anyone had this happen - sudden dizzy spell, blurry vision

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I was at the mall with Mum before & noticed I was finding it hard to feel like I was catching my breath.. then all of a sudden my head started to go all woozy, my vision went really blurry & I began sweating - Mum said all the colour drained from my face.. I had to go outside to see if that helped but it didn't.. Mum took me to the shop next door where they had some seats, I sat down, noticed that my ears were ringing too & then a minute or so later, I started feeling back to normal.. eye sight came back to normal, head came back to normal & I felt like i could breathe a bit easier... we left the shop & then about a minute later my ringing in my ears went away too. All in all it lasted maybe 5 minutes?

Has anyone had this happen?

I rang my m/w when I got home & she said to just sit down & relax, and to have a sugary drink, that it might have been low blood sugar or something... also that it isn't unheard of for it to happen, in the 3rd trimester.....

March 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
it really does sound like it could have been a low sugar episode....
if you were doing a lot of walking and "burning off" whatever calories/sugar you took in....it could very well have been that.

I have that at times...I am diabetic... and did when pg...
try keeping some hard candies in your purse when you are out an about, or even a juice box or bottle.
hope it doesn't happen again ! It is NOT fun!

March 27th, 2010, 07:24 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i got that with Ds from low blood sugar - no fun!!!
March 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
thanks ladies, my m/w said it sounded like low blood sugar, so I'm assuming that is what it was. After i posted here, I went and lay down & had a sugary drink, and feel much better. Was pretty scary at the time, I really thought I was going to pass out, but then just as quickly as it came on, it went.... weird.

March 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In my second trimester i nearly fainted a couple of times. we think i was standing too still LOL. it is a bit scary - i hope you can keep it away - oh and if you have to - just sit where you are! it's better than falling even if it looks silly.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
March 28th, 2010, 05:00 AM
baby4me?'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never had something like that happen during pregnancy... but did experience something like that before I got pregnant a few months ago. I am glad you are feeling better! It is very scary when it happens!!

Amanda & Rob married June 16, 2006

March 28th, 2010, 09:09 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not diabetic, but I do pass out under the right conditions and all of the things you have described are exactly what happens to me. Sweating, nausea, vision blurs then tunnels, and ears ring. I know if I get to the blurred vision and ears ringing that I need to get down to the ground quickly so I don't fall. If I pass out it is always because I haven't eaten (last time was in pre-op for my D&C and I wasn't allowed to eat for 12 hours before).

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
March 28th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
I had one of those episodes yesterday...for the first time...it was weird, and made me nervous for my baby, but she was moving afterwards, so I know it was all ok. I had some water, and something to eat, and laid down for a bit. But other than that, I was fine, and it hasn't happened again, but it did happen suddenly like you said, sweaty, and feeling like I was going to pass out.

March 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Marci - my midwife told me it is quite common for 'our' stage of pregnancy... She suggested I keep some candies on me when I'm out, so I can have one if I start feeling like that again...

March 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
It happened to me at the mall as well, in line at Baby Gap I couldn't get air and felt all dizzy. I made it to the food court and ate something and felt 100% fine. It has happened 2x since as well, now I pack snacks with me at all times.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

March 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
That is a good plan, I will have to get myself some snacks.

March 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
It could be low blood sugar or low blood pressure. Both can cause dizziness and both are fairly common during pregnancy. Keep a snack on hand and make sure you are getting plenty of fluids. I've had quite a bit of problems with dizziness this pregnancy. For me it's mostly been low blood pressure, but I have a glucometer at home and have checked my blood sugars as well and have recently had some problems with low blood sugar too.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
March 29th, 2010, 12:35 PM
krystal g's Avatar Happy to be a SAHM!
I've had that happen twice so far during this pregnancy and a few times before I was pregnant. It actually happened Saturday in the mall. I got really hot, sweaty, dizzy and knew that I was going to pass out soon. I had a granola bar in my purse and grabbed a bottle of water & a Pepsi from the food court and sat down. After I ate a bit and got some sugar in me I was fine. And then I realized I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast...about 5 hours prior...so I'm just chalking it up to low blood sugar. I think it was totally my fault for not being more careful with eating. Definitely keep a snack in your purse and try to eat/snack every 3 hours or so. It's good to have hard candies for emergencies, but also nuts and peanut butter or cheese is good to keep on hand for a high protein snack in between meals. It sounds crazy, but I throw string cheese in my purse when I'm going out and then snack on that if I haven't eaten in a while. I guess I need to heed my own advice, huh? LOL

My blog!
March 29th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a few episodes like that when I was pregnant with DS in 2008. Each time, I almost felt like I was going to faint, my vision went dark and I started sweating. I was better after sitting down. I agree it was most likely low blood sugar or pressure. I typically have low pressure anyways.

My Ovulation Chart
March 29th, 2010, 01:37 PM
i'm hoping it doesn't happen again, but it's good to have an idea of why it happens!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search