When should I go to the doctors?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't want to get beta's done... I just want to enjoy this time and not worry about going to the RE's office, getting blood drawn, waiting for results, ect... I have progesterone left over from last time (with 2 refills) and taking it so I am all set there and I do not want to call the doctor yet because I know they will talk me into going.

So when do you think they can see through Ultrasound if everything is ok or not?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

December 29th, 2010, 01:30 PM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
It all depends on the Dr.

I went early, just over 5 weeks, but that was to my RE and all we saw was a yolk sac. I went back again at almost 7 weeks and we saw a h/b. I didn't go to my OBGYN till over 7 weeks. The receptionist wouldn't schedule my appt any earlier and she said it was also to make sure they could see everything. I had to call early though, I was one day late for AF when I called because my Dr.'s office is very busy and I wanted to make sure I got in at a good time.

December 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
dreamer10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say 6 weeks. That's the best time to go in to start on those ultrasounds, in my opinion. Before then you can't really see much, but many times, although not all, you can see a heartbeat by 6 weeks. I have an ultrasound next wed and I will be 6w2d....

Our rainbow baby Brynlee Sue was born August 17th after four heartbreaking loses! Life is an amazing journey. Hang on, keep your faith and try to always move forward!
December 29th, 2010, 01:57 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
yay congrats Missy!!! I missed your got a BFP for christmas!

Personally, I fall into the go even later group...after 8 weeks, which will also get you a good assessment of the hb. If not going will worry you more, then 6-7 weeks should also give you ok initial u/s result...I've just seen too many ladies get a wonky u/s result around 6 weeks only to eventually find out everything is fine...i just think the really early u/s aren't that accurate, esp. if your dates are off even slightly, and then just worry you needlessly until the next u/s.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
December 29th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I agree with Lara. From what I read the heart only just starts beating at around 6 weeks and can start out slowly before it speeds up. I've never gone any earlier than 7 weeks for that reason. It'd be a good thing to call and talk over with your doctor at least.

December 29th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't go until 8 weeks. You should be able to see a heartbeat at 7 weeks - but you can't always. By 8 weeks - you will see it. So I'd wait (and I did wait ) till then.
(((hugs)))) and congrats!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
December 29th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Celena's Avatar Proud JM hostess
Send a message via ICQ to Celena Send a message via MSN to Celena Send a message via Yahoo to Celena Send a message via Skype™ to Celena
I'm no good in this dept. since I'm going next week thursday for an u/s and 1st appt @ 6wks 3ds. I think 6+ weeks is perfect tho because at least this way you should be able to see the widdle heart starting to beat. Before then it's the yolk sac/ fetal pole.

It doesn't hurt to call and schedule your appt now for a couple weeks and a couple days away... or further if you prefer

December 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks! I will call them in a few weeks. I can usually get in for an appointment with a days notice as long as I don't need to see the RE (which I don't!)

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

December 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((hugs)) Missy and congratulations on your bfp
I had three betas done one week apart, and I don't have an u/s until 9 weeks--that's about as much stress as I can handle
Praying for you

Lucky mother to five!

December 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM
mommabirdof4
I would think anytime after 6 weeks would be good.

We saw two small heartbeats at 5 weeks and 6 days....we were not able to measure them or hear them...they had just started. After that I went in every 2 weeks for 2 more scans.
December 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Missy - I was going to suggest between the 7-8 week mark, especially since you know your O date. I am so excited for you and all the girls over at TTCAL.

Kat.
December 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone! Kary brought up a good point, that I should go in and just make sure that they do not want to put me on anything else.

I agreed with her since I am almost 42! So I have an appointment Monday morning. When I called to make the appointment the nurses all got on the phone and were all excited!

December 30th, 2010, 01:26 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I went in as soon as I could but didn't get an u/s. It was just for lab work and to check and make sure everything else was going well. I didn't get an u/s until 6 weeks when we saw the heart. Good luck at your appt. I'm so excited for you!

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
December 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
When I called to make the appointment the nurses all got on the phone and were all excited!
That's awesome! There was one particular nurse at my last practice before we moved who was like that. She was in the room when they confirmed Cora didn't have a heartbeat, and I think she went in because she'd had a late 2nd tri loss and wanted to be there. Anyway, when I went in for a pregnancy test with Erin she started crying and laughing at the same time. I loved her and was sad to be moving away from her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search