Measuring small on U/S

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2010, 06:31 AM
Hi ladies. I am 7 weeks 5 days pregnant. I went for an u/s and the tech said the baby was only measuring 6 weeks 4 days gestation. I know exactly when I ovulated because I was using a combination of OPK and BBT. I have a really late Ovulation day (day 19) with an 11 day luteal phase. I don't know if that matters but I thought I would give any info. I can. Additionally, I have had some very light brown spotting for about a week now. It is not alot, only a drop here and there. Finally, I don't have any nausea which is very odd because I was green with my first three pregnancies. I am very worried that all these factors combined indicate an early miscarriage. I am seeing the doctor again in a week to recheck the baby but in the meantime, I am extremely anxious and nervous. I lost my third son to SIDS last Oct. and just pulled up the courage to try for another baby. I would be so upset if I had to lose another baby. Anyone else have a similar experience where they measured small at a very early ultrasound? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Michelle
May 1st, 2010, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Very early ultrasounds are not that reliable in measuring size. There are many factors that would make you measure a week behind even though the baby is completely fine. My first ultrasound was at 7 weeks but i measured half a week behind. By my next ultrasound (10 weeks) I was measuring a day ahead. My ultrasound tech told me that early ultrasounds are great for checking viability (heart beats, etc) but not so great for measuring the size.

The spotting can be normal - especially if it is mostly brown blood.

I hope things work out for you and your baby. You have been through so much. You are strong and courageous and will get through this too! No matter what the results happen to be.

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

May 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was told from from high risk doctor that early in pregnancy they can be off up to a week. YOU might be the lucky one of no morning sickness. I have 4 kids and never had morning sickness. I might get nausead once in a while but that is it.. I rarely have any pregnancy symptoms at all..Kaetlin measured about 5 days behind and now she is 9 months old.. Keep the faith. I will be thinking of you.
May 1st, 2010, 08:41 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
early u/s arent' super accurate, they commonly size baby a week give or take either way and can change between u/s weekly.
May 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
trusting and believing
I commonly hear ladies say that maybe your baby implanted toward the later end of the implantation window.

sending you baby blessings and peace for your pregnancy and beyond...

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
May 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
Thank you ladies. I feel better already. I have a doctors apt. next week to see what is going on with the baby. I will keep you posted. God Bless. Michelle
May 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
as has been said, there are def. a lot of factors, as to why you could be measuring a little small on an early u/s... I think the most common one is that even if you ovulated on a specific day, you could have implanted late - which can put your dates off by 2-4 (or more) days - and with u/s they can be a few days of, so if you take both of those into consideration, it can be quite normal to measure small!

also, did they do an abdominal u/s, or an internal/vaginal u/s?? If they did an abdominal, it can be a LOT harder, to get accurate measurements

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search