Teach Me Please!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
- Why do the crib bars not come down anymore? How do you get the baby out?
This was pretty stupid IMO. 10 babies (out of millions) died over a period of more than a decade due to suffocation in drop-side cribs, so they issued a recall of ALL drop-side cribs and they are no longer being made. Short moms are now out of luck. You could still ignore the guidelines and get a used one (probably for SUPER cheap too, haha)

- I love California rolls sushi. Is that safe since there isn't any raw fish?
Yes, it is either imitation crab (no real meat at all) or cooked crab meat, so it is perfectly safe.

- I do 10+ loads of laundry a week now. I think I am going to have to skip on the cloth diapers.
Okaaaay.... if you say so!

- Swings come powered now? You mean I don't have to wind them up? Now that is cool!
Yup.

- Babywearing I used to have a carrier with Kyle for when I went grocery shopping and out to the stores which sounds like what these slings are like. So people do it all the time? How does the baby learn to play with themselves and comfort themselves now? How does the mom get 10 minutes to herself?
A common question in Attachment Parenting is, doesn't that make the child dependent and unable to self-soothe? AP folks will tell you, though, that it makes the baby feel very secure, and decide on their own that they want to play by themselves, sleep by themselves, etc, when they are ready and wish to. And that in the end they are MORE independent, confident, not neurotic, etc. There is an AP board on JM and I also recommend the Dr. Sears books if you want to learn more, I'm sort of into AP but not die hard party line about it, I like reading their stuff though!

- What is Hypnobirthing? What is gas/air birth?
Hypnobirthing is a technique for pain relief during natural childbirth that uses hypnosis to relax you and get away from the pain/clenching/pain cycle. You start training earlier in pregnancy so that the audio "triggers" can put you in a hypnosis (deeply relaxed) state easily when you use them in birth. I don't know what gas/air birth is

- I tried to breastfeed with my oldest and lasted about a week as I did not produce enough milk. It just wasn't for me and I bottlefed the other boys from the beginning. I really need to give this part a lot of thought. Maybe now that I am older I will be more relaxed and can breastfeed or the opposite may happen - now that I am older I may not produce any milk at all? hmmmmm... I will need to do a lot more research on this part.
This may be another difference for you. Breastfeeding has become a lot more mainstream. Overwhelming medical evidence now exists for the benefits of breastfeeding over formula, especially for newborns, so most doctors and nurses are pushing it a lot more than they used to. For example, AAP is totally pro-breastfeeding now. See:
American Academy of Pediatrics | Home
It's worth doing some more research. I know in the olden days, older moms were assumed unable to breastfeed (DH's grandma had a baby at 42 and was NOT ALLOWED to TRY to breastfeed!) but that is definitely considered outdated now. I think you would get a lot of support if you wanted to try it again!

March 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Baby wearing is a very personal option. I personally don't do it . I like having children that can entertain themselves. Plus I work full time and daycare isn't going to baby wear so why start something I can't finish.

I bottle feed both of my kids although I tried to breatfeed but it just didn't work out for various reasons. I will have bottles again I work its a neccessary evil but I will give breastfeeding a try.

Shen's answers were better than mine . I was typeing at the same time .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
mom2moose
Yeah, the drop side cribs were considered too dangerous. Babies get their head stuck. By the year 2012, all daycares and other places should no longer have them. So, if daycare is what you might do, you might want to look into that.

I know nothing about the sushi thing, as I've never had it. I DO eat lunch meat. Usually I don't like it, but I've craved it this pregnancy. Go figure. I agree with Jess. Every week we should start a thread about a "new-ish" baby product and see what people like or don't like about them.

And shen??? Sometimes you shock me with all your knowledge! Your brain must be tired at the end of the day. LOL
March 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Haha, I am a huge nerd!!!

To be honest, researching all this stuff has been sort of a mental-stimulation outlet for me since I stopped working after my ectopic. My whole life up until then, I was either in school doing demanding stuff (I was always really advanced in math) or working, where as an environmental scientist I was *always* having to teach myself new topics, find information online from credible sources, etc. So I've continued, just in a new area of interest!

I also love the idea of having a new thread about each of these things every so often. Despite all my obsessive research I definitely still have lots to learn!!!!

March 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I think it will be great for all of us to learn.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Super Mommy
I don't know if I have anything new to add since I last went through this over 5 years ago and the others have such fabulous advice. What I wanted to mention was that, thank goodness, babies have not changed much. Love them, cuddle them, they spit up and shoot strange goo out of all orifices, sometimes they sleep really good, sometimes not so much. All else is window dressing

Oh, and the price of those fancy urban strollers that can go off-roading, but never leave the mall will knock your socks off.
March 23rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Quote:
Originally Posted by janey_2011 View Post
I don't know if I have anything new to add since I last went through this over 5 years ago and the others have such fabulous advice. What I wanted to mention was that, thank goodness, babies have not changed much. Love them, cuddle them, they spit up and shoot strange goo out of all orifices, sometimes they sleep really good, sometimes not so much. All else is window dressing

Oh, and the price of those fancy urban strollers that can go off-roading, but never leave the mall will knock your socks off.
Agree about the babies!

As for the strollers, one word: Craigslist. You can get great deals on there. When I was pregnant with what became my loss, I was convinced it would be twins (I was wrong), so I started checking out double strollers. Tons of people sell the travel systems with extra bases and are in great condition for really good prices (like $50). I definitely would go there first before buying new.
March 23rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
hehe missy! the rear facing really isn't that bad, since they don't know any different they realy don't care! (most of them!)

The boppy was super super SUPER useful for me while breastfeeing (I didn't use it while bottle feeding). It gave me something to rest my arms on while BF'ding and I actually couldn't BF without resting my arms on something, public BF'ding SUCKED!

baby wearing with the carriers, I discovered it too late with my son (he was huge!) but plan to use it with the next one.

The cribs don't come down anymore because of safety but the mattress will be able to be up higher so you should be good!

You are supposed to limit your mercury intake, my dr says I can have fish 1-2 times a week.

hypnobirthing is not something I could ever accomplish, but man that would be cool! You give birth while "hypnotized" so you don't feel a thing....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search