New and a question

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I lost my baby girl at 34 weeks in December. I recently have become pregnant and I am sure like all of you am absolutely worried. I work at a hospital and the ultrasound tech let me do an ultrasound today because based on dates I would be 6 weeks 3 days and thought we might be able to see the heartbeat. On measurement I was only 5 weeks 2 days. She said the gestational sac looked good and but wasn't sure if there was a start of the fetal pole. I am wondering if there is any way my dates could be off, I am solely going off LMP. I have an ultrasound next Friday also and am hoping that we will see a heartbeat then. For you ladies that have had a blighted ovum does this sound like one to you? Thanks in advance!
April 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
mom2moose
You could have ovulated later, which would put your due date later. It's not unusual to be off my a few days, either way.

Sorry about your loss! How awful to have such a late loss. This board is great for all your worries and concerns. We've all been there ourselves.

I hope you have an uneventful and boring nine months!!
April 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm so sorry about your recent loss that must have been really hard.

Very early ultrasounds (around or before 6 weeks) are often way off. Anything within one week of your expected gestation is considered "good" and you were only one day off that, which could easily be due to a slightly late ovulation (i.e. if your normal menstrual cycle is 30 days rather than 28), so I wouldn't worry.

Since the tech said the sac looked good, I would not suspect blighted ovum. Usually the shape of the sac being bad (collapsed) will indicate that it might not be viable, but if your sac looked good and it was just too early, that is no big deal.

I hope you get great news at your followup!!! Good luck!!!!!

April 5th, 2011, 05:49 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the other ladies that early ultrasounds can be off, and can cause a lot of undue worry. You definitely could have ovulated late. KUP on your next u/s!
April 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
That early they can be off by up to a week. Sounds like things are great. You very easily could have ovulated late. We are here to help you through this. Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 5th, 2011, 07:09 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was it an internal or external ultrasound? That can be a huge difference early on as well. I am so sorry for your loss.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Thank you very much for your responses! It is so hard not to get worried. I only had an external done would this cause a huge difference? I just wanted to give you a little background about me. I actually had a pretty uneventful pregnancy other than the normal woes. Mia Rose was measuring right on track for the whole pregnancy. We went in for our routine visit when I was 34 weeks and we couldn't find a heartbeat. It was really weird because literally 8 hours before that I felt her moving like crazy. I had a busy day in the ER and we were in a middle of a code so it is a little hard to be intuned to your body, so I really am not sure when she stopped moving as much. We later found out that I have Protein S deficiency. I am now on Lovenox. Also working in the ER I see a lot of losses and it is so hard not to think that this is going to happen to me. I hope all of you will have a happy and healthy 9 months.
April 6th, 2011, 08:04 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
An external at this point makes a HUGE HUGE difference!!! It is so much harder to see anything. I would bet that you are closer to being on track than you think. Most definitely make sure you get an internal ultrasound next time. I am hoping you are pleasantly surprised!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
An external at this point makes a HUGE HUGE difference!!! It is so much harder to see anything. I would bet that you are closer to being on track than you think. Most definitely make sure you get an internal ultrasound next time. I am hoping you are pleasantly surprised!

External this early your lucky to be able to see anything! When do you have your first appt?

April 6th, 2011, 10:15 AM
My first ultrasound is April 15th, so I should be 7 weeks 6 days by LMP. I already had an appointment because they wanted me on Lovenox as soon as I got a positive pregnancy test. I had routine blood work done but no betas.
April 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
The ladies are RIGHT!! An external ultrasound at that gestation...you are lucky to have seen even the sac. I bet you are way more on track then you think. The fetal pole is sooooo tiny at that stage, it would be nearly impossible to see externally. I hope your next ultrasounds shows a lot more (at our 7 weeks, 6 days one it was external and we saw a little dino, if that helps at all).

I am on Lovenox this pregnancy too. But I am very, very sorry you did not find out about the protien issue until too late for your daughter. That must have been so incredibly hard I think there are a couple of us in here who are on the shots, so we can all do it together
April 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the others, external is hard to see anything that early! Just for reassurance though, my son's EDD was originally Nov 4th but moved to Nov 10th after dating, and my last loss was also moved back 13 days so going solely off your LMP it's very possible things are just fine
April 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Once again ladies thank you so much for all of your encouraging words. I can't wait for one more week to hopefully see that heartbeat.
April 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
dreamer10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I too am very sorry for the your loss of Mia Rose, that must be devastating.

I have to agree with the other ladies whole heartedly....at this early stage you need to have an internal u/s, the baby is just too dang small to see from the outside. I am sure you will get better news at your next u/s. Congrats on being pregnant again!

Our rainbow baby Brynlee Sue was born August 17th after four heartbreaking loses! Life is an amazing journey. Hang on, keep your faith and try to always move forward!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search