Cloth Diapering

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Lets learn about our options ladies.
Share your knowledge and experience so we know if this is the right option for us. Here are a couple links to get us started. And I will see if some of them will pop in and offer advice .

Cloth Diapering - JustMommies Message Boards
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...diapering.html (♥ CD101 ~ The Poop On Cloth Diapering ♥)

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 28th, 2011, 10:44 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a pretty seasoned cloth diaperer (been CDing my daughter for the last 17 months) and I'd be glad to answer any questions you ladies might have!

I also plan to CD this baby and have a newborn stash ready to go.

I've used it all, AIOs (all in ones) fitteds, PUL covers, wool, fleece, etc.

The only thing I haven't used yet is prefolds but I got my snappis today and used DD's doll and watched some videos so I'm ready!

March 28th, 2011, 11:18 AM
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to get started?

March 28th, 2011, 11:21 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have been CDing for about 8-9 months now (since August). We use AIO's, hybrids, and some pockets for Liam.

We have a stash of fitteds and covers, pockets, and AIO's for the new baby started.

We spent WAY too much for our stash to start, because I did not know what I would like and I did not do it smart (aka: I bought a ton of one kind, before finding it was not the best fit, etc). We will still save tons of money, but we could have done it smarter.
March 28th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I am really thinking about giving it a go but if Dh isn't on board it might not work.

March 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've only been cloth diapering for a couple of months, but I seriously love it! I've spent maybe $350 and that will last us until potty training, probably. I have no idea what you would need to spend to start out with a newborn, but it is really smart to get a couple or one of a few different kinds and see what you like before spending much money, like Ashlee said.

We use almost all pockets. I really love Fuzzi Bunz and recently made my first Bum Genius purchase the other day. It should be here probably tomorrow, so I'll be anxious to try that out soon. I also have some that I got off of Etsy that were made by a lady there. They are super cute and work just great! I have two all in ones that I don't love. I also have 4 fitteds (Mother-ease Sandys) with covers that we use for nap time. They work wonderfully for containing everything!

Congratulations to all of you on your new little ones coming!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

March 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks Stacey that helps alot

March 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to add that my hubby doesn't do anything with washing the cloth---I know some men do, but I'd rather do it myself cuz I have my own method----and it's no biggie. If Eli poops, I just tell dh to put it on top of the washer and I'll deal with it. He has no problem changing the diapers, though. Most of the cloth diapers aren't much different than sposies.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

March 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I love cloth diapering - for me it was a financial decision, rather than a 'want to save the environment' decision, though that certainly plays a part!

My biggest recommendation to Mamas considering using cloth, is to stay open minded & to try out a few different brands & types - because it can take awhile to find out what works best for you & your baby... I've also found that generally more expensive diapers are better quality, although there are lots of great WAHM (work at home Mom) diapers out there!!!!

For me, pockets make up a bulk of my stash - I like them because of the fact you can increase the absorbency as much as you need to - they seem to be the only thing that works overnight for Emersyn! I also really like using prefolds though, I think a lot of people get put off by them - but they're really easy to use, and I love some of the covers you can get!!!!!

I worked it out & I'm saving about $2000 by using cloth diapers, rather than disposables.. admittedly I've spent a lot on cloth diapers, BUT I justify it by knowing that I can sell them on when I'm finished with them - you certainly can't do that with disposables!!!!!

Also don't be put off by the laundry aspect - it really isn't much effort at all! For me I use liners, so rarely get poop on the actual nappy, I dispose of that & then put the diaper in a diaper bucket (with a lid)... then the end of each day I put the diapers through the wash, put them in the drier (or hang them out if it is summer) - and they're ready to go the next morning!

If anyone is interested in cloth diapering, definitely check out the cloth diapering board, the ladies there are so helpful!!!!!!

March 28th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm about to bite the bullet and buy my newborn stash!!!!!! Maybe in a couple of weeks at the latest. My mom is visiting soon and I will drop some unsubtle hints to see if she wants to help me out at all It will consist of ~$200 of stuff: newborn and small size prefolds and covers to last through ~15-18 lbs, plus a large stash of cloth wipes to last indefinitely, plus a dozen birdseye flats for in-between sizes and backup, plus some wet bags (both at-home hanging and on-the-go) which will also hopefully last for the duration.

I already have some Rock'n Green detergent and pail powder, snappis, white vinegar, Bac-Out, and small spray bottles and tea tree oil and lavender essential oil for making my own butt-cleaning potion. I splurged on some Earth Mama Angel Baby CD-safe rash cream. Oh, and I also bought some fancy hemp-terry fabric I will use it as an absorbent layer on the crib sheets I make, and also make some hemp doublers with it.

I've been obsessively researching cloth diaper laundry because it seems to me that the main reason people stop is because they can't figure out a laundry system that keeps the diapers clean and rash-safe. I have an HE washer (bad) but not very hard or mineral-y water (good). I am sticking with the natural fibers on the dipes themselves, and with the prefolds, in order to minimize my chance of problems. Plus I love prefolds. I got to practice with them on my friend's 3 wk old newborn, and I got my technique down well. They work GREAT with a nice sideroll fold and a snappi for holding in that newborn poo!!!!

March 28th, 2011, 05:49 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been cloth diapering since Cori was a baby, so I figure I'm really getting my money's worth now that I'm on #3. I have also tried lots of different things. I can't say enough good things about cottonbabies (Bumgenius brand)....that is what I started with and the pocket one-size still make up the bulk of my stash. I haven't ever paid full price for anything from them because I'm on their mailing list and I wait for their "seconds" sales. I also have a full set of prefolds and covers, but I don't snappi, I just lay my prefolds in. I have Econobum (cottonbabies) covers, Bummis covers, some old pro-raps and bumkins, and some Thirsties. I really like the Thirsties, but I love the price on the Econobums. My newborn stash is Kissaluvs and bumgenius bamboo fitteds (may have been discontinued?). I recommend fitteds for newborns, especially breastfed newborns. Lots of my covers and my kissaluvs were purchased second-hand. Smaller stuff doesn't typically see as much use, so you can get away with that. Wool was too much work for us. DH doesn't wash, but he does spray out poopy diapers....I love the diaper sprayer. Also, we don't 100% cloth diaper....we still use disposable for travel and when I need to use aquaphor for rash (my kiddos get rash really easily). Good luck! You'll get hooked!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
March 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Why is an HE washer bad?

March 28th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to get started?

It depends on what you want to use and how often you want to do laundry. If you start simple with a couple dozen prefolds, a few snappis and a few covers you can get going for under 100$.

If you want to get fancy and get fitteds, or AIOs, then you are looking at more like 400-600$ to get started depending on how many you get.

Figure with a NB you will be going through 12-14 diapers a day, so if you start with about 30 fitteds/AIOS at 15-20$ a piece, which has you doing wash about every other day, that puts you closer to the 600$ mark.

When you are doing your calculations look at the cost of using disposables too and for how long you'd use them. While the initial investment is higher and tougher to swallow, if you exclusively CD you will save a heap of $ over the course of the 2-3 years you would have used sposies.

I will warn you that CDing is addictive, and you may find yourself falling down a rabbit hole of spending more and more on cute prints and covers and wool and you won't end up saving at all! LOL that is what has happened to me, it's become a really fun hobby that I waste a ton of $ on.

Quote:
Why is an HE washer bad?
An HE washer isn't bad, we have one and hard water and it works just fine. It just uses less water and you want to make sure you then use less soap and do an extra rinse or two so you don't get detergent buildup on your dipes which makes them repel liquids and not work as well.

Hard water isn't bad either, it rinses things cleaner than soft water. You want to use even less detergent if you have soft water.

March 28th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I should add that I second trying a few styles and brands before locking down which kind you make your stash consist of mainly, because different dipes fit different babies better/worse and it helps to try a few. We started with mostly pockets (bumgenius, fuzzibunz, NuBunz) and I really like those, but then we added some AIOs which are very convenient too and then moved on to fitteds and covers as I like the fit better (less bulky) and loved all the prints.

As for wash routines keeping it simple is your best bet. I can give you some tips if you like, but the basics are:

1. rinse poo before putting dirty dipes in your wetbag/bucket unless you are EBF and then that poo is water soluble so you don't need to rinse

2. remove inserts when you put dirty dipes in the bucket (saves you pawing around stinky dipes later to do it before the wash)

3. if you have applix closure( velcro) stick them to the laundry tabs on the diaper to help them stay put and not wear out as fast

4. cold rinse first with no soap. If you have stinkies a 1/2 cup of white vinegar can go in here.

5. hot wash or warm wash with detergent (follow detergent instructions for that brand and your washer, HE and soft water you need less. If your dipes come out stinky you made need a little more) followed by a cold rinse

6. extra cold rinse(s) if you have HE- basically you want to see no soap bubbles in your rinse. Soap residue = water repellent diapers = leaks!

7. line dry PUL (I use a wooden dowel rack in the winter) and you can either line or machine dry inserts & fitteds. If you choose to line dry they tend to be a little crunchy after, and you can pop them in the dryer for 10 minutes or so to fluff them up.

8. If you must use fabric softener only use Ecover, it's veggie based and safe for CDing- other brands leave a residue (see above)

HTH!!

March 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have a front loader, how would you add the vinegar? Just curious. I have heard people use vinegar for all sorts of things in the wash but I don't know if I can just dump it in the same place as the soap goes.

March 29th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have a front loader, how would you add the vinegar? Just curious. I have heard people use vinegar for all sorts of things in the wash but I don't know if I can just dump it in the same place as the soap goes.
If you use it in the pre-wash (initial cold rinse cycle), you can add it directly to the washer before throwing the dipes in. I've also heard of people using it in a Downey ball to get it to release during the final rinse, like fabric softener. You're not supposed to use much, just like 1/4-1/2 cup.

My HE front loader has all these different compartments - so I can add it to the "pre-wash" section, or the "fabric softener" section, depending on if I want it at the beginning or end.

Using vinegar at the end of the cycle aids in rinsing out detergent residues (since those are alkaline and the vinegar is acidic). However, some people have trace minerals in their water that react with the vinegar to make weird smelling solids that don't rinse out, so vinegar rinses don't work for everyone. Vinegar is also supposed to be bad for certain types of synthetic fabrics, I think.

I would also add that it is NORMAL to have hard water. Normal hard water is not a problem. The problem is VERY VERY hard water, that has a lot of minerals and stuff in it. People on well water, in very arid places, and/or in places with a lot of natural limestone formations, are more likely to have this type of water. It makes it very hard to get your laundry clean, or to rinse out your hair properly in the shower, and you get big water stains on your tub, sink, dishes, etc. The calcium and magnesium in hard water like to form solid precipitates with your soap or detergent, and prevent them from working as effectively.

March 31st, 2011, 02:48 PM

March 31st, 2011, 06:10 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Wow, so much good information! Thank you for taking the time to type all of this!
January 27th, 2012, 10:06 PM
This thread has lots of great Cloth Diapering information and I know in the diaper thread some ladies were talking about it. So I thought I would bump it to share with newer ladies. Have fun!

January 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
Awesome info! We CD'd Kaiya, and we used a diaper service. They provided us with prefolds (a certain number each week, price depended on how many we chose to have each week) and 5 PUL covers and a couple Snappis. I loved it! DH took part in changing too. We would just put the prefolds in a pail (also provided by the service) and wipe out the cover, change the prefold. If the covers got dirty from poo we washed those our selves at home. 1-2 times a week we would put the bag of dirties on the portch on a pick up day, and they would come and pick them up and replace them with a bag of clean prefolds! It was awesome. Even paying for the service we still saved a bunch over buying sposies all the time. This time we are going to cloth diaper again and I am going to give it a go with washing myself. I'm going with pre-folds and covers again because I really liked them and am used to them. I might try a few pockets in the stash just to try them out.

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search