Important Question

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Prudence's Avatar Super Mommy
I am just about 19 weeks now and starting Saturday night I have had some tightening. It has happened 3 times, my uterus starts to feel tight then in a bit relaxes some.
I am not sure if it is normal or not. I can not remember it happening in my first pregnancy. I do remember very well it happened in my second pregnancy about the same time.. and that resulted in the loss of my baby. I am not sure if it is a sign the same thing is happening to my baby again. I have a Drs. appointment this thursday and I will bring it up then, but for now I am starting to wonder if this pregnancy is going to end the same. After I found out the baby had died I realized they might have been contractions or something.

I am also concerned, I am still not really showing this is my 3rd pregnancy in 3 years. first went 9 months, second went 23 weeks, this one still can fit in regular cloths. Last year at this time I was in maternity.

So for you Mom's out there do you remember feeling your uterus tighten up at this point in your pregnancy?
Thankyou
May 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
soontobemommyto3
could be braxton hicks contractions, especially if they are painless and just a tightening. I get them and I hate them because I'm always afraid they will turn into real ones or something. I had a ton of them with my son. My dr told me that if I got more than 4 in a hour to go to Labor and delivery. Even if they were just braxton hicks and not painful.

When I lost my baby, I started having real contractions which is what sent me to the DR. I could tell they were different than braxton hicks because they started in my back and worked around to the front. They also felt like someone was pushing on my uterus from the top where braxton hicks have always felt just like my stomach getting hard.

Always good to tell your DR though. If they come back and are bothersome give him a call. Better safe than sorry.

As for showing, I don't know what to tell you. Again check with your DR. You probably are just carrying small. I saw a lady recently who was a week from her due date and only looked 5 months pregnant to me. You can carry babies differently too. Some carry high others low. I think when you carry low you don't show as much.
May 9th, 2006, 07:05 AM
hopin4a4rth
It sounds like Braxton Hicks to me too... and they are normal even at 19 weeks. Mention them to your Dr next time you are there though.
May 9th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Ethans_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like Braxton Hicks and I get them often too. Braxton Hicks actually put me into labor at 29 weeks with Ethan- I thought they were no big deal since they werent painful, but they were making me dialate and I had bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy from that point. Check with your dr to make sure its fine.
Also, I am almost 25 weeks and still wearing my normal clothes. With Ethan, I didnt get that big, but I know I was showing by now. This will be my 3rd pregnancy in 3 years too, however the 2nd only went 11 weeks. I am carrying low, but even then I can still zip up and button my regular jeans, so even where all the extra weight is going isnt making it obvious that I am pregnant. If I wear a maternity top and push my belly out a little, I have a pregnant stomach, but there are people I see every week who still have no idea I am 6 months pregnant.

<div align='center'> </div>
</div>
May 10th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I have to agree with the other ladies...sounds like BH's to me. I had my first BH this pregnancy around 15 wks....it scared the heck out of me since my last m/c was when I was about 16 wks along. The difference was that I had real contractions....low cramping like menustral cramps. BH's were higher up on the abdomen and was more like an annoying tightening of the stomach. Just keep an eye on them ....they should stop or change when you do something like move around or drink water.

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search