Epidural or no

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you planning on an epidural or no?

With my boys I never thought of an epidural. Besides pitocin basically had natural childbirths. But after watching the show one born every minute and Lori sharing her experiences with Mia I am thinking about it. On one show it said "you wouldn't get a tooth pulled without novicane, why have a baby without an eipdural".

What are your thoughts?
March 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Well, I don't know if I am allowed to post since I am not currently pregnant, but I can tell you my thought process from my last full pregnancy (not my loss) and what I will do next time.

I was dead set against an epidural because I was afraid they would paralyze me by stabbing my in the wrong part of my spine. I knew this was incredibly unlikely, but that's what I thought.

Well, other things happened when I got to the hospital that meant I had to stay in bed, which made trying to go natural more difficult since I couldn't move at all. I tried one other type of medicine first because though not terribly painful, the labor was annoying in it's relentless cyclical nature. I finally got the epidural and I was glad I did.

With my next pregnancy, I plan on holding out as long as I can an hope that it's a short labor, but if it gets to be too much, I will get one again. Since there is risk with any procedure, I recommend the same thought to anyone. Don't go in dead set of having one, but if you need it, don't feel bad about it either.
March 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with Courtney...I'm gonna go in with the mindset of not getting one (and hope for a short labor), but if I really need one, I'm gonna do it.

Oh, and personally, I don't mind you posting here at all Courtney...I post in TTCAL and I'm obvious not TTC right now lol

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

March 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I personally will always get one. My labors and delivery's are shorter with them. I don't like pain. Can't deal. And my body clenches down when I am in labor and won't progress. With the epi I just don't feel it and body goes to town. DS labor was 2.5 hours and 1 push . I also know that if a life saving measure needs to be done having an epi makes all the difference. I had a number of friends, yes kind of rare situations, however they would not have survived without the epi.
My first I was trying to be natural. When they said I might have to have a c section I said bring on the drugs . It saved us both. Everyone has their thing. Do what makes you happy and have a good L&D. Its your body, your baby and your experience.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 22nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Epidurals are generally quite safe but there are risks associated with them. People labor differently and in many cases the benefits of epidural outweigh the risks, but for many others this is not the case. I think it's important for women to be informed and make their own choices without being pushed one way or another by some ideological medical staff. I know women who were pushed into the epidural are equally bitter about it as women who were pushed into going all-natural when they really needed more pain relief.

I'm hoping to be able to move around during labor, and I don't like the idea of being basically paralyzed from the waist down. My hospital does not do "walking epidurals". I want to feel everything. I'm very confident about my ability to deal with pain and intense sensations. In fact, my grandmother had a natural birth, in the days of "twilight sleep" no less - she just went into the hospital late in labor and declined all pain meds - she said that the sensations were very intense and overwhelming, but she didn't think of it as pain, and the whole experience was wonderful. I am planning to name my daughter after her and I hope to follow in her footsteps! If I don't have any complications of course!

March 22nd, 2011, 01:03 PM
mom2moose
I was like Courtney, in the respect of being afraid of being paralyzed. Lol But I was never really against them. With my DD, they first gave me some drug that knowcked me on my *****, but never took the pain away. Just made me half delirious. Who wants that?? I then got the epi, but for some reason, it didn't take, so I felt everything. My OB said that sometimes that happens, but it may not happen again. So, I'm going to try it again. Anything to make it more painless and enjoyable is all I care about. I don't really think it hurts the baby too much, though I know some would disagree.
March 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had 4 deliveries, 2 without epi's, 1 with and 1 kinda with one (I got the epi, rolled over and started pushing, my dd was born before the meds numbed me) and the one with an epi was the funnest

But my last labor, the one where the epi was given too late, getting the epi was the worst part of my labor. It was so intensely painful. I tend to kind of go into a trance during labor, particularly during transition. Having to sit up and hunch over for the epi totally broke my trance and the contractions were extremely intense (it was also an induction with pitocin). This time I'll be induced again and plan to not have an epidural.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

March 22nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My epidural with Sara saved me from having a c section and possibly her life. I am not one that handles alot of pain I was given an epidural at 2 cm (not very common) but I was also given pitocin and in unbearable pain. After several hours (like6-7) still being in severe pain and still only 2 cm, with saras heartrate dropping with every contraction a nurse finally noticed the idiot dr that gave me the epidural kinked the hose and I was not getting any drugs. I was advised that if sara's heart rate did not start maintaining and i did not progress within an hour they would have to do a c section. With in an hour i was dialating great and within the next 30 min i was pushing. This time I will try again to wait as long as possible but I am not afraid to ask for one for sure
March 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Mine is a unique situation. With my first, I had a wonderful epidural. With my second, he came so fast that they were trying to put it in when he was born so I got it after the fact. It was a good thing though because I retained the placenta and had to have it scraped out. My third was great, my 4th something just never worked right. I ended up with an undiagnosed spinal headache for a week. I had to have a blood patch done which immediately cured the headache but it came back 24hrs later and I had to have a second one done. Because of all that, they couldn't get an epi to work for my 5th and she came too fast to try and make one work. With my 6th they thought I might need a c-section so I got another one and it worked on half of my body.

So all that being said, I can say I've done it without an epi and I know I'm a wimp, however, I'm scared to death of another botched one. We'll see how things go.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Last edited by 8miraclez; March 22nd, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
March 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
dreamer10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had this nurse once with one of my labors and I had decided to have an epidural. Well, with my first two babies I went all natural and had to be induced and it was hell. It was worth it, but it was hell...then I had an epidural. Back to the story...she told me how she had been a nurse for 20 plus years. For the first 18 or so she was completely convinced that all natural was best for mom and baby. Then she transfered to a hospital where the bulk of the babies were born with epi's. She said the mothers were so much more relaxed, and that the babies overall did better than the babies born to moms who went all natural. She had her own theories as to why that was....mom was able to sleep and rest during labor, their bodies werent in any pain so the baby was more calm and relaxed....and so on. After that I have to say that I was more on board with the epi's than I had been. Not all of my epi's went perfect and one was done downright wrong...but overall I prefer the epi. After the initial pain of having it placed, it is the wonder drug for me. I would know too because I have done it both ways...several times!

I will say that to each his own....lots of women have their reasons for not wanting an epi and I don't blame them. Each woman has the right to choose and either way these babies get here and most are just fine. But I am pro-epi!

Our rainbow baby Brynlee Sue was born August 17th after four heartbreaking loses! Life is an amazing journey. Hang on, keep your faith and try to always move forward!
March 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an epidural with my first daughter, and it was a nightmare for me. I am a control freak, and the loss of control of being able to get in a position that was comfortable for me was much worse than the pain. On top of that, I had back labor that the epidural didn't touch.

So for my second daughter I decided to have a natural childbirth. I didn't take a class, but I did a lot of reading and practiced/learned to get in touch with my body. It really did help when I was actually in labor. I had the most amazing experience with my second daughter, and actually had a "high" after she was born similar to my runner's highs that I've experienced. Of course, with her I labored quickly and wouldn't have had time to get an epidural anyway (was ready to push just 30 min after getting to the birth center that was only 5 minutes from my house, and the hospital was further away). I plan on going natural with this one, too, if everything works out and baby isn't breech or something.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
March 23rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I don't know my plan. But I know I can handle natural childbirth and I plan to try again, if everything is in place. This time I have more issues to address, so it might not be realistic to think I can have a natural childbirth.

I loved everything about Liam's birth and I did not have any medical intervention besides two monitoring sessions (about 5min each) and they broke my water when I reached ten and was ready to push (it helped him come down, he was high through my entire labor).

I tend to shy away from medical intervention, when at all possible. But as I said, this pregnancy is entirely different and I have had more interventions already than I did in Liam's entire pregnancy/birth. So I will have to play it by ear.

I never really considered an epi in Liam's labor, it was long, several days, but not as intense as I thought it would be. But apparently I have a pretty high pain tolerance as I ripped internally and frankly did not even notice when it was happening or when they had to stitch it afterward.
March 23rd, 2011, 07:37 AM
dreamer10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sure do envy you ladies that have short labors. I think I would go natural if I thought my labors would be short and easy. My body doesnt work that way though and my shortest labor was 8 hours...longest was my most recent birth at a whopping 16 hours. I so wish mine were short!

Our rainbow baby Brynlee Sue was born August 17th after four heartbreaking loses! Life is an amazing journey. Hang on, keep your faith and try to always move forward!
March 23rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have short labors and delivery's and I still go with the epi . I don't do pain.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 23rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer10 View Post
I sure do envy you ladies that have short labors. I think I would go natural if I thought my labors would be short and easy. My body doesnt work that way though and my shortest labor was 8 hours...longest was my most recent birth at a whopping 16 hours. I so wish mine were short!
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!!

My longest labor was with Corey - 36 hours. My shortest with Kyle 10 hours.

I am jealous of you short labor ladies!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 23rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Definitely would go with the epi, I only made it 1cm with my son but the pain was UNBEARABLE. And my body would clench up and I was shaking uncontrollably, it was no fun! I know some people don't want the epi because it makes it more "real" or whatever but no, I wouldn't have a tooth pulled without medication, and there's no need to go through child birth in such agony so if I don't have to, I won't! The epi allowed me to sleep during labor and rest!
March 23rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I wont be going with one since I'm birthing at home

March 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd like to try all natural but if I need an epi I'll get one and won't feel bad about it. I was induced with DD 3 weeks early due to Pre E and my body was no where near ready to deliver and I stalled at 5 cm after 26 hours and her HR dropped and didn't pick up so I got a crash c-section. (cord was around her neck 3 times)

The pitcocin contractions were intensely painful right from the get-go and they wouldn't let me labor in the tub or get out of bed since my blood pressure was so high so I lasted about 7 hours with the pit and then asked for the epidural. Sadly, it really did nothing for me but numb my legs (and this was after several boluses and them removing it and reinserting a new one) so I still felt everything.

This time I'm hoping to go into labor on my own (def. no inductions it's either a VBAC or a repeat section), be able to move around and use the tub for pain relief, and then see how I feel.

March 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a no epi person. I've had 3 long pitocin inductions (medically necessary) and with the last two part of my problem was getting the baby to engage. I can't help but think that if I had an epi and wasn't up walking, squatting, doing lunges (you name it ) I may have ended up with a c-section. I have loved my experiences....being able to work through my labor with DH, extremely short pushing stage, feeling empowered, and feeling great afterward. The nurses were shocked that Toby was born at 8 pm and I was showered, dressed, and taking visitors by 10 pm.

I've had a spinal for kidney stone surgery, though, so I've had the numb legs feeling and I hated it. I guess thats just me.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
March 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
I personally will always get one. My labors and delivery's are shorter with them. I don't like pain. Can't deal. And my body clenches down when I am in labor and won't progress.
That's the way labor is for me. I also get to the point where anxiety takes over and I start hyperventilating and such. So in the end, and epidural is better for me with *my* labors. But I go as long as I can without it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search