I broke down...update #7

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I called the dr to see if they can give me an u/s friday with my 8 week appt...I'll probably ask for one at 12 weeks too...it's just causing me way to much stress and anxiety! So we'll see what they say, I think they'll likely say yes anyways. Also, a FB page I "like" posted about needing pregnant women for free u/s trainings in early may so I might be doing that as well! Its so ironic because someone in the DDC talked about getting a free u/s and I was just looking that up this morning LOL So I'll let you guys know when the dr calls back!

Last edited by AZsnowflake; April 13th, 2011 at 05:36 PM.
April 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
mom2moose
I got 2 u/s's before 11 weeks, to ease my mind. They never gave me any hassle over it. I just wanted to see that little heart beating. I doubt they will deny you, seeing you have a history too. Anything for reassurance!!!
April 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure you will find a way to get those u/s I am already hoping that I get a u/s at my first OB appt at 10 weeks, and then I am doing the NT scan- score! I can understand about the anxiety, though
April 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I hope you get them both to help you get through this.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I hope you get both. I was able to get 2 but only because they couldn't find a heartbeat at my 12 week appt. I don't see why, if they have a machine there, they don't just give you one every single appt. I guess that would be too easy though and they like to make things hard for us.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They didn't call me back today and they close in ten minutes. Guess I'll have to call again tomorrow!
April 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok nevermind, they called right after this and said their u/s tech isn't there on fridays but they could schedule me one for next week...but she also said "you're still really early, so obviously something COULD happen, but after a certain point we won't be able to just keep giving you ultrasounds..." so she kinda made me feel bad for asking for one I'm looking into NT scans now because if our insurance will cover it i think we'll do that just for another chance to see babe. But I kinda feel like a child who got scolded for something right now, I can't help that I'm scared and upset and freaking out, I don't know why it's a big deal if they have the machine in office, other people I know get one EVERY SINGLE APPT if it's in office!
April 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry the lady on the phone was so mean but hey, it sounds like you will get your u/s after all!!!!! That's great!

Different doctors offices have much different policies on u/s. The fact is that there is some risk to the fetus from use of u/s, especially early in pregnancy (embryonic stage). It is very very minimal when the u/s is done by a medically trained tech using properly calibrated equipment, and Dopplers (which use more intense sound waves) also have some effect on the fetus. Different doctors interpret the risks differently, and some are much more "stingy" with u/s than others... it's not just a cost and limited techs/time thing... although the latter is a big factor too. Anyway, just an FYI!!!

April 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, she definitely didn't have to be so rude about it! Did you say, "Well at a certain point I won't be able to continue to pay for care at an office with such snotty staff." ? Ugh, I hate rude people.

But yay for getting the u/s!!!
April 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
LoL Nicole I love your comment.

I agree she did not have to say that, people are so ignorant and really need to think before they speak. It's not like you were just asking for sonograms out the wazoo you were asking cause you have concerns and fears and with good reason, I would talk to the dr when you are there this week, i am sure they will understand
April 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would just ignore the nasty lady - getting what you want and need is so much more important!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 13th, 2011, 09:25 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I would say thanks I will take the one next week. Mean lady. Ignore her she has no idea what you are going through.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 13th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I think a lot of the time health professionals don't understand how much reassurance a quick u/s can give you... It's not like you want a 2 hour u/s - just a quick 1 minute to check things are okay... it's not asking for much at the end of the day

April 14th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea, so it was actually the dr that had said that to me!! Kinda blew me away because during my m/c and talking about subsequent pregnancy she said (and I quote) "When you get pregnant again, we'll moniter you by your blood levels until we think we can see something by u/s at which point we'll MONITER you by u/s"....umm when you say moniter that seems to me like I won't just be getting one!!!!! so whatever, at least I will get it...I'm not planning on asking for one every week or anything but I don't think asking for a second one to confirm growth is asking too much! NOR do I think if I wanted one at 12 weeks for a final reassurance that babe is still on track that that would be too much either! Ugh Looks like we're doing the NT scan if insurance covers it...which seems like if insurance knew why we were doing those tests (just for an extra u/s) they'd just want the dr to freaking give me one anyways! Ok rant over, thanks ladies
April 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I'd look for a new doctor. Then again, I cannot stand rude people and I tend to hold grudges. I'd never be able to look at her the same again. I'd probably say something extremely mean to her.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
April 14th, 2011, 10:46 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I'd probably look for a new doctor too. One reason I love my peri is if I start freaking out, I can call and come in anytime. I'm sure after what happened with my last pregnancy with him, he will be even more lenient.

April 14th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea, it really surprised me that she said that. My dr is very soft spoken, and the way she said it wasn't rude, but she obviously just wanted to make it clear to me that I couldn't have an u/s every week or something (which I wasn't asking for!). I really like their offices though, and my friends that have girl OBGYNs (I can't do guys) their offices are kidna....I don't know, just nothing compared to the offices my Dr has which, granted, is in a super nice part of town. I've also been with them for going on 10 years so it'd be hard to switch. I am going to ask for a VBAC so I need to see her reaction to that, if she's hesitant or against it I'll definitly be seeking a second opinion...I just feel like the office knows me, the staff is super super nice, and if I were to switch I'd feel like an idiot for calling as much as I do (I've called like 4 times when I felt "cramping") or asking for an u/s. Ugh, I don't know it's just very hard for me to think about switching dr's!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search