BTDT Moms...I need some traveling advice!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 12:31 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I have decided that I am going to take Katie to see my family and friends in New Jersey.
the flight will be about 2 hours....I have been slowly been working my nerve up to do so...
It has been 4 years since I have moved away and am missing everyone !!

any tips to make the flight easier on a toddler?

March 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
take toys, books, other activities on the plane with you - and take snacks! Be prepared to resort to bribery - so take some common 'bribery treats' lol.. things that she loves that she isn't allowed a lot.

Not sure what the policy is with kids having their own seats at a certain age over there (here they need their own seat once they're 2) - but I would recommend purchasing her her own seat, so she isn't on your knee the whole time - gives you more room to move, and her.

Take any small comfort items that she may ask for.. also, take something for her to suck during take off & landing... a sippy cup/bottle would be fine, a pacifier if she uses one - but you may have more success with a lollipop, because they'll tend to suck that longer than a sippy cup/bottle... it helps with the air pressure change & ears popping...

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Gab was 17mo when we flew to Hong Kong - and that was a 12 hour flight (also a 90 & 45 minute flight before the 12 hour flight).. and she coped better than I thought.

Oh - also book flights for times when she's more likely to be relaxed or asleep.. early morning, so you're flying before she's had time to get tired & crabby, or later at night when she's more likely to be asleep...

March 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
thanks for all of the advice Emma...I keep telling myself..I CAN DO THIS ! LOL....
I do think I will book a seat for her...I can not see her staying on my lap, especially if she wants to nap, it is so much more money,but I think it will be worth it ...
I am planning on lollipops too...and have read that warm water also helps with the ears also....have you ever heard that ??

March 30th, 2010, 05:39 AM
baby4me?'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Emma said it all! Definitely take snacks and toys for her to play with. DD has tubes so we never had to worry about her little ears DH and I took Abrielle on a flight last summer to NYC. It was only 1-2 hours (I can't remember exactly). We tried to get a flight close to her nap time or when she would typically be going to bed hoping she would fall asleep. She did not fall asleep during her typical nap time and was a little fussy but did ok in general. If I were going now, I would take a portable DVD player with head phones. She doesn't watch a lot of tv... but she is like any other child and loves it.

Check with your airline about what you can take with you on the flight. We took an umbrella stroller right up to the gate and they stored it for us before we got on the plane. Then we had it as soon as we got off. I can't remember if they charged us for that or not? It was great though. Of course, I have seen car seats that have wheels and a handle or a suitcase that you can attach a seat too. Though those cost money.

Oh and don't forget the baby wipes! When we flew back from NYC to Columbus, I totally packed the wipies in our checked baggage. We were running around the airport trying to find wipes. All we found was a little emergency pack that had like 1 or 2 wipes in it! I kept thinking... please don't pooh on the plane because that would just not cut it!

Amanda & Rob married June 16, 2006

March 30th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Amanda,

I am planning on taking the umbrella stroller, the other one is just way too big and bulky....and am going to try to borrow a friend's portable dvd player as well.
and yes,wipes, wipes ,wipes !!...not just for her, but I am sure I will be wiping down the plane too.....lol

omg..if she poos on the plane I will go insane!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search