Looking for progesterone users' stories

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DH has a balanced translocation in hid chromosomes, which apparently leaves us with a 31% chance of miscarriage each time. Since I have had 10 losses they think there might be another reason, but all my tests came back normal. Since they've never tested my progesterone during pregnancy, they decided to put me on 100mg of oral prometrium twice a day.

My question is; if you've had success with prometrium. How long did it take? Was your cycle a good one? Have you experienced loss on prometrium? I am nervoud that the prometrium with just make my loss take longer...

April 19th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
I was put on prometrium 200mg twice a day. DH & I were both tested and everything seemed to be fine except that I was of AMA and my FSH level was on the high end so I guess my egg quality sucks. I don't think I've had a progesterone deficiency, but was put on it and baby Aspirin just in case.
I don't know if that is what has made the difference.
I know of one lady in my playroom who started to bleed in the first trimester and was put on prometrium and just gave birth to a healthy baby boy a couple of months ago.
I hope that this will help and you have a healthy pregnancy very very soon!!!!! Sending you tons of baby dust!!!!!!!!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

April 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I got a BFP in the end of Aug, had my beta's drawn and my Dr always draws a Progesterone level with the HCG. My levels were 12.5 so they started me on 200mg pill form. When I got my second levels drawn Progesterone was up to 26 and HCG still looked ok... When I got my third levels My HCG failed to rise. So I was told to stop the progesterone a m/c was iminate. After I stoped the the Progesterone about 4 days later I spotted, bleed very lightly and than stoped. It took another 5 weeks for my levels to drop to normal.

When I went back for my follow... My Dr started me on Clomid and Progesterone.

Progesterone should be started with in 24-36 hours of Ovulation for the best outcomes.

But some Dr's feel that progesterone is low because the pregnancy isn't viable.. not the other way around... Some Dr's Feel (Like mine...) Progesterone can't hurt.. just help..

So every time I would go in to make sure I was going to Ovulate... I was told when to start the Progesterone. So it was with in the 24-36 hour time frame of ovulation.

GOOD LUCK!

Also.. if you are on progesterone.. it will delay you from m/c... you will still spot and eventually bleed.. but it does delay it.

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
April 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been on progesterone with 5 of my 6 pregnanies. With my DD (my 1st born) my progesterone level was 9 at 5w and a couple days. I was on progesterone for 13w with her and she was born happy and healthy at 38w 4d.

Also took with my my DS, my level was 11-12 at 5w. I took it for 12w with him. He was born at 38w happy and healthy.

And I just finished taking it with this baby as well. Even though my level was 21 at 5w with this baby I still asked for it as a precausion given my history. I took it until 10w with this baby. Things are still going good *knock on wood*

I have also taken progesterone with 2 losses. One was an ectopic so the progesterone really had nothing to do with that. That was just one of those freak things that no one can explain. And I took progesterone also with a natural m/c I had at 6w. The meds did not cause a missed m/c for me. In fact I started bleeding 1 day sooner than I had with my 1st natural loss.

Progesterone does wonders for women who have low progesterone. It helps to build up your unterin wall and keep that baby nice and stuck and happy until the placenta can take over between 10-13w. However if there is something going on with the baby the meds will not keep the inevitable from happening...which is what I think you were asking.

Best of luck to you and please PM me if you need anything.

April 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was on Prometrium 200mg before bed with Matthew and with this pregnancy. With my six losses I was not on it. These two pregnancies I was on it and the babies ended up super sticky For me it seems to be a god-send. I hope it works as well for you. I was on it until a little after 12 weeks with Matthew and 14 weeks with this baby. That is a little longer than is probably needed, but I didn't feel safe going off it too early and they said it couldn't hurt.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been on 200mg of prometrium before bed with this pregnancy. I had 4 previous losses (none on prometrium) so my doctors did ALL of the testing and NOTHING came back with anything but normal results. So my doctor decided to try it since (in his mind) it will not hurt anything.

I did get betas done for the first 2 weeks and an 2 early ultrasounds (6 weeks and 10 weeks) to make sure the pregnancy was viable. If something besides good results had come back I would have been told to stop the prometrium. But I did ask my doctor about whether it would stop a miscarriage that was going to happen anyway and he said no. If there was a reason for me to miscarry other than low progesterone it might delay a miscarriage for a few days but it would not stop it. That helped calm some of my fears about getting farther into a pregnancy just to find out I "should" have miscarried.

My last appointment with my doctor he told me that for every pregnancy here after I will be on prometrium. I seems to have done the trick for me.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

April 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know that if something is wrong with baby I will miscarry even on prometrium. That is my concern. My DH's chromosomes are messed up. So every time we get pregnant there is apparently a 31% chance that it's genetically abnormal. So I am on progesterone hoping that if baby is one of the 69% that is healthy it will be sticky. I worry a little that if baby is one of the 31%,progesterone will just drag out the loss and make it more emotionally painful.... Is that clearer?

April 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
If your baby has an unbalanced translocation, the progesterone really shouldn't affect when that baby passes. The baby passes due to the genetic defect, not a hormonal problem.

I took progesterone with both pregnancies. My first loss was a later stillbirth and he survived long after I stopped the progesterone. My second loss (this baby had triplet siblings) was due to a genetic disorder (Turner Syndrome). Again, the progesterone did not delay or postpone the loss. I think the progesterone did help the surviving baby, he survived a uterine blood clot and the passing of his two wombmates and is doing great.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm currently on 200mg of progesterone 3 times a day. They had me start right after my egg retrieval and I'm to stay on until week 12. But my situation is a little different in that this cycle we did IVF. Prior to that I didn't have any known problems with my progesterone levels.
April 19th, 2010, 04:29 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have taken progesterone in 3 pregnancies including this one.

My first time taking it my progesterone level would not rise. I started with 100mg twice daily and by the time we found out there was no longer a heartbeat I was taking 300mg twice daily. Once I stopped taking it I miscarried on my own 5 days later.

My last pregnancy I started taking 100mg twice daily staring 3 DPO. I took it until 12 weeks and never had an issue with my progesterone level. We found out around 14 weeks via CVS that our baby girl had trisomy 18 and we said goodbye early at 15 weeks.

I'm taking 100mg twice daily right now and have been since 3 DPO. I had my level checked last monday and they said my level was so high that I probably didn't need to be taking it but I could continue if it made me feel more comfortable. I'm still taking it and plan to until week 12.

April 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Erica,

Your worry is the same one I had when my doctor started me on progesterone. But when we talked about it (and I can not remember exactly what he said) the message was that it might delay it but not by much. Basically you would not know the difference between a loss on progesterone and one while not on it IF the loss was not due to a progesterone deficiency. It would certainly not delay it for weeks or even months.

If you are really concerned about it though I am sure your doctor would do frequent ultrasounds to check on the viability of the pregnancy. For my knowledge (and as Rebecca said) progesterone will not help the baby progress if there is genetic issues. I would raise these concerns with your doctor and see what they say.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

April 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you girls! You've been very helpful. Hopefully I will be back here in a few days with a sticky BFP!

April 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
hoping you get a sticky bfp VERY soon!

April 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I didn't get an answer in sooner, but the girls provided you with very good information. I have never actually been on progesterone in any other form than injectable. My levels the last two pregnancies have been so low, and my Peri just goes that route if needed. I just seem to have a hormone deficiency, but no chromosomal issues. The girls are very right though, if there is something genetically going on progesterone won't really make a difference. If it's a healthy little bean, then the progesterone will help keep things balanced and working in there until the placenta takes over around 12-13 wks. That's the theory anyway, this time around my body and evidently the placenta are not functioning well and so I'm still on the progesterone injections. It's been around 25 weeks on them now. I know there's got to be other women who have had to be on it through the entire pregnancy, but I haven't met or found one to compare notes with.

Good Luck!! I hope you get your sticky little bean soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search