Read another post that scared the heck outta me

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2006, 06:41 PM
*~Candy~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In my DDC there was a girl that was due the same day as me and just lost her baby due to a incomptent cervix. I had never heard of this and NOW wished I woudlnt have, so NOW i keep thinking about it and actually couldn't sleep the other night worrying so much about it. Anyone heard of this? is it common?

Sorry I just knew you girls would understand and not think I am to nuts.....

March 29th, 2006, 09:21 PM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually have quite a few moms at work who delivered early due to an incompetent cervix. It's when the cervix opens without warning, usually no contractions and such. I in fact know of a mom who lost one at 20 weeks and then had another one early at 23 weeks. She said she went in for her 20 week appointment and they luckily did a cervix check and she was 2 cm dilated. They did a cerclage and that kept her son in for 3 more weeks, which gave him more of a fighting chance. From what I hear, the sooner one is done, the better. He is hanging in there, but is going through a lot right now.

It's very rare though, like 2-3 percent of women have this problem. So not common at all.
March 30th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Quote:
I actually have quite a few moms at work who delivered early due to an incompetent cervix. It's when the cervix opens without warning, usually no contractions and such. I in fact know of a mom who lost one at 20 weeks and then had another one early at 23 weeks. She said she went in for her 20 week appointment and they luckily did a cervix check and she was 2 cm dilated. They did a cerclage and that kept her son in for 3 more weeks, which gave him more of a fighting chance. From what I hear, the sooner one is done, the better. He is hanging in there, but is going through a lot right now.

It's very rare though, like 2-3 percent of women have this problem. So not common at all.[/b]

LeedaRenee

Thanks for the reply, That makes me feel better to know that its rare. Just so scrary to know all the things that could go wrong.

March 30th, 2006, 10:13 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My SIL has it, but she's the only person I've ever personally known with it. And although her girls were both early, they're both doing great. It really isn't anything to worry about, but I know that's easier said than done! Chances are great that you'll have a normal, healthy pregnancy.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

March 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Super Mommy
I wish there was a symptom or something. My doc has not done a pelvic exam in weeks so if I was dialated I surely don't know about it.

I have a 27 week appointment on Monday...I know I'll do the glucose test but I wonder if he will check my cervix...not that I am jazzed about a pelvic exam, I just want to be sure, extra sure

<param name="AllowScriptAccess" value="never" /><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0"> <PARAM NAME=loop VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=menu VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=0xCC00FF> <EMBED src="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0" loop=false menu=false quality=high bgcolor=0 WIDTH="257" HEIGHT="160" NAME="a" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED>
Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com
March 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I have it. And it's not all that rare. There usually is no warning until it happens, and no way to diagnose until its too late. But thanks for making it seem freakish.....

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
March 30th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Ethans_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just met a girl at church that has this! She has 2 kids, both healthy and she went to term with them, but with each one, when she was 14 weeks she had to get a cerclage. (sp?)
I went into labor with Ethan at 29 weeks for no obvious reason, and I am wondering if my cervix just couldnt handle it. I just went in complaining of a lot of pressure down there and sure enough when my dr checked me, I was 2 cm dialated. Lucky for me, (and ethan) I caught it in time and with meds, steriods and bedrest, Ethan held on til 35 weeks before coming out.
I am curious to see what happens this time around since it couldve been a # of things that cause this the first time.

<div align='center'> </div>
</div>
March 30th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Usually IC shows between 18-22 weeks, but it can show earlier or later. Mine was at 26 weeks. I'm curious, are they doing cervical length checks on you this time? It is possible to have normal full-term deliveries and then IC shows up ; (

Agatha Christie</span>
March 30th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I wasn't trying to make is seem freakish at all. I was only repeating what I had learned on the topic from school. I wouldn't at all call the mother I referred to in my post a freak, I find her to be a wonderful mother in great circumstances. I dont understand why anyone would get that from my post.
March 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM
koakoba's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister has IC, does that mean I could have it? Is it hereditary? I need to add this to the list of stuff to talk to my doctor about....

</div>
March 31st, 2006, 04:42 AM
Quote:
I wasn't trying to make is seem freakish at all. I was only repeating what I had learned on the topic from school. I wouldn't at all call the mother I referred to in my post a freak, I find her to be a wonderful mother in great circumstances. I dont understand why anyone would get that from my post.[/b]

I didn't get that from your post at all, and actually you are right about it being rare. I have the Mayo Clinic book on pregnancy that my State Farm agent gave me and was reading about IC last night and you were right on track, it said that there is only about a 2-3% chance that it happens. So yes it is RARE not freakish.

March 31st, 2006, 07:22 AM
anissa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to anissa Send a message via MSN to anissa
I have IC and I am on complete bed rest right now. I have a cerclage in but so far it has not stopped me from getting shorter but so far has stopped me from opening up. I would talk to your doctor about you concernes. He will go over you medical history and check to see if you are at risk for IC. I have IC from a leep I had done on me years ago.
Gavin Thomas 06/01/06
Emma Grace Born Sleeping 8/4/05 22 Weeks
Some people only dream of holding an Angel I actually held one!
Angel Baby 8/14/02
Angel Baby 12/28/04

March 31st, 2006, 09:20 AM
Super Mommy
my dr says it happens in less than 5% of pregnancies. I was concerned about it as well.
DD - 19 months
March 31st, 2006, 01:36 PM
Sorry. I just thought that of all places, 'Pregnancy after Loss" would be the ONE place where statistics didn't mean anything to us, since all of us are stats..... it really helps to reinforce the 5% stat when I'm that 5%.

Go to the HIGH RISK group - there's at least 6 people in there alone who have IC. I'm sure knowing that 95% of other women won't go thru what they are going thru would be such a comfort to them....

Agatha Christie</span>
March 31st, 2006, 04:41 PM
I am not surprised that a high risk board has a lot of women with IC.

I really dont want to argue. That is your opinion if you feel I was trying to make it seem like women with IC are freaks. I might as well call myself a freak as well since I am "stat", as you put it. MY opinion is that if we can hold on to even a shred of hope during times when we are all stressed and feel alone, then I am sure as hell going to do it. That does'nt mean that people totally forget about the problems that can occur. None of us is that ignorant. There's not one day that goes by I dont think about something going wrong.
March 31st, 2006, 06:41 PM
Quote:
I am not surprised that a high risk board has a lot of women with IC.

I really dont want to argue. That is your opinion if you feel I was trying to make it seem like women with IC are freaks. I might as well call myself a freak as well since I am "stat", as you put it. MY opinion is that if we can hold on to even a shred of hope during times when we are all stressed and feel alone, then I am sure as hell going to do it. That does'nt mean that people totally forget about the problems that can occur. None of us is that ignorant. There's not one day that goes by I dont think about something going wrong.[/b]

Couldn't have said it better myself!

April 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Super Mommy
I don't think it is freakish at all. I worry about it too, but with it being one of those "out of the blue" kind of things no way to really know sometimes until its too late like someone else said.

My doc has not checked my cervix in a few weeks and of course I was kinda worried but so far so good.

I wouldn't focus too much attention on it. Maybe have a pelvic exam see where you are if you just need a little peace of mind. Surely doc won't mind. (((HUGS)))

<param name="AllowScriptAccess" value="never" /><PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0"> <PARAM NAME=loop VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=menu VALUE=false> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=0xCC00FF> <EMBED src="http://www.blingyblob.com/countdown/countdown.swf?tyear1=2006&tmonth1=7&tday1=7&thours 1=0&tminutes1=0&event=Ariana Arrives!!!&clr=0xCC00FF&tseconds1=0" loop=false menu=false quality=high bgcolor=0 WIDTH="257" HEIGHT="160" NAME="a" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED>
Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search