18 week u/s today...really need some support right now (UPDATED POST #1). (x-posted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
Hi ladies,
Today has been a very difficult day. It would have been my due date had I not miscarried in September. What got me through the sad thoughts about my 2nd baby was knowing I was going today to see my 3rd baby and feel reassured everything was ok this time. The tech was chatty, and smiling so I thought everything was going great. She told me the Doctor would come in to talk about the results before we left. I still didn't think anything was out of the ordinary. The Doc came in and kept zeroing in on the same places, heart and brain. Then, I started to worry. She said everything came back normal, except two things. The first was they saw a small cyst at the base of the brain. She said that it is fairly common but can indicate Trisomy 18. She then went on to say BUT there are so many other markers we should be seeing if it was that and we are not seeing them. So I am already in tears by now. Then, she says there is a 'bright spot' on the heart that is also fairly common but can sometimes indicate Down Syndrome. At this point, I am hardly hearing her anymore. My husband focused in more on the numbers she presented, and it sounds like both abnormalities they found are commonly found but she still has to tell us about the possibilities for our baby to have either syndrome. She went on to say my 12 week screen looked good and the numbers were not in a risk category, I am young, blah blah blah, everything is probably fine. My rational side wants to believe the numbers and that everything is fine, they are just covering their butts in the rare event either of these things would happen. But my worried neurotic side is a total mess. I have been crying since I got home. Does anyone know of any stories where either of these things came up and baby was fine? I just really need to hear some encouraging stories right now. Sorry for the long rant, it was a tough morning.

UPDATE: My wonderful OB just spent 45 minutes with me on the phone helping to put my mind at ease. I won't bore you with all the stats, but essentially she gave me some peace of mind, citing numbers for my risk for Down's and/or Trisomy. Essentially, the risk is very low. She said it was a much higher risk in terms of numbers to do an amnio to confirm or rule out these syndromes (my risk for miscarriage with an amnio is 1/200 which is much more risky than my actual risk for having either syndrome). She also wants me to have an u/s @ week 28 to check the cyst and heart spot, which she said almost always resolve by then on their own from what she has seen. I am as relieved as I can be I guess, and I am now hoping that the 28 week test will reveal good results. Thanks again for all your support! I may be able to actually get some sleep now.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

Last edited by *MomofO&Nat*; April 21st, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
April 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Regular
Yeah they told me the same think about my son, he had a cyst on his brain But they also said that they usally go away and his did. Did they tell you that? They also for this heart they were supposed to be 4 champers and they only said there was 3, with there was not. Dont go by u/s they can be so worng sometimes. try not to worrie. Im sure baby will be a heathly little bean.

Keely Marie Or Taylor daniel due dec-14-10

April 21st, 2010, 12:21 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
HUGS... You and your little bean will be in my thoughts.. HUGS When will you go back for a f/u...

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
April 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I pray to God your baby doesn't have trisomy 18, nobody should have to go through that.

April 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I am sorry you're going through this.

April 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry for the news today at the ultrasound. HUGS. I hope they take you back for another ultrasound soon to see if those spots/cysts have cleared up. In the meantime, you'll be in my thoughts. HUGS.
*Forever missing our three butterfly angel babies*
~December 08~ ~May 09~ ~September 09~
Proudly breastfeeding, pumping, and cloth diapering my little sweet pea!

April 21st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hoping's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*hugs!* I am so sorry you had a bad appointment . I would think everything is just fine. Sometimes they just see too dang much on those ultra sounds. Hang in there!

Our Two Miracles!
Alexis Jade 5/28/08 and Evan Russell 6/28/10
Always Remembering our 3 angels in heaven
April 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
The markers are not everything. Example I have a co worker who was told after an u/s that her daughter had downs. She is now a very bright perfectly healthy 11 year old.

April 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
HUGS! Sorry you are having such a rough day. I would love to tell you all sorts of great stories to cheer you up but most of the women I know only had one ultrasound and I didn't hear much about them. BUT I can tell you that during my ultrasound (albeit they were early) we were told not to put TOO much stock in the ultrasounds. While they are a great tool they are just that - a tool. They can't tell you everything and they can be wrong. I do hope they do another one in a few weeks to calm your fears. Because you 12 weeks tests came back good and these things they have "found" are common and often don't result in anything I would try and relax (however as I say that I know I would be doing the same thing you are). Are there any other tests they are going to do to give you more information?

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

April 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say I was thinking of you! I hope you get some reassuring news soon.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

April 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Michelle,
They mentioned doing an amnio if I wanted to know without a doubt, but I feel that I don't want to risk it unless they feel it is a pretty good chance the baby has one or the other. I am trying to just focus on the numbers my husband heard (since I couldn't even focus to hear them) which seemed in our favor. I think our risk of Down's from the screening at 12 weeks was 1/1200 and she said that was a good number. She also said 10-15% of all babies have the cysts and everything is fine, they resolve on their own. She also said the heart spot was common but I forget the % she said. I am going to meet with my OB next week and ask for another u/s to get a more detailed look. I hope she will agree, she is very cautious and has never refused a test to me so I am hopeful. Thanks for the kind words, everyone!!
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)

April 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't remember who it was but in the last year there was someone on this board with a similar situation who had to go for a Level 2 u/s because of "markers", which I think were cysts. Everything ended up fine with her and I hope it is the same for you! I'm sorry you had such a rough day!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
April 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My SIL was told at her u/s that it "appeared" that her baby was Down's. My niece is a perfectly normal 11 year old.
April 21st, 2010, 06:01 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I have a lot of high risk experience at this point, and you are describing a choroid plexus cyst and an echogenic focus on the heart. Both turn out to be nothing of concern a pretty high percentage of the time.

Choroid plexus cysts (CPC) are not uncommon in fetuses and usually go away on their own. They are sometimes associated with Down's Syndrome (about 1% of the time) but usually in those cases there are other markers as well (absent nasal bones, increased nuchal thickness, etc.). In fact there are a lot of researchers who think that a lot of normal, healthy adults are walking around with small CPCs.

An echogenic focus (on the heart (called an echogenic intracardiac focus) is exactly what they told you - a bright spot on the u/s. This is thought to represent mineralization, or small deposits of calcium, in the muscle of the heart. EIFs are found in about 3-5% of normal pregnancies and cause no health problems.

I have had a number of mommies come to High Risk because of these u/s findings, and so far all of them have had normal healthy babies. It is very, very scary to hear about things like this, but in all likelihood these are normal findings.

I have had some experience with scary u/s findings (okay, a lot of experience) and I have even had an amnio, so if you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Thank you so much Rebecca. It really helped to read your post. I just read it to my husband as well, and we both feel much better. I also heard back from my OB tonight and she said a lot of what you said, so I am going to try to assume my baby is healthy and stay positive about it. Thanks again!
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)

April 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I am glad your mind has been eased.

April 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ultrasound appts can be scary, but I'm glad you are feeling better. Focusing on the positive always seems to help me.

My Ovulation Chart
April 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yay - glad your doctor called and eased your mind!

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

April 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I am sorry you had so much to deal with emotionally today.
I have to agree with the ladies, that the u/s are not always 100% in their findings. So try not to worry too much...so many moms have to worry themselves sick over "bad news" that in the end is not bad at all.
we will all be keeping you and your baby in our T & P's !

I am so happy that Rebecca posted in this thread...
thank you Rebecca for sharing the info!

April 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad your doctor called and eased your mind. You and your baby will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search