Triple test? (x-posted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2010, 06:07 AM
Natalie_Snow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor told me yesterday that DH and i need to decide if we want to have a Triple test between 14 and 18 weeks. But he also warned that results can be scary while everything could be still ok....If results are elevated, then you can choose to have amniocentesis which can cause a m/c. He said that since I'd keep a Down baby anyway, that I maybe i shouldn't even worry about that test and don't do it at all. He did not mention anything about the Trisomy 18.

My doctor told me that I have to make a decision by the time of my next appointment. I have no clue about this... we don't have any history of Down's or trisomy... but DH does have something a little bit wrong with his joints due to genetic mutation.

are you going to have a triple test? what are your thoughts about it?
June 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Natalie! I had the Triple test when I was PG with Cecil. It is a simple blood Test, but your Dr. was correct - sometimes the results can be mis-leading. I had inquired about the benifits of this test also, and was told that for some areas (like spinal issues) there can be help to a baby in utero. It can also help for afterbirth care of a special needs baby. The test can be very expensive, so you may want to check with your insurance carrier to make sure they will cover the test.
June 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had the test done with all 3 of my kids. And feel good about doing it. It is a simple blood draw on ME and it does give an insight to how the baby is developing.

When I was pg with my DD (1st born) I was very torn about having this test done as we are pro-life would continue a pregnancy regarless of the out come. But my OB put things in perpestive for me. If the results came back positive we would have pleanty of time to prepare ourselves and our home for a child with special needs. That was really my light bulb moment. I could take a simple blood test to prepare our home for our child to give her the best possible start in the world.

BTW our results did come back positive (elevated potential risk) with DD. I was given an u/s to check for possible markers. DD had none of them and was born happy and healthy and will be turning 5 on June 13th and starting Kintergarten this fall. She is smart as a whip and has NO problems. True false positive.

So while false positive can happen there are other non-invasive ways to follow up with the test results.

Good luck hun! All these tests can be overwhelming.

June 2nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey girl! I am doing the triple screen in conjuction with an NT Scan, which is standard practice for my Ob. We most likely will not opt for additional testing (amnio or CVS)

Kat.
June 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I personally didn't do the test, DH and I felt that it wasn't necessary for us. My midwife also informed me that it wasn't covered on my insurance.

June 2nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I had the quad screen test...and that was it....everything was fine, so my dr. never even mentioned an amnio....which I would not have had anyway.

it is important to remember many tests can give misleading results....
best of luck with whatever you decided to do !

June 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I decided to have both the NT scan and the bloodwork. It is a non-invasive test that does have a HIGH false Positive. But along with the U/S.. and the NT ultrasound along with the Blood tests.. it can give you a good idea. And I know I would have kicked my self if I didn't have the blood work done since I do have a soft maker on the u/s... so I am glad I will have the Blood work.. (even though with twins.. blood work is almost always a false Postive)

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search