Telling at work?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 06:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When did you tell your boss? When did you make it public knowledge at work?

I am having a hard time hiding the bump that has developed in the past few weeks but it still feels early.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

April 21st, 2010, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had to tell some people I work with right away, because I work in a lab and there's some chemicals I needed to avoid.. plus... leaving for so many doctor's appointments those first few weeks made it impossible to keep it a secret. But, I didn't tell my boss till 15 weeks. At that point, I was more than obvious, and I think she knew it anyway. I felt bad about not telling her earlier, but I was just so consumed by fear and I kept waiting. I just didn't want other people to start talking to her about it before I did.
I didn't bother telling anyone else at work. They've all looked at me funny at one point or another, or I'd get cornered in the bathroom. Eventually, they just started congratulating me without asking if I was pregnant, and commented that it's been obvious... for months. I think it's hard to hide it sometimes, and people probably already suspect it - but besides telling your boss, it's up to you whether or not you feel OK actually telling other people, or just letting them guess for a while!
*Forever missing our three butterfly angel babies*
~December 08~ ~May 09~ ~September 09~
Proudly breastfeeding, pumping, and cloth diapering my little sweet pea!

April 21st, 2010, 07:24 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Michelle,

I told my Director last week. I felt it was the right thing to do since I had to take off to see the Hematolgoist, OB x2, and the Endocrinolgist and I couldn't get them on the same days. That being said, my Director is very kind and understanding. She will keep it to herself and would be totally supportive in any situation.

I work in a fairly small, close knit firm - about 70 people and I am very social, so I am sure they will figure it out quickly, but I plan on avoiding/deny until 2nd tri (June can't get her fast enough). I don't think any of them will come right out and ask me, most have asked if we are going to start trying again. I just say (twice now) - Yes and leave it at that. They don't need to know we were all ready succesfull

Thank goodness pashmina scarves are in style - they hid all sorts of things

Kat.
April 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually told my boss right away. She is great and has supported me through 2 of my loss and the birth of my DS. She was very excited for us and very understanding about my doctors appointments.

As for telling people at work...I just let them figure it out on their own. There are 21 people in my department and word spreads pretty quick. And since I already have a bump some people have asked and I just say "we will see" and smile. They all pretty much know now though since I ran out of a meeting yesterday with my hand over my mouth...darn m/s!

April 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies.

I told my boss this morning. I knew I had to soon because I want to stop worrying every morning about what I am wearing and how much I am showing. He was shocked but very supportive. Apparently he didn't even notice that I had been at many many doctors appointments in the past couple of months. We still have 6 months to figure it out but he was fairly concerned about finding my replacement for when I am gone (in Canada we get a year of maternity leave supplemented by government benefits and I will be taking advantage of that year).

The rest of work will find out when they find out... either through the grapevine or when they figure it out on their own.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

April 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I waited until 20 weeks to tell the work crowd!! I thought more people would have noticed but no one really did...haha. I guess a lot of people are just caught up in their own lives.

2 guys (from work) who saw me working out at the gym were the first to notice actually at around 19 weeks.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

April 21st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had to tell my boss at 14 weeks because I was already showing. Some other people already knew. One of my co-workers told that she knew I was pg because of all the headaches I was having every week and having to stay home.

April 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I had to tell the ladies I worked with when I got BFP... since I couldn't be in certain rooms with patients. everything was on the quiet side.. until we found out it was twins, with HB's... and I had made it farther than I had... Than POW... it flew like wild fires!!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
April 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I told my direct manager right away since she knew that I was doing IVF (coincidentally she was also doing IVF - she's about 2 weeks ahead of me).

I will probably wait as long as possible to tell everyone else. Baby steps - I have to make it through the u/s first!
April 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I work for my family's business, so my bosses all knew immediately.

Coworkers I was close with I probably told as soon as I was showing. However, the staff I work with (in our call center) did not get the privilege of being told. None them said a single word when Ethan was stillborn. I've known many of these staff members for years and no one could stumble out a single "I'm sorry for your loss" (the rest of the company was awesome).

So I just let them figure it out on their own.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search