I am scared to get betas done

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am scared to go and get betas done at my RE's office. I just cant bring myself to pick up the phone and call. Am I nuts?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 17th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You are not nuts. You don't have to get betas done. Don't be afraid to just let it go for awhile... the only thing that would really require immediate medical attention is an ectopic, and you know what those symptoms are. If you aren't having any... there's no harm in just waiting it out.

I don't think I am alone among the PAL ladies, when I say that I harbor some strong sentiments against getting early betas.... they can just REALLY stress you out, generally without giving any definite information. I would totally support you if you decided not to get them at all.

March 17th, 2011, 10:09 AM
mom2moose
I agree about letting it go, if it makes it easier. There's no actual reason you HAVE to do it. Sometimes those stupid betas cause more anxiety than not getting them done.

For me, it's the u/s's that freak me out. When I had my missed m/c last March, I found out when I went in for my first u/s at 10 weeks, and found no heartbeat. So everytime I have an u/s scheduled, I have a mini panic attack on the way there.
March 17th, 2011, 10:12 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Your not nuts. I refused to have them done this time. I didn't want an early u/s I just wanted to trust God and my body that things were fine. Aside from my anxiety I have done ok with it . You have to do what helps you feel good and makes you happy.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had betas done, so I don't know the anxiety of them, but I agree, don't do them if you don't want to.

The ultrasounds are what getting my nerves going too.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

March 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I honestly am starting to think that it's better not to have them drawn. It will give you information, but not information you can do anything with. It will just cause unnecessary worry.... I don't think I will have them done next time. What happens, happens.

Betas can be off unless you do them at the same lab. Successful pregnancies don't all have the same hcg rise pattern. I have seen MANY women freak out because their hcg took 60 hours to double instead of 48. They get all worked up and it ends up being no big deal! Too much stress I say. Sometimes too much knowledge is bad.

March 17th, 2011, 11:13 AM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
I wait couple of days before I called my Ob to get the betas done. I think you need to do what you feel is best.

I am more nervous about the ultrasounds. I am so nervous about mine tomrorow. I am praying that pumpkin is growing and the h/b is a lot stronger.
March 17th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Micksbabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't get betas here so I don't have that anxiety but I agree with the other ladies that you aren't nuts!!! I still haven't had the nerve to call to get my confirmation appointment

Thank you Bokkechick for my gorgeous siggie

March 17th, 2011, 01:54 PM
~Lynda~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i didn't have much of a choice since we went the IVF route. But i know many ladies who stresssed over their numbers and it was unneeded stress. do what feels right!

March 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Part of me says I shouldn't only because I am so afraid of bad news. And part of me is torn because I did have the cervical ectopic in September and should be monitored just in case. Ugggggggggg..... decisions

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

March 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I called my RE's office and made an appointment for tomorrow am. I am not sure if I am going to get betas done, It is an open appointment with my favorite nurse. And the doctor is in if we have additional questions.

I am really scared. I told myself if I ever got pregnant again that I would not get scared but just sit back and enjoy every second. This is our last chance...

March 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Missy Ive been on both ends of the coin. Great betas, and baby who died anyway. Great betas, and baby who is here with me. Discuss your options with the nurse, but I say just ask for two early u/s's. One in the 5th week to make sure there's a sac in your uterus and one in the 6th week to confirm h/b. This way your not chasing numbers...and you have immediate results upon the u/s!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

March 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
That is smart advice Lori!! Ok, that is what I will do. Plus I can get free samples of prenatal vitamins when I go there tomorrow

Deep Breath.

March 17th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Missy, it's okay to be freaked out, it's normal!!! Don't worry about it This too shall pass. One day (hour, minute) at a time.

I think Lori's advice is perfect and I'm sure your doc will go along with it. Hope you have a great appt!!!

March 17th, 2011, 04:10 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
What time is your appointment tomorrow? I will be thinking about you. I agree with Lori. I wish I would have had u/s when I was 5 weeks. Maybe if I did that and saw that pumpkin was growing between the 5 week one and last weeks I wouldn't worry so much about tomorrow's.
March 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM
mom2moose
Just remember to not be alarmed if there's no heartbeat at 5 weeks. With my DD, the HB didn't show up until week 7.5. (Also with her, they told me because my HcG levels weren't rising fast enough that I would m/c at any time. They were wrong!!) Another reason to dislike betas. LOL

And because you know this is "your last chance" it's probably even more stressful. Everyone is pulling for you. And praying. Good luck at your appt. tomorrow!!
March 17th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Thank you ladies so much for all of your support. I am only 4weeks so I am obviously not going to ask for an ultrasound yet but I will get some vitamins and see if maybe somehow I may find a little calmness to my brain.

March 17th, 2011, 07:20 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I hope your appointment goes great tomorrow and you get those early u/s's scheduled. Thinking of you.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Wait....what???? You're PREGNANT??? How did I miss this??? CONGRATS!! loads of prayers for you honey!!!

March 17th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5lopez View Post
Missy Ive been on both ends of the coin. Great betas, and baby who died anyway. Great betas, and baby who is here with me. Discuss your options with the nurse, but I say just ask for two early u/s's. One in the 5th week to make sure there's a sac in your uterus and one in the 6th week to confirm h/b. This way your not chasing numbers...and you have immediate results upon the u/s!
^^ I think this is perfect advise. That little sac and then little beating heart are WAY more fun than a bunch of numbers!!!! I might wait till 7 or 8 weeks for the second u/s cause I like to see a good strong heart beat - and then you even get to see little arm and leg buds - a baby gummy bear - just what we all dream of!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search