36 Week Appointment (x posted)**Updated**

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2010, 03:10 PM
mimilareaux's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So after being told on Monday by an OB in my practice (not my regular OB, since I've been in their rotation since about 20 weeks) that I was mildly preeclamptic, even though my BP had been down and there wasn't hardly any protein in my urine... And I was itching on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet. So I called back yesterday and let the OB nurse know that I have started itching all over non-stop... She consulted with my OB, and said I needed to come in Wednesday morning.

My OB told me that I'm not preeclamptic, it's that I most likely have a condition called "ICP"... It involves decreasing liver function and basically my body isn't removing bile as it should and it's causing me to itch. They took two vials of blood, and did a NST. The lady in the lab told me the one test results should be in by Friday, but the second one she wasn't sure. Baby is looking good, thank goodness...

But after reading up on ICP, I'm thinking that I am going to ask for an induction. I will be full term at the end of the week, and I can't really take the itching anymore. But most of all, it seems like after the 37 week mark, it can cause serious fetal distress and/or stillborn. I just don't want to risk this harming my baby... After several losses, I've come so far. Anyone else know of anyone that has been through this?

** UPDATE **

I went to my appointment this morning, and my OB took one look at my BP and Urine (protein), and sent me over to L&D for monitoring. She is still awaiting the results on the lab work to confirm diagnosis for ICP.

After 3 hours, the on-call OB told me that everything is fine as long as I'm laying on my left side at all times. And I will be induced Monday night. Yikes! They want me to be a few days over 37 weeks. Until then, I'm on strict bedrest with only bathroom privileges... And the weather is gorgeous outside!

Last edited by mimilareaux; April 9th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
April 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ME!

I'm so sorry! Yes, you should induce. I found out with Juliana at 38 weeks 2 days and started my induction that night. The most frustrating part of it for me was that lots of people, like the L&D nurses, didn't know what it was and didn't think I was medically emergent for an induction. But is sounds like your doc is taking it seriously, which is great. I know lots of women even have an amnio done to check for lung maturity, then induce if lungs are ready. The other thing to discuss with your doc is getting a Vit K shot....because this disease can increase your risk of hemorrhage during birth. I didn't get one and they did have a hard time controlling my bleeding (I was fine though). I don't know how long before giving birth you need to get the shot, though. The good news is that your liver function "should" go right back to normal after delivery, mine did. Have you been to this website?
Itchy Moms Home
Again, I'm so sorry and let me know if you have any questions. I hope everything turns out great for you. My induction went really well and I was even able to go med-free like I wanted.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
April 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM
baby4me?'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am glad Kelly had some info to share with you! I have never experienced anything like it but it sounds like you and your OB are on top of it. Let us know what happens and take care of yourself!

Amanda & Rob married June 16, 2006

April 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks Kelly! I did read up on the website... And it seems that once you get to the last few weeks, it can really begin to cause some problems. That the bile can begin to triple in amount within 24 hour periods... And it worries me. How long did it take your lab work to come back confirming ICP?

I'm going to ask when I go in on Friday, if they will just go ahead and induce. I just don't think I could handle to go another week with worrying... And itching.

April 7th, 2010, 05:03 PM
The only test that can officially diagnose ICP is a bile acid test, which took about a week to come back (apparently there are only a few labs in the country that run that particular test). But because I was past 38 weeks, well into the "danger zone" and freaking out after so many losses, I was induced without an official diagnosis. The only other test that gives them some indication is a liver function test, which can be indicative of many different things, including ICP. That test can be done in a few hours. That combined with the itching w/o rash is what my docs initial diagnosis was based on. A week later, when my bile tests did come back, they were really high, which confirmed ICP for me.

If your liver tests come back elevated, hopefully your doc will induce without the formal diagnosis like they did for me. I remember it being such a whirlwind, most of what I have learned about the condition was after her birth.

April 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Okay, good. That's what I was hoping... I would just hate to have to wait another entire week (and itching for another full week). It's miserable...

The lab tech did say the Liver Function Test would be back in no time at all... I'm hoping my OB will just make the unofficial "official" diagnosis by that lab test and the itching as well.

I have an appointment on Friday with my OB, and hopefully she will have the results back on the Liver Function Test, and we can begin talking, if not, scheduling the induction.

I will update then... Thanks again for all your help Kelly!

April 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Kelly...thanks so much for posting all of the info here !!

April 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Super Mommy
I'm so glad Kelly was able to give you info. I know a mom on another forum whose baby was stillborn at 39wks due to undiagnosed ICP (she had lots of symptoms but her midwife never put them together or did the proper tests). She had ICP with her next baby and was monitored closely and induced at 37wks (healthy baby). I'm so glad your doc is taking it seriously.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

April 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm glad your doctor is keeping an eye on you & running the tests.. keep us posted!

April 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Updated in 1st Post

April 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I've been waiting for your post. Thanks for updating! Tough to distract yourself from the itching while on bedrest! It sounds like you have more going on then just ICP if your BP is high as well. Glad you have an induction date. I'll be thinking about you.

April 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I'm glad you have an induction date too - always better safe than sorry with something so serious...sorry about the bedrest though - but soon it'll be over and you'll be holding your little girl!! I was induced at 39 weeks, so let me know if you have any questions about what to expect...mine didn't go exactly textbook but I'd be happy to share what happened with mine if you're nervous (I was, and didn't have anyone to ask LOL)....

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also glad you have an induction date. I can't believe you will be holding your LO on Monday. Do you have anyone that can update us?

April 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Wow... you will be holding your little baby in just a few days!! How exciting!

April 9th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm so nervous about the induction and labor part... But hopefully, it won't be too bad! I'm just so ready to finally have my LO! It's been such a long road to get to where we are now!

I will have my laptop and will be able to update on Monday/Tuesday.

April 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Glad that you have your induction date set and get to meet your baby soon!!!
I've had a different condition in 2 of my pregnancies called PUPPP, not dangerous like yours, but I know all about the itching part and how crazy it can make you.
Wishing you an easy labor and delivery!! Can't wait to see pics of the baby!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

April 11th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
GOOD LUCK!!! Thinking about you!!!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
April 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck, can't wait to see an update!

BFP - 23/08/09

Check out my bump: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f5...l#post17893964

April 11th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to see pics of your little one

April 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Magicaledelishus's Avatar Mommy to Orion
Oh wow; I'm glad it's all being worked out. I hope it goes smoothly! Can't wait to see pics

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search