Worried about scan

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had a pretty rotten week. I went to the doctor on Tuesday to register the pregnancy and saw a doctor I haven't seen before. She took one look at my history and refused to give me a referal for an early scan because she thought I was going to miscarry again and she would have to cancel it I am so angry, she even used the phrase "If you are still pregnant in a couple of weeks, come back to see me and I will give you an urgent referal". I have been in pieces ever since. I feel like my pregnancy has been condemned before it's even started.

I went over her head and called the hospital directly. The midwife has booked me in for a scan on 23rd April. I am concerned because they don't usually scan you before 7/8 weeks but I will only be 6w3d. I have her all my dates, cycle length etc so she knows how far along I'll be.

I am concerned in case this is too early to see anything. how many of you have had scans at 6w 3d or there abouts and been able to see a heartbeat?

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

April 9th, 2010, 06:55 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Misty... these first few weeks are the WORST.

I had a scan with this baby at 5w6d and saw a HB of 110. With Matthew I went into the ER for bleeding at 6w3d and saw a HB of 120.

You SHOULD be able to see the HB...but if you don't, don't freak. You should at least see a sac and fetal pole.

Are you still testing? If so how are the tests? Can they run Betas to ease your mind a little?

I think that doc need a smack upside the head for treating you that way. This baby is a sticky one!

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon.
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 9th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hoping's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I despise the first few weeks of pregnancy. They are SO hard. The last 2 pregnancies, we have seen the heartbeat at 6 weeks 1 day. It is still borderline though so if you don't see it, try not to freak out. I know that is impossible, but there is still a chance it will be too early especially since you don't know the day of implantation etc. I am so sorry that doc was so rude. As if pregnancy isn't hard enough. *hugs!!* hang in there.

Our Two Miracles!
Alexis Jade 5/28/08 and Evan Russell 6/28/10
Always Remembering our 3 angels in heaven
April 9th, 2010, 07:33 AM
krystal g's Avatar Happy to be a SAHM!
I had an early scan this time around at 6w0d and saw a hb of 90. It was such a relief. But having said that, a day or two can make a world of difference, so if you don't see a hb, it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. Good luck!

My blog!
April 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I had a weird situation. At 6w4d they saw empty sacs (3, I was carrying triplets at the time) and told me it was probably a blighted ovum, because you can "always" see a baby and a heartbeat at that point. I was heartbroken to say the least. My dates were rock solid because I did fertility treamtents. At 7w4d we went in, expecting to have the diagnosis confirmed and got the shock of our lives- 3 babies with 3 heartbeats!!! The doctor said it was a miracle.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant today

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 9th, 2010, 09:17 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry the doctor is being such a B! That is just not right for a pg woman to be treated that way. (((HUGS)))

But that is really nice that the MW is going to get you in on the 23rd. That is just 2w away

I have had early u/s go both ways. I had an ectopic pg that was seen on u/s at 6w and there was no HB (Thank God!) but that is b/c the baby never developed...just an empty sac.

But with the baby I am carrying now I had an early u/s at 6w1d and saw a HB of 116.

Hang in there. The 1st couple weeks (or months) of pg are the hardest!

April 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I too had an early scan with this pregnancy. 6 weeks 4 days and had a HB of 125. I will tell you though that your concerns could be right. I had a friend who had a situation much like Rebecca. She had an early ultrasound at 6.5 weeks and they saw no heart beat. they told her she was going to miscarry (after 10 years of infertility and miscarriage that was NOT the right thing to tell her). She went back 2 weeks later to confirm her loss and set up a D&C and the baby was measuring perfectly on schedule and heart beating away.

I hope things go well for you at your scan but remember that no matter what they see it is not over until it is over. Rebecca and my friend both prove that while an early scan can show you a heartbeat just because you don't see one does not mean there won't be one.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

April 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
What a rotten dr. That just wasn't very nice of her. The first trimester is horrible with all the worry.
I've had a scan at 6weeks and we saw the hb. mind you we only saw it with a vaginal u/s not the abdominal, so keep that in mind.
Hope this is a sticky bean!!!!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

April 9th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I am so sorry your Dr would say that.. That is so wrong and she had no right to say that to you...

I had an early scan... I thought I would be about 6 1/2 weeks.... That is when we were told we were having twins... They were measuring about 5 wks 5 days and 5wks 6 days.... The PA thought she saw the starting of the flicker of the HB...

Good Luck I can't wait to hear the good news!!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
April 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont come to this board very often, but i felt i had to post. I had a scan on Thursday, because of my chemical in january. I could see the yolk sac, a fuzzy bean shaped baby and the flickering heartbeat. The measured the baby and said it was 6 weeks and 1 day. It was an abdominal scan.
I ll be thinking of you on 23rd April.

[/url]
April 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
(((Misty))) 5w6d I had my first u/s with Emersyn, and we were able to see a heartbeat... I would imagine that at 6w3d you SHOULD see a h/b, but it does depend on the quality of the ultrasound equipment. If they do an abdominal u/s, there is less chance of seeing the h/b - but a vaginal u/s SHOULD show the h/b

April 9th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Veteran
we confirmed the hb by that time with this pg via transvaginal u/s; i'd say you have a very good chance of seeing hb when you go.

BFP 9/4/09 - Michael John born 5/5/10
ectopic w/tube closure 3/24/09, 8w0d
2nd m/c 12/27/08, 5w2d
1st m/c 10/12/08, 4w6d
April 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
baby4me?'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had to say... How AWFUL of that Doc to say that to you! URGHHH.... makes me mad. I hope the next weeks fly by and you see a little flicker on the screen! The first trimester definitely sucks...

Amanda & Rob married June 16, 2006

April 10th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Thank you so, so much girls, you've helped to put my mind at ease that there's a good chance of seeing a HB that early. I know it's not always the case but I have of an idea what to expect now.

Bobbie, you know me - I have been POAS daily I ran out of FRERs in the first few days but earlier this year I bought some less sensitive cheapies so that if I got a BFP I would be able to tell the progression better. I figured if I saw less sensitive ones getting darker there was more chance it was not just another chemical. They have been getting darker each day, also last night I took another digi and the numbers have gone up (I live in the UK so I get the cool conception indicator!) from 1-2 weeks past conception to 2-3 weeks. I'd kind of wanted them to be up to 3+ weeks (even though the 2-3 weeks is accurate) so I'll do one more digi in a few days to make sure.

Rebecca, I remember that awful week of waiting you went through. I was in the May DDC too. I think I implanted fairly early as I got my first faint BFP at 8DPO but I remember how unusual the situation was with you after having fertility treatments so I know nothing is out of the question.

I have put through a complaint about the doctor in question. I am still shocked she could say something so cold. I wish I could get some hope and confidence back.

Co-Host of

April 10th, 2010, 08:03 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Misty...do you have any idea how happy it makes me to know your tests are getting darker?? WooHOooo for POAS! I wish we had those digi's here...they are soooo cool.

I really think this bean is good to go

Grow baby grow!

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon.
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your pregnancy. I had my first ultrasound done before and we saw a heartbeat. So I not think that is to early
April 12th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bobbie* View Post
Misty...do you have any idea how happy it makes me to know your tests are getting darker?? WooHOooo for POAS! I wish we had those digi's here...they are soooo cool.

I really think this bean is good to go

Grow baby grow!
They are REALLY cool, I have no idea why you don't have them yet! They've been out here for a couple of years now.

I took some pics of my ICs yesterday, I know they're not very exciting but I just wanted to look at the progression. Then last night my cheapy was a little lighter than the night before so of course now i'm going into a stupid panic. I hate that I'm not a more positive person.

Thanks again everyone for helping me relax a bit about the scan x x

Co-Host of

April 12th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I hope they get straight to it, so you can relax... nothing worse than waiting for the first u/s

April 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
(((hugs))) With Jon and Norah saw HB at 6 wks and 6 wks 1 day.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

April 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Biggest hugs every misty!!!! I am so mad at that doctor right now - I'd slap them if I could. seriously! I got b**ched out by a nurse when I had my second miscarriage - and it was really upsetting. We all need to be treated with love dignity and respect. If health care people can't do that - they need new jobs.
ANYWAY! - you will likely see a heart beat at that point - if it were me - I'd try and get an u/s a week later - but it really should be fine. I am hoping and praying and sending you a million good vibes. I know how stressful the first few weeks are and I'm wishing them quickly through for you!!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search