High Hcg and Ultrasound not measuring up... Please help

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Hi,

I'm new here to the message boards, and I'm in need of some other's help please. This is my 4th pregnancy with no live births. To give some history, with my first pregnancy I didn't know I was pregnant until the loss (estimated about 6 weeks) in 2004. My second pregnancy was a nightmare,
it was a roller coaster of being told it was a blighted ovum, and then found a heartbeat and then ended up losing it due to Trisomy 16, and Turner's syndrome. The embryo died at 6 weeks but the loss happened around week 9, in 2008. The third pregnancy didn't start off well, only made it to about 5 1/2 weeks, assumed blighted ovum in 2009. I was told that most likely they were all "bad luck." I have PCOS, had endometriosis, and cervical cancer-both cleared now. As I'm sure many of you are with this pregnancy I am now concerned over everything...

My LMP was Feb 12th, suspected pregnancy and got a faint positive on March 12th. I immediately called the dr and they ordered a serial quanitative every 48 hours. On march 12th(Fri) my hcg was 65, Monday it was 367, Weds- 847, Friday- 1500, which was my first concern because it didn't double and I had lost my pregnancy symptoms. But the following monday I was back up- 4818. I had the ultrasound on Thursday March 25th. I should have been 5 weeks and 6 days. I know I got pregnant between the 25th and 26th of February. The ultrasound only measured 4.9 weeks, there was a yolk sac but no embryo, yet. They keep telling me my dates must be off, but I know they aren't as my BF was out of town the rest of the next week. I asked for another HCG to calm my mind some. On Friday my HCG was over 26,000. From everything I see online that is REALLY high for 5 weeks. I have to wait until April 8th for another Ultrasound. Has anyone had anything like this? I'm trying not to think too much about it but as you all know... that's just about impossible. My concern is a molar pregnancy. My levels just seem so high and the ultrasound is not matching with conception. Please, even if it's not a good ending let me know any ideas or experiences you might have. Oh and I have had all the testing done for infertility and recurrent spontaneous abortion, recommended by OB. Thank you in advance to everyone who took the time to read all of this! Good luck to you all!!!
March 29th, 2010, 07:29 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I put your numbers in a doubling time calculator Doubling time calculator and it came up with 39.47 so almost right on at 48 hours really. That's a perfect doubling time. It's really hard not to worry, but I can't tell you how many people I have seen have recurrent losses to go on to a successful pregnancy. I had 3 losses in a row and am now pregnant and baby is growing strong. Your numbers sound wonderful. I will keep your baby in my thoughts and prayers and hope you have a good update to post after your next u/s.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
March 29th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, prayers and kindness! I agree my numbers are doubling well. I'm really happy about that, they just seem so high, all the charts I see show a high end of 7340 for 5 weeks(which the U/S dated me at) and I was over 26,000. Thanks again! Everyone is so kind around here! I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to you!!
March 29th, 2010, 07:46 AM
noworries
Your numbers are great. Ultrasounds aren't always right on when it comes to measuring. Do you have another ultrasound scheduled anytime soon?
March 29th, 2010, 07:53 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think your number sound great. I wouldn't let the HCG worry you. Molar pregnancy is really uncommon. Try not to stress over that....odds are on your side that it isn't that and honestly I would think your number would have had a HUGE jump... and they didn't. You just have GREAT doubling times Which to me equals healthy stick bean.

If you had a faint positive after your period was due, that could mean you ovulated later than normal or you had a late implanter. Both are normal and could just be the reason when the pregnancy was measuring 4.9 weeks when you had the u/s. Honestly it all seems to line up with a late ovulation. Do you chart? Do you know for sure when you ovulated?

I hope at the next scan you see your perfect little baby with it's heart beating away. I have a really good feeling about this for you! I am sorry you are in the wait and see time. I HATE that part of pregnancy. The days seem to drag by. I hope April 8th is here before you know it!

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

March 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I agree your numbers sound awesome!
Also remember that even though you might have had sex during a certain time- sperm can live up to 72 hours, so you very well may be several days off your target.

March 29th, 2010, 08:22 AM
baby4me?'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have anything to add.... I agree with what the other ladies said. Try not to worry (though I know it is hard). I had 2 miscarriages before my DD, and 1 before this pregnancy so I know how hard it is to not worry. I know with my pregnancies, my OB won't even consider doing a u/s before 8 weeks. They only monitored my Hcg levels.

I hope these next weeks fly by and you get to see your little beans heartbeat on the u/s!

Amanda & Rob married June 16, 2006

March 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Thank you all! You are all so helpful! It's reassuring to hear all of your encouragment!

Chispaza- I have an U/S scheduled for August 8th, which seems like forever!

Bobbie- I am really hoping for the healthy sticky bean this time! I actually was not charting, I have in the past though, and ovulation varies for me, usually. My last loss was in November 09, and I was really discouraged after that loss. I went on BC for the three month waiting period as recommended by my Dr. I had quit "trying." I had been ttc for 15 months with that pregnancy. It sounds strange but brth control gets me pregnant... This is the second time I went off BC and got pregnant the first cycle off. And the first pregnancy I was on BC. ANyway.... This time I ovulated off my left ovary, which is rare, so I'm not sure when it was. When it's my right ovary I can almost pin point it to the hour. Lastly, the days are really dragging by. The countdown til the 8th is on! One "helpful" thing is I am in the processing of a big move, so that helps to keep my mind busy on other things.

Sam- I'm really hoping the numbers are great :-) My other hope is that since it had been a while since we did the BD that he had some super sperm! lol That's really what my hopes are hanging on.

Thanks everyone! You are wonderful at lifting a girl's spirit!! I will update on the 8th or before if anything changes!! Good luck to all of you!

Thanks baby... My Dr just told me I had to wait until my HCG was over 2000. They monitor me pretty well, but sometimes it leads to more frustration. My pregnancy in 08, I ended up with 5 ultrasounds in a 5 weeks period. The last pregnancy I had low progesterone, and didn't go well at all. Hoping 4th time is the charm!
March 29th, 2010, 08:53 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I agree with everyone else your numbers are great! Implantation could have happened a few days later than nomal and that could be a reason the u/s is off. I had 3 losses and went on to have my son So i know all the fears and worries. During his pregnancy at 6 weeks my betas were 56,000+

March 29th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
All the ladies have touched on everything I would have said... Sperm living for a few days after sex, later Ovulation, Late implanter.... Your nummbers sound great!!

I have a twin pregnancy... and at 4 weeks... I was at over 10,000..... So your numbers don't sound all to high..... Keep positive!! HUGS!!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
March 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also wanted to chime in and say the pregnancy "symptoms" are not true indicators of what's really going on. I had ZERO pregnancy symptoms with this little guy...and now I'm 26 weeks. I definitely had more symptoms on the pregnancies I lost....so don't let your lack of symptoms worry you. It truly is an Old Wives Tale about morning sickness and whether or not your pregnancy will stick.

Big Hugs to you! I know this is such a hard time...hang in there.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

March 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM
krystal g's Avatar Happy to be a SAHM!
I can't really add anything different to what the other ladies have said. I would just *try* not to worry too much about the first ultrasound...even a day or two can make a huge difference in what they can see. My u/s at 6 weeks (because of 2 back to back losses) did show a h/b but they said I was measuring a couple of days behind ...and I know exactly when I ovulated and when we had sex. So late implantation can be very possible. Everything sounds good and I hope the days fly by until your next u/s!

My blog!
March 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
we worry when hcg seems low - we worry when hcg seems high!!! Can't win huh

I hope the time between now & your next u/s goes really really fast, and that you're given some reassurance. Like the other ladies have said, sperm can survive a long time, in the right conditions - so you could have ovulated later than you thought & that is enough to put your dates off by a few days....

March 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Just wanted to say Congrats!!! Try not to stress - easier said then done, I know. Your numbers sound great. Can't wait to hear an update on April 8th.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

March 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everything! LOL! Yes - sperm live for a while - late implantation - and your numbers are great! I know how hard it is not to worry. I had two miscarriages before this pregnancy - but so far so good! It sounds like your doing really really well! Keep coming here - and we'll keep trying to help!
!!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
March 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
*Amie*
All I can really add, is I had an u/s due to bleeding at 5 weeks (with this pregnancy) it showed NOTHING to confirm I was pregnant.. sent home as having a m/c. Requested a further u/s at 7 weeks and there was a lil baby in there! And I'm now 15 weeks I hope your next u/s brings good news, like mine did!

March 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
It looks to me like all of the ladies have covered everything !!!!
I just want to say Congratulations and welcome to the board!

sending you best wishes and tons of sticky dust your way

April 9th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Well everyone, there is no way I can thank you all enough!! I got good news yesterday, FINALLY, and I'm thrilled! This is the farthest I have been able to get a little bean! I saw a heartbeat of 144BPM, and the little one seems to have caught up to where it should be, atleast within a day or two. The CRL is 7.5 days, and gestational sac is 7.4 days. It was a great day, and I have been so happy, but I don't think it has all hit me yet. All of your kind words, hugs, sticky dust, and prayers really meant a lot to me! I feel a little crazy for being so concerned now. Best of luck to everyone!! And thank you again!!
April 9th, 2010, 07:59 AM
noworries
Yay! That's awesome news.
April 9th, 2010, 09:19 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love hearing updates like this! WOOOHOOOO for a healthy baby!

Please stick around and keep posting with us. And don't feel silly for worrying.... PAL is a hard road at times and worry is totally normal.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search