterone? Is there a difference between the suppositories, cream or injections? Also, if this is an easy fix, why on earth do the not test every woman right at the first visit???? I can't beleive that this is not common test for all pregnant women. I do not know why I had a m/c, but what if it was progesterone and they could've given me medicine for that Next time I get pregnant, I am having them test my HCG and progesterone right away.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!
March 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Super Mommy
if you do a search on this forum, someone a couple weeks back posted on progesterone.

I too was VERY frustrated at the lack of concern as far as testing for that. i mean , come ON, you are already testing for HCG why not through progesterone level in there too. seems pretty common. if I didn't know all that I DID, I'm sure I would have lost my ds too (I lost two others before him and I'm almost certain I lost one becasue of that). I MADE them test me, I MADE them give progesterone. I was 'borderline' in my levels BUT with that said, I dont' understand the lack of testing here. if you take progesterone and you are going to MC, it won't stop you from m/c'ing (though it may delay it a bit) and if you take progesterone, it doesn't hurt anything even if you dont' need it. it does make you more tired and many insurances dont' pay for it but how many of us would let that stop us, its not out of control expensive.

I really don't understand the attitude of the common OB on progesterone. I had been to a fertitlity dr and knew all about this stuff. I had to tell my drs office (non fertility/OB...we had stopped trying) and the test and what the level should be....what to prescribe and how to prescibe it.

Its a little frustrating to know more than the medical staff at your dr's office but for some reason, progesterone doesn't seem to be on the forefront of tests UNTIL you've have many m/c's and problems. sad, very sad.

I only had a borderline low progesterone so I only had to do a 100mg suppsitory at night. its gross but SO worth it. arm yourself with knowledge and demand the tests when the time comes.
DD - 19 months
March 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not yet, but I will be at 16 weeks and then throughout the pregnancy. It's kind of a preventative measure for me. I will be taking the shots, once a week. It has been proven that in women with a history of premature births, progesterone shots can help calm the uterus, strengthen the placenta and liekwise prevent premature labor.

The suppositories are of course, inserted vaginally, which releases the hormone directly to the cervix/uterus. It's more of an instant thing. The pills are mainly to maintain a steady level of progesterone in the bloodstream. Pills are usually long-term throughout the entire pregnancy, while the other 2 are used intermittently or up until a certain point.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
March 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Super Mommy
I've not heard of the above; however, the progesterone I took was for early term; sustaining a pregnancy. I only take it for the first twelve weeks. I've never had pre-term labor so I dont' know anything about progesterone for that.
DD - 19 months
March 24th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I took progesterone during my first trimester of this pregnancy because my levels were very low. I took the pills first, but had severe side effects from them so I then took the suppositories. My insurance didn't cover the suppositories but if you find a pharmeceutical supply company close to you, you can contact them and ask about buying the suppositories directly from them. It would have cost me $146 for them from my pharmacy but I paid $15 from the supply company. Your Dr. can fax them the prescription and they'll fill it.

On another note, during the first 6 pregnancies that I lost my progesterone level was good and my HCG level was fine also and I still miscarried. This last pregnancy is the only one I've experienced a low progesterone level and it's a healthy baby.

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
March 24th, 2006, 02:33 PM
ocmorrishome's Avatar Regular
Wow I learn somethng new everytime I read this forum.... I did not know that some women need to take progesterone later in there pregnancies.

I am currently taking the injection. An you know I like it for several reasons:
1. I was getting real bad headahces with the suppositories. I may get a headache the day I get the injection. An from what I understnad headaches are not that common. I have just been one of the lucky ones to have to deal with them.
2. They can get messy. You can have more discharge than normal.
3. An this is my favorite. I get to see the Dr. and/or his Nurse each week and if I have any questions are concerns I get to ask.
4. Besides it's allot easier for me to just go and get the injection. An I have been luck that my insurance covers it. I have asked the nurse about it and the billing office. An I was told that allot of times it depends on how the Dr. codes the injection. As for me he codes it as trying to prevent miscarriage. Also your insurance may cover the injections and not suppositories or cream.

But I agree with you about why is the progesterone not a normal test. An you know it's not like they need to take any more blood from you. I say they should make it a test and they should make the insurance company pay for it.

Good luck

Olivia
March 24th, 2006, 03:52 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I think that everyone else covered most of it, but thought I'd add a teeny bit.

First, I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope that you don't have to wait long to be pregnant again! I'm not on it for this pregnancy, but should have been for others. I found out that I had low progesterone WAY early (in my early teens). I didn't think much of it, but got pregnant on Depo because my progesterone level was raised by the shot enough to HELP me get pregnant instead of keeping me FROM getting pregnant. In subsequent pregnancies, they only occasionally tested my progesterone because they assumed that each pregnancy would fail. (My history just seemed to indicate it, I guess.) With this one, I have no idea what happened, but my progesterone was fine at the beginning...and I only know that because I asked 4 times for it to be tested. I have no idea why it's not routine. I was frustrated because I would see that other women had theirs tested without even asking and there I was, begging.

When you get pregnant again, just ask for it if they don't do it already. Most will comply, especially if you point out your previous miscarriage. Good luck and baby dust!!!

March 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
THanks girls. I have a right to be tested dangit! I will demand it next time. No one will look after me, except me, so I gotta do it!

Thank you to *Kiliki* for creating the perfect siggy!

"Victory is sweetest when you have known defeat" ~Malcolm Forbes

IUI #1 - Nov 07 = BFN, IUI #2 - Dec 07 = BFN
IVF #1 - Apr 08 = BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 18
Dec 2 - Beta 1: 198!! Dec 4 - Beta 2: 660!!
Dec 15 - 1st U/S - We're having twins!!!
Dec 23 - 2nd U/S - Surprise it's triplets!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search