Baby monitors. (Kind of depressing subject matter).

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
mom2moose
So . . . A little history on me. My first husband was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and passed away the night of our 6th wedding anniversary, in his sleep. I woke up and found him. (I'm sorry if this is depressing, but I DO have a point.!!) For years after that, I was terrified that someone would be asleep at my house and die. (I know. I'm crazy.) So, when I found out I was pregnant, I was so scared of SIDS and something happening to my daughter.

My mother bought me an Angelcare Bebe Sounds monitor. It is a pad that goes under the baby, and monitors movemtns, like breathing. If there is NO movement for 10 seconds, an alarm sounds. It's to help prevent SIDS. I LOVED mine. It went off twice, once at 2 months old and once at 4 months old. I shook her and she finally moved. I can't be certain this was something serious, or if she was just in a deep sleep, but I've always been thankful I had one.

I don't know how to post links, so you'll have to google it yourself if you might be interested. I just thought for some new moms or others like me, who always feared the worse, you might want to know about these things.
March 23rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2moose View Post
For years after that, I was terrified that someone would be asleep at my house and die. (I know. I'm crazy.)
I am still reading this whole thing, but I had to comment on this immediately. So NOT crazy! Good lord, I would be exactly the same way if that happened to me.

Ok, now I have read the rest, this second post will probably get glommed on to my other post and make me look like I have time issues or something, but anyway, I had no idea this product existed. It's so smart! Sounds like a great thing to have. When we first brought our son home, he would just occasionally stop breathing, which is apparently normal, but it still freaked me out. I would wake up every few minutes to make sure he was still breathing. This would be a very calming device to have.

Last edited by Shadeauxe; March 23rd, 2011 at 09:15 AM.
March 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Angelcare Baby Monitor | Babyphone and Baby Movement Sensor

I saw an add in fit pregnancy for these. I actually thought it was really neat. I don't know that we will get one but they are great.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is a neat invention. I am hoping to forgo monitors for awhile since we will be co-sleeping (with the Arm's Reach co-sleeper attached to my side of the bed), part of which is so that she is right there for me to see and check on just by opening an eye or reaching out an arm. But if/when we sleep her in her own room, it would be great to have one of those things. I just had my infant CPR class so I am definitely aware of these issues right now...

March 23rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I can totally understand being overly cautious. My sisters foster baby died the night before my wedding and I helped try and do cpr on him. My kids have all come home on O2 monitors and one dd stopped breathing twice and ended up in the picu. If I don't have a monitor for this one, we'll be looking into getting something.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
March 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used Angelcare monitors for all three newborns, and will with this bean also--I think they're invaluable

Lucky mother to five!

March 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jenny - I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. You are such a strong woman.

This is another example of how times have really changed. My oldest had sleep apnea when he was an infant and was in the hospital. They sent us home with a monitor that was a huge grey box and I think it was 6 wires that came out of it. We connected the wires onto round discs that we had to put on his chest before he went to sleep.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 23rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love it...i knew they had motion sensors but i didn't know they had monitors with these sensors, thanks so much for sharing this is on my must have list
March 23rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I have always wanted one, but could never afford one. I might save up for one this time. And honestly? I didn't quite have the same experience, but it seems kind of similar. Cora died during the night while I was sleeping and I woke up to no movement at all, so I've been terrified of it happening again, not only while I'm pregnant but after too. So it makes sense to me that with your experience you would react that way.

I think I'm going to look into this again.

March 24th, 2011, 05:21 AM
mom2moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
I have always wanted one, but could never afford one. I might save up for one this time. And honestly? I didn't quite have the same experience, but it seems kind of similar. Cora died during the night while I was sleeping and I woke up to no movement at all, so I've been terrified of it happening again, not only while I'm pregnant but after too. So it makes sense to me that with your experience you would react that way.

I think I'm going to look into this again.
Mine was a mid-priced one, and it was on sale for $89. That's not cheap, but we did use it for 9 to 10 months. (Until Morgan started moving too much for it to be effective.) They may be even cheaper now. This was 3 years ago. We bought mine on Amazon.
March 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think you are crazy!

I am getting one! # 1 was a micro and came home on a monitor. He came off it when #2 was a month or 2 old. But with #2 and #3 I was always scared. They slept next to me in a cradle. It literally touched the bed so I could have my hand on them all night.

On another board, one of the mom's just lost a baby to SIDS. So that makes me a little more paranoid.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search