Can't eat anything...

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
dancefever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm worried about the baby

I can't seem to eat anything, and I mean anything! I don't know what Michael is making in the kitchen right now, but just the smell makes me want to hurl.

He knows I haven't eaten yet today and keeps asking me if there's anything he can make me or anything he can go out and get for me and then rattles off a bunch of stuff but everything he says just makes me scrunch my nose up and want to puke.

I'm hungry but I can't bring myself to eat anything. Yesterday I tried saltines and ginger ale but even that isn't working today. I'm worried the baby isn't getting the nutrients it needs and all that good stuff.

I know I'm early on and all that... I guess I just need some reassurance that the baby is going to be okay.
And any tips to fix this would be awesome!

March 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Plain bagels got me through the first few weeks.

Just stay hydrated... the food doesn't matter as much. The baby will steal everything it needs from your body, so no worries there. Eat what you can, when you can. Sucking on hard lemon candy helps a little too. Pears also helped me get through some of the "I can't eat anything" days. If there is ANYTHING that sounds remotely good, try it. Popsicles maybe? Jello?

The first trimester stinks

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

March 7th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
i know exactly how you feel.. I could not eat for the first trimester - actually, until around 20 weeks. It was horrible The baby is going to be the one getting all the nutrients you do take in, it will be you that misses out... so try to eat when you can - and what you can. My m/w told me it's better to eat something that isn't wonderful, than to not eat anything....

March 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep, you will be fine (well, the baby will be fine because he or she will steal your food and nutrients you have stored up). I agree with the above comment to stay hydrated. Just keep trying lots of things! Flat soda, gatorade, more ginger ale...

I also had really good luck with staying active. It really helped me keep the sickness away, I'm sure of it. (If anything, working out helped take my mind off of it and my blood away from my digestive system for a bit).

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

March 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I forgot to add... I started taking 50mg of B6 at night with my prenatal and it made a HUGE difference with my morning sickness

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

March 7th, 2010, 04:03 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
the ladies have covered it all I think !
do you drink milk? maybe try a protein shake?
sometimes not having any food in your tummy makes it worse too....
I hope you can get something down soon ....it is so hard in the first trimester ! UGH

March 7th, 2010, 04:59 PM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
I'm sorry you can't eat anything! I really wish I could sympathize with you, but I don't get any symptoms really until about 8 weeks or so when exhaustion kicks in and I sleep 23 out of 24 hours a day.

March 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
With my daughter I drank slim fast. It was chocolate and it had a ton of good stuff in it =)

Do you take your prenatals? the baby will, like everyone said, take what it needs from you. When I had my daughter I gained 10 pounds...I couldn't eat anything...she alone weighed 8...and 6 weeks after I had her I had lost 30. I still thank her every day for being a huge pig and stealing everything good from me =)
March 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
I'm having the same issue, only I don't want to drink either. I haven't had anything to drink yet today. I'm thirsty and sitting here with a bottle of water beside me, I just can't drink it. I suppose I should force myself..

As far as eating, I'd eat ANYTHING that I had any desire to eat, because I don't want anything. If something happens to sound good, I'm gonna eat it! When I was pregnant with DD, I drank a lot of chocolate milk and that helped. Maybe you could try that.
March 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you are so sick feeling. M/s can really be the pits! I had it BAD with both my kids. But the other ladies are right...baby will get all it needs from you and will be fine.

What worked for me was smoothies. I did not want to eat anything but I would drink. And fruit has so much good stuff in it! Try some O.J or apple juice, a banana, strawberries, and a little vanilla ice cream or yogurt (for calcium) And you can always add honey to make it sweeter.

I would just buy the bags of frozen fuit at the store so I would not have to worry about fresh fruit going bad. My fav was peaches and blueberries.

Hope you find something that works for you!

March 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
As miserable as us moms get, our babies are fine, they just steal what they need from us. I took Unisom and sniffed freshly cut lemons for 14 weeks - I even carried lemons in plastic baggies in my purse. Lemonade and salt and vinegar chips (eaten slowly, together) are also supposed to help.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM
GeekMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, you prenatals will provide a good source of vitimans! I mean ginger ale was the only thing that kept me going, I couldn't keep down a thing and felt the same way. I felt horrible that I could not bring my self to give my child nutrition.
What I did was eat very slowly and tiny meals. Like I would keep a bag of pretzels by my desk and munch on them as often as I could. If you get sick you get sick. Just if you can eat try to eat very healthy food, I don't believe you baby is pulling that much food from you yet. But, I completely understand you concern. Maybe talk to you doctor she put me on Phenegren and after a few days I was able to eat!
March 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just taking your vitamins and staying hydrated is the most important in the first trimester. Im sorry it's so rough right now - you can also try taking dramamine for neausia or see if your ob can give you something! HUGS! i know it sucks, believe me i've been there - but you'll make it and baby will be ok!!
March 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks so much ladies! I know the baby will get everything it needs, I was just nervous. And I am taking my prenatals so I know that's helping the baby.

I took the suggestion of bagels and it worked for one night... now, not so much.

I'm thinking I'll try smoothies next.

I did ginger ale & saltines but even that isn't working anymore. The ginger ale isn't calming my stomach anymore and I feel absolutely horrible today and so very nauseous.

I have my first ultrasound tomorrow to make sure everything is going okay so I'm thinking I'll ask the doctor if there is anything they can give me. The thing is, I'm not actually throwing up. I keep running to the bathroom thinking I'm going to throw up, but, I can't. Nothing comes up. I just stand there over the toilet dry heaving and feeling miserable for about 5 minutes before I give up. I really wish I could just throw up because I think I'd feel better. So I don't know if the doctor will give me anything since it's just a nauseous feeling and I'm not actually throwing up. Guess we'll see!

ETA: Spoke too soon. Like a half hour after writing this, I threw up for the first time. But all that was in my stomach was a few saltines and some ginger ale from this morning. Now I don't want to eat those anymore, at all.

Last edited by dancefever; March 10th, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
March 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
My SIL always had ginger snaps on hand to help with the m/s. i've never tried them, but she swore by them. I think Ginger has some anti-nausea qualities, but I'm not sure.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

March 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
GeekMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with you on the ginger ale. It WAS saving my life now it just taste horrible and makes me sick. A very good friend of mine has been having a lot of the same issues and she suggested baked potatoes with a bit of salt.
I have recently gotten all my morning sickness back and I think a lot of it is due to my prenatals. I just went and got the off brand from walmart, Spring Valley, I believe.
The other things I can suggest are sour foods. I have been eating pickles like you would not believe. I know that sour and ginger is a really good thing to help with morning sickness/vomiting so I decided to try some sour foods.
Pickles
Ginger Candies (They really should not be called candies they taste frightful)
mashed or baked potatoes
really anything sour!
I can't say that it will help and I see that you are 7 weeks and that is when I thought I was going to die. Trust me dear it will get better! I know you miss food just as much as I do!

PS I re read you part about trying smoothies. Me and my DB just got a smoothie maker and I can't stop making them. I think we used bananas and strawberries with OJ. I hope that something makes you feel better!
March 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks! Haven't tried the smoothies yet, but am hoping to this weekend. I'm going nuts though. I feel like I can't eat anything.

We bough raspberry ginger ale the other day and I'm going to try that and see how it works since the regular kind isn't cutting it anymore!

The baked potatoes sound like a good idea though. Might try that too. Thanks for the suggestions!

And I am on the Spring Valley prenatals from WalMart, but I actually feel like they make my nauseousness better, haha. Maybe not though?!

Hopefully this gets better for both us soon!

March 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When do you take your prenatals? I take mine right before I go to bed b/c they make me nauseous too.

O' and baked potatos are really good for you! They are really high in iron and zinc (I think) and throw some cheese, butter, sourcream (or ranch dressing) on top for calcium!

BTW...smoothies are awesome even if you throw them up because TMI it is just liquid and they come up easy...this is why I loved them so much when I was pg with DD. Sorry I know that is gross!

Last edited by ~*Kixs*~; March 12th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
March 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kixs*~ View Post
When do you take your prenatals? I take mine right before I go to bed b/c they make me nauseous too.

O' and baked potatos are really good for you! They are really high in iron and zinc (I think) and throw some cheese, butter, sourcream (or ranch dressing) on top for calcium!

BTW...smoothies are awesome even if you throw them up because TMI it is just liquid and they come up easy...this is why I loved them so much when I was pg with DD. Sorry I know that is gross!

maybe gross, but true! As soon as DF gets home on Sunday, we're going to have to run to the store to get fruit for the smoothies because we only have apples right now, haha.

And I take my prenatals whenever I remember But usually around lunch time.

March 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
try taking your prenatals at night. Many times they are behind alot of the nausea.
hope it gets better for you soon !

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search