Our baby is here - were team green... now team... (x-posted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2010, 09:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
BLUE!

First of all thank you Kary for updating that our baby arrived happy and healthy and secondly sorry it has taken so long to update!

Connor arrived via c-section on October 17 at 6:43pm. As Kary mentioned he weighed 10 lbs 8 oz! And was also 21 inches long. So by all measurements a BIG baby. But we are both home, happy and healthy.

I will try and find time to do a proper birth story but here is the coles notes version.

Because we were prepared for such a big baby we had decided we would induce after 39 weeks and see what happened. If I was able to deliver vaginally we would go that route but would not have any intervention (forecepts, vacuum, etc) unless I needed a c-section. So on Friday we started with cervadil to try and get my cervix softened and dilated a little. It did not have a huge affect so Saturday we did another cervadil. I went back to the hospital on Sunday morning expecting to hear much the same - another cervadil but instead the doctor told me I was 3cm dilated and we could start with oxytocin. So we were admitted and the induction started. The induction actually worked very well at bringing on labour. We started having very good, very regular contractions. My nurse kept telling me this was the exact kind of labour you want to have to dilate.

About 5-6 hours after starting the IV induction the doctors (3 of them) came back to check on my progress. I was confident I would have made reasonable progress based on what my nurse kept telling me but when the doctor checked I had made NO PROGRESS at all. I was still 3cm and baby was not moving down (-2 station). So we were faced with a decision. Keep labouring with oxytocin (at this point it has been turned almost off because the labour was actually coming too hard and fast) and check again in a specified time or decide that we had given it a try and go with the c-section.

C-section was never my ideal way to deliver but DH and I had to make the decision that was best for getting Connor here safely. It was by no means an easy decision but we decided to go with the section rather than continue to labour and hope for some progress. So we were off to the OR. The wait to get to the OR was excruciating - it seemed like FOREVER. But in reality it was not that long.

Delivery seemed to go smoothly except that when they had delivered Connor's head they realized the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck (just once thankfully) and then they delivered his body. Between the cord being around his neck and the size of his shoulders it was pretty evident we had made the right choice with the c-section. My recovery was a bit hampered by some excess blood loss during the c-section but eventually we were allowed to head to my post partum room.

So far recovery has not been bad - I was up and moving around a little just 6 hours after my c-section. We were released from the hospital on Tuesday morning and have been adjusting to life at home with a newborn.

Pictures can be seen below!
Connor | Facebook

Thanks Chelsea (GraysMama) for my fantastic signature!

Life as it is...

Love your angel babies for making you the person you are!

October 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a beautiful big boy! I am so happy for you, congrats!!!
October 22nd, 2010, 12:25 AM
Natalie_Snow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congratualtions!!! I am so happy for you!!!
October 22nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
awww he's gorgeous Michelle!!!! congrats mama...as someone else who was also induced (for a big baby who turned out she wasn't) and stuck at 3cm w/o progress for like 12 hours I can totally sympathize with the decision you had to make on the section...all that matters is that your little guy is here safe & sound. I hope you have a very speedy recovery and enjoy every new moment with Connor!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
October 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I'm so glad to hear you got your big boy out safely and are recovering well yourself!!! I agree with the other ladies, I know that sometimes we want something natural and ideal, but in the grand scheme a c-section is fine too - the important thing is that mommy and baby are healthy and happy - nothing else really matters!!!!

October 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad that he's here safe and sound. He's gorgeous.
October 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a chunk! Love him. Congrats!!!

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
October 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He is so adorable! Congrats!

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

October 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Libby22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congratualtions hes so cute.

af came oct 22 wed nz time
October 23rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wrote this on your blog already, but one congrats isn't enough ! I'm so happy for you!
*Forever missing our three butterfly angel babies*
~December 08~ ~May 09~ ~September 09~
Proudly breastfeeding, pumping, and cloth diapering my little sweet pea!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search