Grant is home! Also some bottle and diaper questions. (xposted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Grant is home! The dog is shocked and confused! I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!! (Also nervous.)

It took 2.5 hours extra to leave the NICU because the hospital pharmacy kept labeling his reflux meds wrong. See the NICU rarely just releases patients - the babies are still pretty sick and go to stepdown units at other hospitals (go Grant for being so normal they released him!). So the pharmacy is used to dosing for toddlers, not newborns. And that's what they did for Grant. THREE TIMES. This is Johns ******* Hopkins Hospital. Apparently they can reassign your gender but not use a labelmaker.

Any recommendations on small very low flow nipples? We tried Playtex drop-ins today and Grant HATED them (I would too if I were him). He did better with the cheap *** babies r us brand bottles, but this kid is a champion eater and I'm hoping for something more durable than these look.

Also, is there any way to make diaper changes less traumatic? We use a friend's old wipe warmer, which is a small improvement. But being a first time mom I hate how upset changes make him, and he's hard to settle afterwards.

And here we are coming home!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advise on the bottles or diapers but I wanted to tell you again how happy i am for you!!! I am so excited that Grant is home with you now!!!!

May 13th, 2010, 07:37 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when you do the daiper change - hold his his hands and arms on his chest with you hand...it gives them that swaddle/ being held feeling. DS needed that too for awhile! Dr browns have some great nipples and you can use them with cheaper bottles if you want too.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 13th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Boble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
nawww he is so gorgeous.

i dont have much advice re the changes and bottles. but just wanted to say how gorgeous your little man is!

Thank you kiliki for my gorgeous siggy!
May 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First, I want to say how happy I am for you. He is sooo gorgeous! You must melt every time you look at that little prince~

Now, about bottles. Use the ones that he likes and search for a more durable looking bottle and nipple that resemble the ones that you aren't so sure of...or just use them, knowing that he'll take 'em. (He's kind of in charge right now... Give him what he'll take.)

Changing is a tough thing. It's so hard to see them get upset. As he gets older, it WILL get better. I always warmed the wipe in my hands while I talked to my sons, before I took the diaper off and then I quickly got the diaper off, cleaned them off, and shoved the new one on. The quicker you are, the shorter time period they have to get overly upset. They adjusted pretty quickly and did well after the first week or two.

Good luck. I may not have advice, but, in all honesty you may not need advice. You're doing awesome, and little guy just needs some time to adjust to the big world that he just entered. I hope that makes sense.

Keep posting more pics...he's goreous. Oh, I said that already.

May 14th, 2010, 02:46 AM
baby4me?'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!!! How wonderful that your little one is home with you now!

As for bottles... we always used Dr. Brown's. DD never had any issues with the nipples. I don't have any advice about diaper changes.

Amanda & Rob married June 16, 2006

May 14th, 2010, 07:23 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
Congrats honey! I am so happy for you. I agree on the Dr Brown's bottles. They are great and have small nipples.

May 14th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Hon!!!!! He's home!!!!! I am so happy, so happy for you.
I don't have any suggestion on the bottles because I BF, and I use the bottles that come with the pump.
About the diaper change. They are upset because it's something new, he will get use to diaper changes, make sure the room is comfortable (temp wise), talk to him, holding his arms on his chest is a good idea. I know they say it gets better, but my experience is that it gets worse when they are older because they don';t want to stay still, so it takes 2 people to change one stinky diaper

May 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY for Grant being home!!! I am so happy for all three of you!

I would use the bottles that Grant likes best. Sometimes the cheepies work better than you would think. and as far as the diapering goes - gently talk to him as you change his diaper, or sing to him. It will get better as time goes on, until like patty said he is big enough to squirm away from you, then it's a whole new set of problems! LOL!
May 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY Grant I am so glad he is home and doing well...poor dog though

I am no help on the bottles since my kids like the playtex ones. But if the cheapies work go for it!

As for diaper changes you can try swaddling him on top and just leaving his little bottom naked. Maybe he just does not like the feeling of being all open.

Or what I did with my kids is make diaper changes massage time. I would rub their little legs and they would stretch all out and I would just talk with them real soft. Then I would take off the diaper and change it realy fast and then go back to the rubbing of the legs and tummy and arms. Try doing a search of baby massage for some tips.

May 14th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is so handsome. Congratulations on bringing him home. As for bottles with slow flow, we used Avent for all ours so far and will try them with Sarah. All the other ladies gave good diapering advice. I was going to say wipes warmer,but you already have that. Just give it some time. He will get the hang of it.

My Ovulation Chart
May 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advice, but wanted to say how happy I am for you that Grant is home!
May 14th, 2010, 07:20 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
So I went out today and bought Dr. Browns preemie nipples and Evenflo nipples. I also special ordered a 48 count box of the Similac ready to feed nipple he had in the hospital. And we switched back from generic formula to Similac, what they used at the hospital. It helped that I had a free can of powdered, a free 24 oz bottle of RTF, and a bunch of coupons.

He took about 2oz per feeding, which is not what we are used to but well over his required 1.5oz.

I'm such a nervous parent.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 14th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
Oh Rebecca!!! I so happy for you that Grant got to come home!!!!! YEA!!!! He is such a cutie!!!!!!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
May 15th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on bringing Grant home!!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
May 15th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome home, Grant!

Don't have much time, but wanted to say that when I started using bottles, it was after she had tried bf for several days and it turned out that I was pretty much dry (never really produced more than a few cc's of milk). So, in those couple of days, she had developed some VERY STRONG sucking skills. I tried many bottles, but most she would choke on because the flow came out too quickly. I finally found the playtex ventair bottles and nipples and they did the trick. (Had horrible reviews because most mommies said they weren't slow flow, but NO flow. When you get a multipack, you have to look at the nipples carefully --- they come with a mixture of slow and fast flow nipples, so you have to make sure you have the ones you want. (I hid the fast ones away in a ziplock for later as to not get confused in the middle of the night).

I hope you can find some nipples that work well for little Grant!

May 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You will be surprised how well the cheap nipples hold up, the boys loved cheap bottles, they chewed on them and they held up.

As for diapering what I did with the boys was have a clean diaper under them so as soon as the old one was open and off it would take 5 seconds to cover up. Norah loves diaper changes.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

May 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I am so happy Grant is home !!
finding the right bottle/nipple combo can be exhausting for new moms !
Katie did great w/ Playtex slow flows with the drop in system....but we did use a few cheaper ones at times...Gerber makes a great bpa free bottle w/ slow nipple...and they are so inexpensive ! I had mixed feeling about Dr. Brown's so we did not try them.
best of luck to you mama !!!!!!!!
Welcome Home Grant !!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search