Anxiety about 19 week scan

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Cherished1's Avatar On an extended babymoon
Hi everyone, Just wanted to post over here and share my thoughts on my scan next week. I am 18 weeks today and we have our 19 week scan coming up which we are so excited about! But I've started to worry about everything being 'ok' again. Both dh and I are already so in love with our baby that I would just die if anything is wrong. I guess so many of you have had these worries and I was just wondering if you had any advice on how to get through this next week without going insane?

Our Amazing Water Birth Story
April 6th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just had my 19 week scan and I was just as terrified. I couldn't sleep at night and I would cry spontaneously during the day. I wish I had good advice on how to get through this, but I had a really hard time. The two things I tried to do, which helped a tiny bit, were to keep myself busy so the time went by quickly, and to try and think of the positive things that were definitely going to come out of the scan (pictures, video, seeing her move, connecting with her, etc). I tried to let excitement overrun the fear. I can't say it worked fabulously, but I got through it, everything was fine - and now I'm just feeling 1000x better. Good luck to you. HUGS! I can't wait to hear good news!
*Forever missing our three butterfly angel babies*
~December 08~ ~May 09~ ~September 09~
Proudly breastfeeding, pumping, and cloth diapering my little sweet pea!

April 6th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Super Mommy
I think what you are feeling is totally normal. I think whenever you have a *bad* ultrasound, they just haunt you! We did the u/s to confirm lack of heartbeat at 40w1d with my son who was stillborn. So the dating ultrasound we had with this baby I was freaking out even though I've never had a problem in early pregnancy. Then the anatomy scan I had was with the same perinatologist where we found out about Joey's birth defect (omphalocle) and 2 vessel cord and although not the same office, same docs who confirmed his death so that freaked me out too...just afraid history would repeat itself. The worst was the wait in the waiting room...45minutes, and I had gotten there exactly on time. Just ridiculous. I had another u/s at 27w and though I could feel baby moving inside me in the waiting room I couldn't help that feeling of "OMG she's not going to have a heartbeat!" although that was clearly impossible since she was taking part in her daily kickboxing class at the time ()

Honestly, the best advice I could give you is just to stay as busy as possible this week and bring something to do in the waiting room so you are not sitting there looking at your watch. It definitely helped me to have a REALLY good book with me and my dh to talk to. The first thing the tech did was look for a heartbeat both times, then check the places Joey had his problems so that was very reassuring. Hopefully the tech you get will have some compassion knowing you have experienced loss before.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

April 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
noworries
I just had my big ultrasound last week and I was so scared. I simply tried not to think about it but as the days grew closer, I got more and more nervous. But, as soon as I saw his little heart beating away it was awesome.
April 6th, 2010, 01:05 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I had anxiety before my 20 week scan. I think it's pretty normal to worry like that when you've had a loss. Good luck and best wishes to you for a wonderful u/s!

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
April 6th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I felt terrified prior to my 19w u/s as well - infact even at my 28w growth u/s, I felt a little scared! So it's very normal....

April 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Cherished!

It's great to see you here and 18 weeks, wow! I have to admit as happy as I was after our 12 week scan the hardest time for me in this whole pregnancy was between 12 and 18 weeks as it was in between scans and I hadn't felt the baby move yet.

I was very anxious before our 18 week scan and unfortunately I don't have any profound advice of how to get through it. I just took one day at a time. What I can say is after the scan it was the most wonderful feeling and the baby started moving and from that point on I have been able to really relax and enjoy this pregnancy. Sure, I still have my freak outs but they are very rare and then my little girl kicks or moves and everything is wonderful again!

Are you going to find out the sex?

Best of luck and please keep us updated!

Mel xx

BFP - 23/08/09

Check out my bump: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f5...l#post17893964

April 7th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Cherished1's Avatar On an extended babymoon
oh Mel so wonderful to hear from you too and thanks to all you girls who replied sometimes it's just nice to know that you're not alone kwim I'm ok today but on Easter Sunday I cried on and off all day I think hormones were a big part of that. Yes we are going to find out gender and I am focusing on that heaps to keep my mind busy rather than wondering to the 'dark side'

J_n_JsMommy I can't even imagine what you have been through, it's simply devastating thank you for posting (((hugs)))

I will keep you all updated after the scan

Our Amazing Water Birth Story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search