Log In Sign Up

My dilemma: can't decide what to do


Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
November 20th, 2010, 11:39 AM
LisaG825's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,379
I just want to apologize in advance for the long message.

I have been really worried about having another partial molar pregnancy. My obgyn isn't doing another u/s until 20w.

I just spoke with the receptionist at my genetics counselor office. I saw him in February and he was the one that found out that I had retained tissue from my m/c (partial molar pregnancy). The receptionist talked to the gc and he said to have my dr. office send the information over and he will be able to do an u/s. He said at this point we should be able to tell if it is partial molar or not. I think he may also be a high risk dr. too. The receptionist said they are considered high risk and my obgyn isn't so they will be able to do a level II u/s. She said it should more than likely be covered under my insurance since they will be checking for another molar. Now I just need to get my obgyn to refer me back to them for the u/s.

I also spoke with the receptionist at my oncologist's office. She is going to have the oncologist call me back. I told her my dr. office wasn't doing another u/s until 20w and it worries me that they aren't doing more u/s to check for molar. Especially since it took me so long to reach negative and I had trouble with the chemo. Receptionist agreed with me that she was surprised they aren't doing more.

I spoke with my oncologist. She said she is not comfortable with me waiting til 20 weeks for another u/s. She said that I really need one between 14-16 weeks to check the placenta.

She said that I could go to the high risk office at Washington University Hospital in St. Louis. Pretty much located at the same place she is. I think the same wing of the hospital and everything. I could be seen there the whole time or until viability day and then they could turn the care back over to my obgyn that I have now. She also said that I should not be getting the regular prenatal care. I should be at a higher risk than a normal pregnancy. My obgyn is treating it pretty much like a normal pregnancy. She also stated that she is comfortable with me being seen by my genetics counselor and the high risk office at the hospital where he works. I guess he used to work at Washington University

If I decide to go with and stay with the high risk office at Washington University, I would have to deliver there. That is 2 hours away from where I live and 3 hours from where I work. I may be done with work for the summer by the time I deliver, but I could also go early.

The genetics counselor is a little closer, but not much. I am pretty sure I wouldn't deliver there. I think he would just do a level II u/s.

Any opinions? What would you ladies do?

I think I would feel comfortable letting my obgyn that I have right now deliver. I just don't feel comfortable with the care that I am getting right now. Once I reach viability day, I am pretty sure there is no chance that I could have a partial molar. Usually they don't make it past the first trimester, but some have made it to 19weeks.
__________________







Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Gabriel Matthew- Induced @15w4d on 12/16/09 (Partial Molar Pregnancy). Took 6 1/2 months reach negative after 3 methotrexate injections, D&C 2/19/10, & 6 rounds of chemo Act-d.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db5ff
Mommy loves you!


url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
"Now I lay you down to sleep,
I pray the Lord your soul to keep;
Within his arms he'll hold you tight,
My Heavenly Angel, My Guiding Light."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
November 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 43,573
So the question is whether or not you go just until viability day or for the entire pregnancy? Do you have to decide how long you'll stay with them now, or can you go to them for the next few weeks and then decide what you want to do? 2 hours away can be a big deal but sometimes it's not. My best friend goes can go from contractions 10 minutes apart to delivery in 3 hours flat (has with all 3 of her babies), but for a normal labor, 2 hours wouldn't mean missing delivery. But driving in that state is VERY uncomfortable and it would be a total pita if you got there and weren't in real labor.

I think you should definitely go to them at least until viability though.
__________________
Thanks to babydoll213 for the siggy! My kids' blog Cora's blog


Reply With Quote
  #3  
November 20th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,281
Is there not a perinatalologist (high risk Dr, also known as a Maternal fetal Specialist) closer to you? Generally every hospital has one affiliated with them.... Check to see. Otherwise just go to the far away one until they confirm that your pregnancy is fine and go to a normal OB (I wouldn't stick with the one you've got, he seems rude) because you won't be considered high risk anymore...

Wouldn't they be able to tell if it was partial molar with one ultrasound? Why would you need to wait until 24 weeks? Why are you concerned about another? Only because you have had one already (Which I understand) or because you are experiencing symptoms?
__________________
Thanks to Vicki... for my siggy!


Reply With Quote
  #4  
November 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM
LisaG825's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargatemommy View Post
Is there not a perinatalologist (high risk Dr, also known as a Maternal fetal Specialist) closer to you? Generally every hospital has one affiliated with them.... Check to see. Otherwise just go to the far away one until they confirm that your pregnancy is fine and go to a normal OB (I wouldn't stick with the one you've got, he seems rude) because you won't be considered high risk anymore...

Wouldn't they be able to tell if it was partial molar with one ultrasound? Why would you need to wait until 24 weeks? Why are you concerned about another? Only because you have had one already (Which I understand) or because you are experiencing symptoms?
My hcg was a little higher than normal. I compared it to my last pregnancy and it is pretty consistent. I have had spotting with both pregnancies. Severe m/s. My chances are greater at having another molar with any pregnancy after the first molar. I got pg before the recommended wait time (not sure if that really makes a difference).

There could be a high risk dr. close to me, but I already feel like the other two places know my history and what I have gone through. I don't know how many molar cases the high risk drs. close to me have dealt with either. I am not sure why she said 24 weeks. Maybe she has had someone that was diagnosed with a molar that late. I know someone diagnosed at 19w with a partial molar. You would think they would be able to tell by one u/s, but my obgyn couldn't tell with my last pregnancy. I had 4 u/s then: 6w, 8w, 12w, 13w.
__________________







Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Gabriel Matthew- Induced @15w4d on 12/16/09 (Partial Molar Pregnancy). Took 6 1/2 months reach negative after 3 methotrexate injections, D&C 2/19/10, & 6 rounds of chemo Act-d.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db5ff
Mommy loves you!


url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
"Now I lay you down to sleep,
I pray the Lord your soul to keep;
Within his arms he'll hold you tight,
My Heavenly Angel, My Guiding Light."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
November 21st, 2010, 12:05 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,472
Personally, I'd go to the high risk doctor until it's confirmed everything is ok, and then go back. There shouldn't be a problem actually going to both. I was seeing a regular OB and a perinatologist through my first pregnancy. The care before delivery is what you should be concerned about. When you deliver, it may or may not be YOUR doctor that is there. Only twice did my doctor actually deliver me. If your OB isn't showing enough concern, then you should change.
__________________


To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
Reply With Quote
  #6  
November 21st, 2010, 06:01 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,743
Lisa,

Considering your history, I would say go to your oncologist and the high risk doctor in that hospital. You need specialized care, at least until it is confirmed that this is not a PMP. Is this the same OB you had with your PMP? If it is, I wouldn't trust her care at this point, only because she has proven she is clueless about molar pregnancy.

This is just my two cents and in the end you have to do what you are most comfortable.

Kat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
November 23rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
LisaG825's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
Lisa,

Considering your history, I would say go to your oncologist and the high risk doctor in that hospital. You need specialized care, at least until it is confirmed that this is not a PMP. Is this the same OB you had with your PMP? If it is, I wouldn't trust her care at this point, only because she has proven she is clueless about molar pregnancy.

This is just my two cents and in the end you have to do what you are most comfortable.

Kat.
I am beginning to NOT trust my ob. It is the same dr. that I had with my pmp. I called them to let them know what the oncologist suggested. The nurse said they won't do a referral b/c she doesn't even understand why they want the u/s. WTH??? That about made me lose it. I am definitely considering switching now.

I called one group of ob's today and they have only have 1 in the last 10 years and prior to that about 3. YIKES!!! Not sure they will know what they are doing either. The other place I called the nurse said they have had molar pregnancies, but she isn't sure how many. Not reassuring. I am losing hope.
__________________







Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Gabriel Matthew- Induced @15w4d on 12/16/09 (Partial Molar Pregnancy). Took 6 1/2 months reach negative after 3 methotrexate injections, D&C 2/19/10, & 6 rounds of chemo Act-d.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db5ff
Mommy loves you!


url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
"Now I lay you down to sleep,
I pray the Lord your soul to keep;
Within his arms he'll hold you tight,
My Heavenly Angel, My Guiding Light."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
November 23rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,960
If I were in your situation, I think my first order of business would be changing OBs...even if you have to change to someone who doesn't know much about PMP, at least you'll have a clean slate. Sounds like your current office isn't even trying to work with you at all....won't refer you?? Seriously?? Then get the new OB to refer you to the specialist until viability or until the specialists are certain its not PMP. I think your instincts are right to err on the side of caution on this one. I'm so sorry you have to go through all this hassle and I hope all of this extra caution doesn't matter one bit in the long run and you have a healthy little one.....but I think you are wise to be careful.
__________________
Kelly




3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
Reply With Quote
  #9  
November 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 118
First off, I am so sorry you've had to experience all this. I don't know much about molar pregnancies.

Second, I agree with others here. I understand you don't have have many options if any, but I would find a new OB asap. I really hope you are able to find someone who is willing to work as a "team" with your oncologist. With your history you really do need care that is going to be continuous between providers. You have a delicate situation and need providers who understand this and get your anxiety. I really hope you're able to find an OB who works out.
__________________
Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0