Needs some advice

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
So I went to the ER on Wednesday because I was having some really bad stomache pains (not pains in the lower just stomache pains) ad vomitting, I haven't actually vomited in 14 years so I was thinking it was the food I ate at lunch (chinese) or the stomache bug that's been going around at work.

I am 30, no prior preganacy's and my LMP was 2/12, I tested on the day that I was to have my next period and it came up positive. I am no meds. I have take 6 hpt over the ast few weeks, went to my regular gyn and she did a urine test confirmed the hpt and also did a pelvic exam, she said it seemed everything was normal and that I was about 5 weeks along (LPM would have dated me at 6 weeks, but I know you can ovulate late in your cycle) anyway scedule an appointment with an ob/gyn for the 26th of this month and at that time I would have been 10 weeks 2 days according to my LMP.

When I went into the ER they took blood confirmed I was pregnant (HGH was 8925) and that I had a high WBC 17,000 so I had an infection some where. Put me on an IV and gave me some meds for the nausea, I actually ended up throwing up 4 times in about 6 hours. After getting the meds and fluid I was fine. They did a pelvic exam, the cervix was closed, no blood or tissue present, they then sent me for an ultra sound. When the results came back they said that I was about 6 weeks 6 days but I should be 7 weeks 5 days accodring to the lmp. They said there was a gestational sac, messure my uterus, and there was a fetus/fetal pole that was about 8.9mm, but they said they didn't see a heartbeat or a yolk sac.

They said that I needed to have and D&C the next day, they offered no additional US or bloodwork, saying that the fetus had failed to progress and that I need to have this done. I called the ob/gyn that I had the appointment with and he was wonderful, he called me yesterday after I check myself against medical orders because I felt fine. He works with hospital that I went too that's why I went there so he was able to get all the test results and pictures from the US and go over them.

He said there was no reason to do anything now, and that he would like to do and US on the 19th. I asked him about the no heartbeat and he said sometimes you can't see a heartbeat until further along, also that the yolk sac sometimes is visuable sometimes not, that everything meassured good and that my HGH was a good number not to high not low at all. The WBC he said was nothing to be concerend about and that if I had an infection it was probably the stomache bug since I am not having any issues at all now. Also he said during pregnancy that the levels can and do go up and it's nothing to be too alarmed about.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? No heartbeat around this time or yolk sac?
April 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
first of all did they do an abdominal or transvaginal u/s on you at the hospital? That makes a huge difference. when I went in for my 6 week u/s she first did the abdominal and we could not see a hb at all....I was devastaed. but then she remembered to do a vag. u/s and there it was.
And yes, sometimes your dates could be off a bit and sometimes the hb starts beating a little bit later. So for sure I would not trust the ER doc to do a D&C just on their opinion. I would want to have it confirmed by a fewmore bt and u/s. I'm glad your OB is so supportive and with it! And I'm glad you didn't rush into anything.
I hope that everythig turns out to be fine at your next u/s!!! Sending you tons of sticky dust!!!!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

April 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you got a second opinion. Your doc should also be doing another blood test to make sure your #'s are going up. If your betas go down, then the outlook is not so good. If they go up significantly (they say double, but mine didn't quite double w/ a healthy pg) then keep your chin up and wait for another u/s. It IS a great sign that you are measuring right where your doc thought you should be.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
April 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I am sorry you're going through this.

I agree with Trish - if the u/s they gave you was a transabdominal u/s - it can make a HUGE impact on how much is seen, so early on... over here a lot of places won't do an abdominal u/s until 12 weeks...

Also, request to get another blood level done - if your hcg level is going down, then sadly that does indicate a miscarriage, but if it is still going up, it would indicate that further investigation is needed to be done to see what's going on - usually repeat u/s & repeat blood test...

fingers are crossed for you

April 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
It was a transvaginal ultra sound but I really hate to say this I really got the feeling
that the techniqian didn't know what she was doing. She was very impersonable and didn't say
hardly a word throught the whole thing. I don't know what to think I am glad I called my
doctor and had him look over the same test results that the er dr did. He didn't seem that worried
about things and said let's wait and see. I just having to wait 11 days and also wanted to see if
anyone else out there had similiar things happen
April 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs! Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. Hang in there! I know it's so hard. But, I'm really glad your doctor is waiting...there are tons of success stories out there.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search