Fetal Dopplers?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran
I'm 12 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I'm still worried about the babies heart stopping so i'm wondering if anyone has rented fetal dopplers? and if they found success in them, aka, known how to use them with the instructions, if they worked. I found a canadian site called fetalassure.ca and there located in canada, where I am. I'm just curious if it's a waste of money or if it's a good thing to have for the month.
March 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM
mom2moose
If you have a frontal placenta (not sure of actual name, but it's when the placenta is in front of the baby) they don't work as well, because the placenta acts as a blocker. That's what I have and the OB can barely get the heartbeat and hers is way more money than I would spend on one.

It's a personal choice. In a month or so, you should start feeling kicks, which will help your worrying a little. From what I've heard though, don't get TOO cheap of one. The cheaper they are, the crappier they are. Good luck with whatever you do!!
March 25th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Super Mommy
I have rented one from another Canadian site www.tummytickles.com. They are in Vancouver, so depending on which end of the country you are in the shipping could be faster or slower. I think I got mine at about 13 weeks and was able to hear the HB right away. The quality of the rentals is usually similar to what the m/w and docs use. However... and this is the BIG warning... like Jenny mentioned your ability to hear the HB will depend on where your placenta is. I have heard of lots of women who freak themselves out even though everything is just fine. For me, however, the ability to have that regular reassurance has been a lifesaver.
March 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I opted not to get one and just see my nurse a couple times a week . At this point the chances of a loss are like 1% so really there isn't much to worry about. Easier said than done I know. You should start feeling movement soon so that should help. I am so sorry that you are worried. I agree don't go to cheap. Good luck let us know what you get.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Veteran
When I heard the heartbeat from my obgyn, it was fast and simple. She found it right away so I don't think that would be a big problem!
Thanks ladies!
March 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The doppler at your OB's office is medical grade, and is much more sensitive than ones you can get for at-home use. I have an anterior placenta with this pregnancy and could not pick up the HB with my home doppler until 16 weeks or so. With my first pregnancy I couldn't get it until almost 15 weeks. Both times the OB was able to get it at 10 weeks with their doppler.

Just letting you know so you don't worry!!

March 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I rented mine from babybeat.com. Not sure if they go into Canada or not. They are quite expensive, but they are as strong as the dr's if not stronger IMO. Ive used this company now for the last 8yrs. My two last dd's and this pregnancy. Was able to find the h/b with my last baby and this baby by 9wks. With my dd who is 8, her placenta was in front and I was not able to pick it up until 15wks.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

March 27th, 2011, 12:50 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought one from Hi Bebe, which is Canadian. Here is their website: Hi Bebe Digital Fetal Heartbeat Monitor I was able to find the heartbeat from 11 weeks, and 2 other people have used it with the same success. I loved it!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
March 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
I bought one from Amazon and even though I didn't really hear it regularly until about 14 weeks it always was reassuring. There were times even later in the pregnancy where she wouldn't move as much and I could always check and would hear her hb. If I can remember where I put it i'm going to be using it again with this one.

March 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM
mom2njia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mom2njia
I just bought the hi bebe too. I cant hear the baby yet thought. I am not 11 weeks yet, have a tilted uterus, and am overweight. So I am not worried. Hope to hear it in the next few weeks tho.

my blog
March 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have the Hi Bebe one. I have an anterior placenta and a tilted uterus...and am not too skinny...and we found this beans heartbeat at one day shy of 11 weeks. But, I know that lots of people with anterior placentas are not quite as lucky. My baby can "peek" out the sides because my placenta is directly in the middle of my body, with a little room on the sides. I am very, very pleased with my purchase. It was $75 from a medical supply store I found online. It is very reassuring, even though I know the rates are not terribly high anymore. It is so hard to not worry!!
March 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I rented one with my 3rd pregnancy and bought one when pregnant with my 4th. With both of those pregnancies I was able to find the hb at 10 weeks, as was my OB. And, I had an anterior placenta with my 4th.

With this baby, I couldn't find the HB until around 15 weeks...but neither could my OB with his doppler. She was just snuggled down quite low and it was hard to find.

I would recommend buying one as opposed to renting, you'll pay less in the long run and can resell when you're done

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

March 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
I have Sonotrax and I love it. I think we picked up the hb at 11w, but I cant remember for sure. I agree with the pp, buying is going to save you money in the long run, especially once you find out a month is not long enough. At least thats what I have found. I listen for the heart beat almost every day at 18 weeks. Im not sure if needing that reassurance ever goes away.

[/url
March 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wasn't going to get one, but one of the preschool moms lent me her's that she'd bought, I got it at 16 weeks and am so glad I borrowed it. Not sure if I'd ever get my own, though

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search