Midwife or OB

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What are your thoughts? Which do you use, and why?

April 4th, 2011, 11:12 AM
mom2moose
I'm using an OB, as I did with DD. We live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't even any midwives around. I love my OB anyways, so I'm fine with it.

I just feel more comfortable with the doctor and hospital setting than anything else, I guess.
April 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
OB because my husband is paranoid and it doesn't matter to me either way. I love the doctors in our medical group anyway, so it makes it an easy decision.
April 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OB. I love my OB, he's super nice and all the doctors in the practice are really good, it's a nice clinic.

I do sort of wish I could have a midwife (and a home birth, etc) but I wouldn't want one with dubious training and certifications, and that's all I could get around here.

April 4th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Midwife - and homebirth all the way! I <3 my midwives and from what I've read I'm safer planning a home birth than planning a hospital birth (given that they have awesome training and are government funded and regulated here and can deliver at the hospital or transfer as needed). We are so so lucky here in Canada for that!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
April 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
OB and Perinatologist. I don't have a choice as far as hospital or home and no midwife will see me. We'll see who ends up delivering me. I've had a perinatologist for all but my first.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 4th, 2011, 05:00 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am hoping to find an OB that won't send me to a perinatologist due to my age. I had a midwife with my youngest son and it was an awesome experience - no IV or anything... with my m/c history I don't think they will take me at the birthing center though.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
ItsFinallyOct's Avatar Super Mommy
OB, the last time I used a birth center..they were nice, but I lost the baby and feel like I missed out on so much...no U/Ss or anything. I feel like if I would have had some U/S's early on, maybe they would have noticed something that would have prevented it. Nothing against...birth centers/midwives, I know they're great. I want U/Ss every chance I get and the best technology...paranoid...yes
April 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Both I am in a practice where I see the high-risk OB for this pregnancy. It is because of the clotting issue. BUT, once I am settled and possibly not psycho anymore (hmmm, IF that happens) I will rotate among the midwives and hopefully have one of them present at the birth. I was 100% midwives with Liam and I loved my experience. But we have no birthing centers around here and I drive an hour just to have a midwife practice. There are no local ones at all. We hope to have another hospital, midwife, natural birth. If we are so lucky!
April 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I had a midwife for my first two although I technically had both in the delivery room for my DD. Only had my midwife for my DS delivery . I have an OB this time. He has been with me the last couple years. I just hope he is the one to deliver me because that would be great. I love midwives though and my dr office has some. They may deliver if they are on call.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 4th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Miscarriages alone don't make you high risk. And I had 3 U/Ss with my midwives

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
April 5th, 2011, 09:59 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
Miscarriages alone don't make you high risk. And I had 3 U/Ss with my midwives
What about being 42 years old? Does anyone know if age automatically puts you in high risk? I am hoping not.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 5th, 2011, 10:06 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see both. I go to a large practice with many OB's and a MW, I have seen the MW almost exclusively for this pregnancy, but she does not have delivery privileges at the hospital (and can't do home births) so I'll be delivered by whomever is on call when I give birth.

I am high risk because I am 35, had Pre E with my daughter, lost a pregnancy last year due to a subchorionic hemorrhage and had one in the beginning of this pregnancy as well.

April 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
What about being 42 years old? Does anyone know if age automatically puts you in high risk? I am hoping not.
My midwifery group does a risk assessment where you score points for various things. If you accumulate over 3 points, you have to be evaluated by their consulting OB to determine if you are safe for a home birth (this would not be the same for a midwife attended hospital birth). My midwife told me that the oldest mom that they have attended a home birth with was 45.

In looking through the risk assessment form, being 40 or over was either 1 or 3 points, I can't remember.
Having 1 miscarriage didn't score any points, but having 2 consecutive miscarriages scored me 1 point. 3 or more consecutive miscarriages was 3 points (and I think one point if you had 3 non-consecutive).

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
April 5th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am using a midwife now because I am planning a home birth. The group I am using has four midwives (LMs, who received 3 years of formal midwifery training and are licensed and insured), and two will attend the birth. They also will stay with me throughout if for some reason I have to transfer to the hospital during the birth. This is the same group of midwives that delivered my daughter at a local free standing birth center 7.5 years ago, and I know that they are excellent. They will order appropriate testing and know what is safe and what is not. Having a PhD in research myself, I have been impressed when talking to my midwife and she is very up-to-date on the literature. She even teaches women's health to local nursing students. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I got two early ultrasounds for dating and viability with their consulting OB.

I did start off with an OB this pregnancy, as he had followed me through my two miscarriages. I have nothing against him, he just doesn't do home births, and he doesn't stay at the bedside through labor. My last appointment with him was at 8 weeks. I would transfer back to him if for some reason I risk out of a home birth (e.g., develop gest. diabetes or other issues).

I am also getting all the testing that I want done because of my age with the fetal medicine group at my local hospital (this was ordered by the OB, but my midwives planned on ordering it, too, if I agreed). I already had my NT ultrasound and blood work last week, and I go back for the quad screen, anatomy ultrasound, and genetics counseling next month.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search