Question about early u/s

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
JesSsica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last Thursday I had an u/s. I was supposed to be about 7 weeks. I had watched videos on youtube of 7 week u/s just to see what I would be able to see.

I was SO nervous that morning because my last u/s was my 12 wk u/s that ended up showing a missed miscarriage. I hated the thought of going back into that room.

The tech got started and found what looked to be a gestational sac and either another gestational sac next to it or possibly a "pocket of fluid". No baby. Nothing in it.

I know that by 7 weeks there should be a pretty prominent little thing in there with a very visible h/b. I had nothing. She said my uterus is tilted and "maybe it's too early". She called for a doctor because my normal doctor was out of the office that day.

A doctor came in and said the same exact things. One, maybe two sacs, nothing in them which either means I'm earlier than I think or I'm going to miscarry because the baby failed to form. I cried.

I asked him what my HCG was at my 6 week nurse's visit and he said that they don't routinely do HCG levels because they just create more confusion. He told me to wait a week and come back for another u/s.

Even if I was only 6 weeks instead of 7 weeks SOMETHING should have been there. Has anyone ever had an early u/s that started off looking like an empty sac and had it turn into a viable pregnancy later?

I'm bracing myself for the worst because I can't bear getting my hopes up again and being let down. I just don't have it in me....
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

^angel^ 10wks, 2 days, D&C 12wks, 3 days 11-2-09
^angel^ 5wks, 5 days 1-2-10
^angel^ 11wks, 1 day 5-22-10 with D&C
April 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry I haven't had an ultrasound that early myself. But, what kind of ultrasound did they do? I do know you have to do the vaginal ultrasound that early...if they do stomach it's not as good at detecting.

Also, I do think that 6 weeks is WAY earlier than 7 weeks in terms of what you can see. If you are actually only 6 weeks, I think it's reasonable that you might not see a HB yet. Even a few days make a huge difference at this stage. Try to stay strong and see what next week brings.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

April 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
did they do the ultrasound internally, or externally (ie vaginally, or abdominally)? If it was externally, it can be REALLY hard to pick up anything that early on... and I HAVE heard that a tilted uterus can also make it harder, to pick up a decent view early on........

((hugs)) i'm sure this must be stressful for you... I hope everything turns out to be okay

April 25th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You could be early! I really hope so! Rebecca went in and they saw 3 empty sacs and told her she was going to miscarry - and she ended up pregnant with triplets for a bit. 2 of them had problems and didn't make it - but she is still pregnant (36 + ) weeks with a healthy little boy!
So there is hope.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
April 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
After I miscarried there was a site...if I find it I'll let you know...about ALL THESE PEOPLE who were told that and the baby was fine the next week.

The reason I was so "it's over" is because I charted, I KNEW, and I O'd early so I should have been even FARTHER along!!!

My OB this time wouldn't even DO a u/s at 5 weeks 6 days (nor would the midwife) because they just might not see one and they didn't want me to freak. I only got one at 6w 2d because my numbers were SO high. They didn't want to see me EVER until 8 weeks.

After looking at that one site with the women whose babies turned out okay, I felt bad about having a D&C. But to be honest, after my u's with no heartbeat, they did the blood tests...two of them, and the baby was gone. 17,000 and then 11,000 were my numbers after the u/s.

My OB doesn't run numbers either, because ONE number won't tell you anything...but TWO WILL. Which is why I got it done when I lost my baby, because I couldn't wait 8 more days for a u/s! 5 days later I had my D&C. It was all I could take.

When they did my numbers this time at 5w 6d...and saw them so high...they didn't even TAKE more number though. They gave me a u/s. They were thinking twins or molar pregnancy. Wrong on both counts. But THAT TIME one number meant something. Usually it doesn't.

If you really want you can get two blood tests within 48 hours and they can tell you what's going on. But you're almost there. I know for me every minute is a lifetime and if I could save 30 seconds, I would.

Seeing that you tested at 7 DPO last time and 17 DPO this time...I think your dates might be off.

Now I saw my baby's h/b at 6 w 2d but she is BIG and always measured 5-8 days big. Otherwise...I think 6 weeks is still early to be able to see it!!! Even if you are a week behind you might not be seeing anything until next week. But if they can't tell next week, demand two blood tests immediately.
April 25th, 2010, 05:51 PM
My u/s was internal. That's why it was so scary to see nothing.

You're right, Angela. I could be off with my dates. I thought I O'ed at day 12ish and then we used condoms after that weekend we threw caution to the wind. A week later I told him it was stupid to waste the condoms because the damage was done but then I thought I saw EWCM at day 20. IF I didn't O until the 20th day of my cycle and IF the baby didn't implant until closer to like 12 days later (given the fact that my first test was BFN and then a week later was BFP) then I very well could still be in business.

It's just scary because even if I was only like 5 1/2 weeks instead of 7 you'd still think you'd see something. Who knows.... Thursday I'll know more.

The suspense is going to put me in the nut house!!! Here's hopin'.....
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

April 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Super Mommy
5.5wks nope. We saw a sac and the tech thought *maybe* she saw a fetal pole but wasn't sure, and it was internal. It wasn't until almost 7w that we saw a baby. And I stayed pregnant.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

April 26th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Good to know...

This is going to be the longest week ever. The good thing though is that I was having zero pregnancy symptoms and this weekend I've been sleepy, a slight bit nauseated here and there, and my bb's are so tender I can barely hug my kids. Could be a good sign...
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

April 26th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with what Liz said about the difference between 7 weeks and 6 (or even 5.5) is HUGE in terms of what can be seen. Kary went in for an early ultrasound at about the same gestation as I did... hers was "maybe" heart beats and "maybe" 2 babies doing well... mine was a definite heart beat but measuring 4 days behind. We were both around 6 weeks. So that tells me that besides that fact that you might be early that each pregnancy is so different it's hard to say for sure what you might see and what you might not. Especially with a tilted uterus.

I am also one of those people who had a friend go in for an ultrasound at 7 weeks and they saw very little... the next week they saw exactly what they should have for an 8 week pregnancy - she is now 30 weeks.

So while I completly understand being guarded, know that things could be alright.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

April 26th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
HUGS!!! I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you will see a healthy hb (or maybe 2) next week!!!! Don't give up hope yet. Many ladies have experienced the same thing and have a healthy baby in the end.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

April 26th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
Jess...

I would just sit tight and think positive... since their is so many stories.. good and bad... and everyone's story is different. HUGS

Here are some pictures from me ...... this first picture was done at about 5wks 6 days.... I thought I was closer to 6wk 2 days (according to when I thought I ovulated) She though she saw the starting of the "flicker" of each heart and this was the first u/s I had.. and was told it was twins.

We were told to come back in a week.... it was a week and 4 days later and this is them measuring 7weeks 1 day, they did see two strong HB's.

You and your little bean will be in my thoughts.... that all is well.. HUGS

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
April 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Early u/s are so unpredictable due to ovulation dates and implantation dates and those are usually pretty sketchy. I hope you get good pics this week. You having pregnancy symptoms could be a good sign. I'll be keeping you in my T&P.

My Ovulation Chart
April 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am pretty sure the site is The Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Site there are tons of stories there. I found a lot of comfort there when I was struggling with losses and with issues with Matthew's pregnancy.

About your u/s.... I am not going to lie, if it was me I would be preparing for the worst, but praying for a miracle. It DOES happen where dates are off or with a tilted uterus that you can go back a week later and be measuring perfect. You could have Oed a few days late and implanted on the later end of normal and that in itself would throw the dates off. Soooo much can happen in a normal pregnancy that isn't textbook perfect. I really really hope the week flies by for you and you come back with awesome news <everything crossed>

Lots of prayers coming your way!

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you either Oed later than you think or it was a late implanter. I hope you get to see a strong heartbeat next week! You are in my thoughts and prayers

April 29th, 2010, 05:35 AM
trusting and believing
thinking of you today and have been praying for you since I saw your first post about the u/s

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search