We're Home with out rainbow baby! x posted

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will right out the whole birth story soon (when I'm not typing an nursing!) But here is a run down of the last week!

Labour was really good and amazing - and hard! Anabela Grace was born at 5:05 am on May 16th 2010 at home in bed! She weighed 7lb 6oz, and is 20 inches long. Labour started around 10pm on Friday and then I got a break most of Saturday day. Labour came again Saturday night around 6pm and she was born Sunday morning after only 13 minutes of pushing - head shoulders and body all in one push!! I tore slightly but didn't need stitches - and I still haven't even taken a tylenol

She started having trouble breathing about 2 hours after birth and ended up having a pulmonary hemorrhage (bleeding in the lungs) No one is really sure why - the best guess is that she came out so fast that her lungs didn't get compressed - so there was still fluid in them (they were suctioned). and had to be in the NICU for 6 days Level 3 for 4 days and then level one for 2. That was truly the hard part. I was very lucky - the nicu here is very family and breast feeding friendly so I always could be with her, touch her - and hold and breast feed her once she was off the breathing tube. The hardest was being called to nurse on demand when I was staying in a separate building - so I was only getting an hour or 2 of sleep - when I was lucky. (though I am so grateful the hospital provides a free place for moms to stay to do that!) The last 2 nurses she had we so great - they really helped me breast feed and let me basically sleep in the ward with her to get her to eat enough (she had to eat 53 mils every three hours!) I also loved the lactation consultant who got the doctors to turn off her TPN IV and take out her feeding tube so she was actually hungry when I tried to breast feed!

I'm also really grateful I had a home birth with midwives. They were still with me 2 hours after deliver and immediately started oxygen and called the ambulance when she began to have problems. They stayed with us for most of the first day and came back to the NICU to help me breast feed. I had no drugs - which I'm truly amaze any of you do at a hospital - so I was well enough to immediately get up and go with Anabela to the hospital and it also meant there was nothing in her system affecting her at birth. She also got to cuddle and nurse a little in those first two hour - which I think helped her once she was allowed to nurse at the hospital. (that was stressful! it's one thing to learn how to nurse but another with a baby covered in monitors, a feeding tube, an IV, a bunch of people around and having the baby weighed before and after to see if your nursing enough to be allowed to stay in a room together or go home! - no pressure at all!!!)

So 6 days later she was off all the IVs breathing help and was nursing enough to come home. They discharged her - I went and called my DH and my mom, went to the washroom, and went back to the NICU to get her - and whoosh! A big gush off blood - I soaked through my pad my pants and dripped on the floor - so I had to go to emergency! Luckely the nurse who was taking care of her was kind enough to keep her until my DH and friend were able to get to me and her. Long story short - they have no idea why I bled like that - I think it's because I had only spotting post partum - I think I held it all in until I knew she was ok.

The first night home I was completely terrified. I didn't know if I was ok (they had to do the u/s the next day) and I was so scared to take care of her with no monitors or nurses to help me. I ended up setting my alarm to go off every 2 hours so I could check to make sure we were both still alive. After about half the night I started to actually sleep. Last night was our second night home and I finally really slept. Still in short spurts since she likes to nurse so much but we are starting to feel human again.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
May 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad to hear you are home and settling in. Congratulations on your home birth and your sweet baby girl. I'm sorry she ended up having complications (and you too), but it sounds like your midwives were terrific and took great care of her. I'm also really impressed by the care you got at the NICU. I don't have NICU experience, but from what I've read I think your experience was unique. Now you can come join us in PAL playroom!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
May 25th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyanne View Post
. Now you can come join us in PAL playroom!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This goes also for all of you that had your babies, come and join us.

Congrats on your baby girl, you need to post some pictures. Glad to hear that you are settling in, and sleeping a bit It seems like BF is going well, congrats on that I know it's not easy.
Sorry she ended up in the NICU, like Kelly I'm impress about the care she received, I also have no experience but have heard not good things for the most part.

May 25th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Congrats on your little girl!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

May 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Magicaledelishus's Avatar Mommy to Orion
Awww I'm glad she's home now and doing well; congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search